Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So let's say you're playing Ascendancy, and the Romulan player runs his scout ship into your territory. First Contact! Let's do a trade agreement. But the Romulans, being a suspicious lot, don't want to simply exchange cards and move on with life. No, they're concerned that you might screw them over. So they make a proposition:

"You give us a trade agreement now, and next round, we'll give you one of the same value. That way, you can't benefit from trade unless we do."

Speaking as the romulans' rival, how receptive would you be to this proposal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it depends the situation

on one side, each getting resources the same turn is fair.

on the other, as long as you dont have their trade agreement you are still hostile to them and cant move through their systems, while you might have reasons to move this turn and cant wait.

i wonder if that exhausted trade would allow romulans to move through that player's systems, i think not.

i feel that a situation where only one side holds a trade agreement may cause some strange situations.

what you could do is ask them to give a higher trade agreement than yours, so while you have to wait a turn, you end up with more resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i wonder if that exhausted trade would allow romulans to move through that player's systems, i think not.

I would assume it does. Although you cannot "use" an exhausted card, you still "have" it.

I would have to re-read the rules on moving through rivals systems to determine who can go where if only one side has a trade agreement. Regardless, if the non-romulan player REALLY wanted to pass through romulan space, he could receive a trade agreement for the round to facilitate movement, which would then (per agreement) be revoked before the end phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, i think that the rule simulates the romulans fearing a trap/ambush so while a rival says they can enter their space unharmed, the romulans simply dont believe them/dont dare to make use of it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I think if you get a trade agreement than you have to give them one. You could offer them a 1 trade agreement and promise them a 2 or 3 in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
I think if you get a trade agreement than you have to give them one. You could offer them a 1 trade agreement and promise them a 2 or 3 in the next round.

this was my impression as well. although i havent heard an official word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

Whether that's true or not is debatable, but either way, it's irrelevant, since trade agreements can be recalled at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
To make a trade players need to have their ships adjacent, or be adjacent to a system with a control node.

I wouldn't give the Romulans a trade agreement without receiving one back immediately because my ships might not be near their ships or systems next turn.

Romulan players will just have to suck it up imho. Every faction has it's advantages and disadvantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In this scenario, the Romulan player would volunteer to leave a ship adjacent to be one of your systems to facilitate trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
In this scenario, the Romulan player would volunteer to leave a ship adjacent to be one of your systems to facilitate trade.

You know what they say about trusting a Romulan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Novacat wrote:

You know what they say about trusting a Romulan...

Really, one ship isn't a threat, especially if you have ships of your own in that system.

Plus, that's super racist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would it feel more equitable for you if the Romulan player asked for your 3-production card, and offered you his 1-production card, with the promise that he will upgrade it in each of the next two rounds, until you have his 3-production card also.

That way, in the first round, you've gained 1 production, and the romulan player has gotten nothing. In the second round, the romulan has gained 3, and you have also gained 3 (1+2). Then you both get 3 per round.

This requires a little trust on behalf of the romulan, of course, since the rival can still screw him over and get a free production token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Actually one ship is a threat, unless you have ships to counter them.

At first I also thought big fleets are required but a single ship can destroy a node of its choice and no trade agreement = no peace.

Two or three ships can do a lot of damage in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
Yeah I don't get the point.

If the romulan doesn't give you the deal next turn you just revoke before they get to use it anyway.

I don't really see how this is a drawback for the romulans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.