Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hexagonal Map Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Wiley
Japan
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
So I am planning on making a variant of the game that uses hexagonal map pieces instead of square ones. I'm more interested in making lots of individual, one-tile hexagons that are flipped when a unit is adjacent to it, without costing movement. This is instead of having a big map piece with lots of tiles on it(like the base game). My question is, what else would need to be changed to maintain balance in the game?

1. Obviously, Spain would need to be reworked. It could be that they get a free building when they discover a natural wonder/relic? Or it could be that they gain double resources from natural wonders in their outskirts or double effects from relics?

2. I want to use the same building pieces, but have it do that they are counted IN ADDITION to the resources on the tile underneath. Would this screw up balance?

3. Do you think a mechanic where moving on a mountain ends ends your movement, but extends sight on unexplored tiles by another hex would be balanced? The ending movement part of it could be obsoleted by a tier 3 or 4 tech? Maybe a mountain ending your movement doesn't apply to scouts?

4. I want to make some nice looking pieces for this variant, but I want it to be modular as well so that I can mix and match other expansions and variants, like Dawn of Civilization(which I might also print out). Any comments on this?

Thanks for any ideas, comments, or suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting concept. I'm subscribing to follow your progress. Without getting into any details about individual Civ abilities, I'm thinking that individual tiles would be too tedious and disrupting the movement mechanic too much of a change. You might consider larger hexes containing 3 smaller ones to a side. Each large hex would contain 19 smaller ones, which is close to the 16 squares in the base tiles. Of course, if you make each side of the smaller hexes the same size as the city/building squares, those pieces will fit nicely and fill most of the smaller hexes. I haven't thought about how to piece the large hexes into a playable board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wiley
Japan
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
I was thinking that it might be tedious, so I'm planning on making a tray or a frame to hold the pieces to keep them from moving all over the place. I think the movement mechanic will be even more natural than the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a complete rework of the original game!

One thing to keep in mind is that on a hexagonal grid, a city would have only 6 tiles in its outskirts compared to the 8 in the square grid. This would probably impact gameplay significantly, reducing trade and production of cities. Using this in conjunction with your #2 idea might make up for this. However, it would make grasslands less desirable overall I think (unless you plan to get Universities or Aqueducts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercuric wrote:
Sounds like a complete rework of the original game!

One thing to keep in mind is that on a hexagonal grid, a city would have only 6 tiles in its outskirts compared to the 8 in the square grid. This would probably impact gameplay significantly, reducing trade and production of cities. Using this in conjunction with your #2 idea might make up for this. However, it would make grasslands less desirable overall I think (unless you plan to get Universities or Aqueducts).

I have a thought... make the hex pieces consist of squares as in the original, with diagonals cut at the corners and matched to the adjacent hex! The four corners could be basic mountain, forest, desert or sea, and those that don't fit together in a random setup could be either type (or forced to fit/orient in a certain direction). Each hex would still be 4x4, with the corners only half a square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
rian222 wrote:
Dawn of Civilization(which I might also print out).

thanks for the honors ^^

hexagonal maps would be a nice interesting revamp of the game, maybe a civ 6 variant of the game with hextiles might be feasable, althou it would need complete rebalances. (ghosh so many ideas in my head <.<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.