Subject: Brand new player...boosters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Beller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Ok...so I am a new player. I took the plunge, bought the Blessed vs Cursed duel deck pack and the Deckbuilders toolkit (Shadows over Innistrad).
I got into this game right after Eldritch Moon released.

Buying more boosters, my question is....what should I focus on buying? Only Eldritch Moon? What about Shadows? Maybe a mix of the two?

In a few weeks or so, I want to check out the FNM....but I am no where near ready to jump into that. Although, I am thinking about maybe going to introduce myself this coming Friday. I understand the basics of the game and deckbuilding, not a stranger to it....but I have never played.

I just know there are a number of different boosters available for purchase...I want to know which ones are worth my time and money right now and looking towards the near future.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give the standard answer that most established players give, and that is, "Don't buy boosters."

I know what you're probably thinking, "this guy is some hardcore tournament player. He doesn't know what it's like to be new anymore."

Nope. I'm a dad with two little ones who only has time to play casually once every three months.

And I was in your shoes four or five years ago. If I wasn't on my phone, I'd find you my old BGG posts on these forums asking the same question about what boosters to buy.

Fast forward and I can honestly tell you not to buy boosters. Just get to know TCGPlayer.com and buy the cards you want. You can make awesome casual, FNM-competitive, or top-level competitive decks buy buying singles.

Online shops buy boosters by the caseload (literally) and then sell singles. Let them do the leg-work, and save yourself the headache of boosters.

Sure, you "could" buy a booster for $4 and pull a $20 card, but more often than not, you'll pull $1 worth of cards and feel like you got ripped off.

The ONLY time a booster pack is "worth it" is when your drafting.

You may not listen to this advice. I didn't. It took me a long time to realize how much I wasted chasing cards through boosters. But if not, it's still a fun journey to play Magic. Good luck and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply....and I do (I believe) understand what you are saying.

But....for me...part of the excitement of this game is opening the packs and seeing what's inside. For me, a big part of the game is the discovery of what's out there. The feeling of being ripped off because a booster didn't have a specific card isn't really a concern of mine, as I will not be looming to sell for high anyways. I just wanna have fun seeing what I get and seeing if the cards will work with what I already have.

I was wondering if the packs from previous sets were worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you are playing for.

Is it just to fool around at home? then any pack will be fine.

If you plan on playing in FNM than it depends on the format. I am pretty sure that is often a Standard event. That means (pretty much) any pack in the last two years will have legal cards. Shadows over Innestrad and Eldritch Moon both have synergies that work with each other. My suggestion is to go look at the setlists for these and see what commons and uncommons seem most appealing to you and then get those packs.

As the guy above posted buying packs is now more than every a losing proposition. I am not a huge player, but I typically buy a box (36 boosters) of each set and then use those to draft with my friends and trade or buy the other cards that I want. I do not buy them right as they come out. I wait until I can pick them up between $80-$90. I do not play standard, I mostly play Commander and sometimes I draft when I have a chance, a few times a year.

But seriously if you want to make a good deck it would be better to figure out the cards you want for a deck and then pick those up as singles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Red Hook
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mynnotaur wrote:
But....for me...part of the excitement of this game is opening the packs and seeing what's inside. For me, a big part of the game is the discovery of what's out there.

In that case, grab some friends and three boosters each and draft it. It'll be the best way to see the set, open boosters, and have fun without feeling ripped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
It depends how you find yourself enjoying to play. My son and I began playing Magic about a month ago. I'd found that the youtube videos of The Professor (Tolarian Community College) were excellent guides to getting into Magic, styles of play, and the value of various MTG products.

First, I'd recommend getting and playing the hell out of the video game, Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014. It'll teach you many of the game's rule nuances while familiarizing your with cards, abilities, and strategy. There are more recent products, Magic Origins for example, but I hear mixed reviews of them. DPW 2014 is cheap (<$10) and will give you dozens of hours of play, including play in a sealed format.

Then it depends, if as Brian says you know the cards you want in a deck, fantastic! Go buy them online or at a local store for cheap. However, if you're like us and have no idea what cards you want, consider buying products with boosters, or better yet participating in _sealed_ events at your local store in Friday night Magic get-togethers. At such events you typically draft a deck from six boosters. You get to keep all the cards from your boosters and more importantly, if you're like my son and I, you might find you enjoy drafting a deck as much or even more than playing the game. Crafting a deck, whether through a draft or on the kitchen table, is a key element of the success of MTG. Just look at all the games that have emulated the "mechanic" starting with Dominion.

As for which set, we started with Magic Origins and M2014 core sets, because we saw them as foundations to a larger collection. I have to admit, I'm partial to the M2014 set because the Duels game has given me a familiarity with the cards and combos.

I think the basic take-away is not to buy boosters hoping to make money. buy them to play in sealed formats ... then add them to your pool for use in Commander, kitchen table, FNM decks, and (rarely) Standard/Modern decks.

Have fun while doing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.