Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tribute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JC
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We absolutely fell in love with Roll through the ages the bronze age (late), so I decided to buy this one. It feels different but in a good way. I really like the different victory paths.
Anyway, during our last game yesterday, we were not sure how tribute works.
So I rolled the fate dice on the tribute side, I had 6 military and my wife only 1 so I potentially would have won 5 tributes (wich is 5 victory points at the end of the game) andshe decided to give me one good.
We found this very unfair, only One good is not a big deal, I have lost 5 vp and won only 1 good.
Is it the right way to play it or do you give one good per tribute (in this case she would have given me 4 goods?).

Thanks all folks ;
) and thanks Thomas for this awesome game (again !!!, and for the best game in the world Race for the galaxy , I am desperated to see this game on ipad I know that s not gonna happen cry ))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I feel the same way. I got the impression military is not as lucrative in a2 player game as it is in a four player game. I'm curious to see some of the replies on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RFTGJC wrote:
Is it the right way to play it?

Yes. The point of this rule is to force a player who is low on military to have to keep 1 good on hand at all times or risk their opponent scoring lots of VPs via Tribute. Sometimes, this means they won't be able to buy the development they want (or the next Port or save goods as wealth) in order to keep a good on hand. Alternatively, they can "bet" that you won't roll Tribute, spend that good, and risk you getting a bunch of points.

For the Military player, if your opponent is always keeping a good on hand, then you want to go for Omen/Conquest results on the Fate die. Leadership will help you do this...

Of course, in a four player game, with two people low on Military, you can make twice as much from Tribute demands. But, then you have the issue that the fourth player might be going big Military as well (perhaps, with a Navy) so you might have to keep 1 good yourself to guard against Tribute demands on you. So, yes, in a 4-player game, the Military player is generally able to make more money from Tribute but often faces competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your quick reply and explanation!!!!
It makes more sense to me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, I suggested a variant where you still get 1 Tribute if the opponent decides to give you a good, but only if you were going to receive 3 or more Tribute instead. Not tested, but I've also had very few chances to play this game MP as well, so I have yet to see first hand the effects of giving a good is, as written.

Tom Lehmann wrote:
RFTGJC wrote:
Is it the right way to play it?

Yes. The point of this rule is to force a player who is low on military to have to keep 1 good on hand at all times or risk their opponent scoring lots of VPs via Tribute. Sometimes, this means they won't be able to buy the development they want (or the next Port or save goods as wealth) in order to keep a good on hand. Alternatively, they can "bet" that you won't roll Tribute, spend that good, and risk you getting a bunch of points.

For the Military player, if your opponent is always keeping a good on hand, then you want to go for Omen/Conquest results on the Fate die. Leadership will help you do this...

Of course, in a four player game, with two people low on Military, you can make twice as much from Tribute demands. But, then you have the issue that the fourth player might be going big Military as well (perhaps, with a Navy) so you might have to keep 1 good yourself to guard against Tribute demands on you. So, yes, in a 4-player game, the Military player is generally able to make more money from Tribute but often faces competition.

It seems Invasion (5+ skulls) would be especially nice. Even if you don't win, you're still sticking your opponents with more Disasters/penalty points than you'd be getting, so net effect is you're still coming out ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Yeah I feel the same way. I got the impression military is not as lucrative in a2 player game as it is in a four player game. I'm curious to see some of the replies on this.

Recently played this in a 4p game. Short game. I was the only vet in the game.

It's only one game and anecdotal at that, but Tom's comments seem spot on thus far. Me and another player got into strength early on. I was able to roll Tribute twice, whereas another player ended up rolling it once or twice. Majority of the time, the 2 other players lagging behind in military early to mid game could've passed along a good to keep me and the other "military player" from getting 3 to 4 Tribute points, but declined. It does seem to be a trivial, but still 'painful' upkeep to maintain just for that purpose. And doing so seems like it would've hampered with their short term plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.