Subject: What can neutral US and USSR do before entering the war? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I've seen mixed comments in the forum. From one Q&A, they can only move units by TRS and perform LL. From other session reports, move and fight, eg, USSR invading Near East. Can they at least move units within home country? In one game the Axis conquered Turkey before USSR entry and the Soviets could not move to reinforce the Caucauses, being frozen in place (of course, could build there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It is probably easier to say what neutral major power cannot do. I'll offer a list from the top of my head and please accept my apologies if I overlook something.

Neutral major powers...

(1) cannot freely declare war. See 3.2 in the rules. The USA can't declare war on anyone. The USSR can declare war on most countries except Germany and those minors in the (I'm using a loose term here) German sphere of influence.

(2) cannot produce fully. See 7.7. A neutral major power's entry level is also the number of its own total Oil + Resources it may use (to buy stuff, or to give away via Lend Lease).

(3) cannot move units to a sea area other than a TRS or LL. See 4.2. Other units may rebase (see 5.1), but the rebase must start and end in a land area in the unit's home country.

(4) cannot move land units outside of the unit's home country unless the unit is a GAR. See 5.2.

That's a fair bit of restriction, but there are some things you can do. The USA, for example, could use a TRS to move a GAR to reinforce Midway or the Philippines. Or the USA could build up the 6th Army (located in Hawaiian Islands) during the Builds phase. However, the USA cannot withdraw the Pacific Fleet from the Hawaiian Islands back to the west coast (while a rebase is legal, the unit rebasing must start, as well as end, its rebase in its home country; the Pacific Fleet is not in its home country at start so it cannot rebase).

The USSR may declare war on the Near East or Japan. However if Germany declares war on Turkey, the USSR cannot move in to Turkey. However the USSR could definitely reposition its troops inside the USSR to get ready for the coming battle.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Thanks, Dave. Let me say, after some misgivings I've come to appreciate the subtlety and depth of the game. A real star! And thanks for being so active and respsonsive to rules questions. Much appreciated.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks Jon ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tower
United States
Bridgewater
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see below you state that the garrison can be transported to Philippines but I don't see how because any route is more than 6mp's away

I am currently playing usa and hope I am wrong...please show me the route

port to port

DaveLeLacheur wrote:
It is probably easier to say what neutral major power cannot do. I'll offer a list from the top of my head and please accept my apologies if I overlook something.

Neutral major powers...

(3) cannot move units to a sea area other than a TRS or LL. See 4.2. Other units may rebase (see 5.1), but the rebase must start and end in a land area in the unit's home country.

(4) cannot move land units outside of the unit's home country unless the unit is a GAR. See 5.2.

That's a fair bit of restriction, but there are some things you can do. The USA, for example, could use a TRS to move a GAR to reinforce Midway or the Philippines. Or the USA could build up the 6th Army (located in Hawaiian Islands) during the Builds phase. However, the USA cannot withdraw the Pacific Fleet from the Hawaiian Islands back to the west coast (while a rebase is legal, the unit rebasing must start, as well as end, its rebase in its home country; the Pacific Fleet is not in its home country at start so it cannot rebase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I don't understand your 'more than 6mps' to the Philippines.

It looks like 5mps total from West Coast to Mindanao. And 6mps to Manila.
(USA WC Sea, NE Pac, Micron, Leyte Gulf, Mindanao) or
(USA WC Sea, NE Pac, Micron, Leyte Gulf, S China Sea, Manila)

Note: USA and Japan not at war, so can move thru any sea area.

So a TRS while rebasing phase(2mps X 3 = 6mps total) can carry GAR unit port to port in one move.

Or a TRS can just do normal move of 2mps carrying GAR unit per move(but it will take 3 moves total).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Steve is 100% correct, thank you Steve.

It's a fun move to try Craig. As Japan, I usually try to make sure that the TRS never gets home alive, as a lesson (and hopefully future deterrent to such nasty behavior) to the USA player ;-).

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tower
United States
Bridgewater
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tranasport needs to be back to home country at end of movement though right? So it needs movement to and fro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NO per Dave. TRS and LL units are free to move as they like. Port to port. Port to sea. Or Sea to port.
DaveLeLacheur wrote:
(3) cannot move units to a sea area other than a TRS or LL.

So if TRS or LL unit is out to sea at end of turn. It's not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GenChaos wrote:
NO per Dave. TRS and LL units are free to move as they like. Port to port. Port to sea. Or Sea to port.
DaveLeLacheur wrote:
(3) cannot move units to a sea area other than a TRS or LL.

So if TRS or LL unit is out to sea at end of turn. It's not a problem.

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tower
United States
Bridgewater
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
USA starts with 6th army outside of home country this isnt able to move still

USA cannot move 6th Army on T1 to manila or Midway though...only a garrison correct?

So T2 they could move the pac command to a USA island area if they chose that garrison on T1 right?

Thanks guys this is soo friggin helpful...I am really enjoying the challenges this game presents im 1 on 1 on vassal and looking fwd to 2 vs 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds correct to me. 6th Army stuck until US enters War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes that is correct, 6th Army can't move. You can build it up though. Cheers, Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gromenauer Jaaarl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveLeLacheur wrote:

Neutral major powers...

(1) cannot freely declare war. See 3.2 in the rules. The USA can't declare war on anyone. The USSR can declare war on most countries except Germany and those minors in the (I'm using a loose term here) German sphere of influence.

(2) cannot produce fully. See 7.7. A neutral major power's entry level is also the number of its own total Oil + Resources it may use (to buy stuff, or to give away via Lend Lease).

So, a neutral USA can have a free blitz, can't it?

DaveLeLacheur wrote:

The USSR may declare war on the Near East or Japan. However if Germany declares war on Turkey, the USSR cannot move in to Turkey. However the USSR could definitely reposition its troops inside the USSR to get ready for the coming battle.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dave L.

Is the previous paragraph true? Rules:

Quote:
5.1 Rebase Air and Naval Units

Any naval unit in a Port may rebase to any friendly Port where it can stack (see 1.3), provided it did not move to a sea area earlier in this activity phase (see 4.2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi. Yes a neutral USA can do a free blitz. And yes you can rebase around the neutral USA's naval units. However please note this restriction:

"Naval and air units controlled by a neutral major power may rebase, but the rebase move must start and end in a land area in the unit's home country."

USA naval units in the Hawaiian Islands therefore may not rebase out, nor may additional naval units rebase to there, while the USA is neutral. The USA would rebase naval units from the east coast to the west coast of the USA, however.

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gromenauer Jaaarl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, and so the restriction for home country is only for neutrals. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.