Subject: Strike path, fired and recovery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Rule [+] summary [+] [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to wrap my head around the rules for this interesting game.

Whereas i think the rules are well written, i do struggle with the engagement cycles and order.

First, can the defender decline making a strike path? If so, is it only ranged strikes by air units on the defending side that do not happen, or are naval missile strikes also affected?

Second, when in a cycle are naval units marked 'fired' and air units marked 'recovery'? It would appear that if eg a CV air has participated in an out-of-the-hex strike in the air to air step, is it then immediately labeled 'recovery', thus preventing a ranged anti ship strike later in the same engagement. In the example in the rules it is written that an air unit declines an intercept in order to not get marked. However, the same air participates in several out if the hex attacks in the same engagements and is only labeled at the end.
Which is correct?

The same for naval units; when is the 'fired' label placed?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Ras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ras

Strike paths apply only to air units and are required for air units to make their attacks. See 14.325, "In order to strike, air units must trace a 'strike path' to their target." So an air unit cannot make any sort of attack without first tracing a strike path. An air unit can decline to trace path in which case it cannot strike. Attacks of any kind from other units such as surface ships and submarines do NOT need to trace strike paths; they just happen.

Mark units as follows. Naval units are marked fired "at the end of an engagement" per rule 14.316. Air units are marked "recovery" immediately after they participate in any strike that is not CAP - see rule 14.328.

Let me know if (and where) the example contradicts rule 14.328 so that we can resolve.

Thanks
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

Thank you for the very fast reply.

I think what confuses me is that rule 14.316 says that a unit may make one strike with each of its weapon systems each engagement, and that as soon as an air unit participates in anything other than CAP, it is marked with 'recovery' and is thus 'spent' (my wording) for the remainder of that GQ.

However, when I read the example of play GQ#1 one of the Chinese CV Air units have an out-of-base-hex air-to-air attack and subsequently, also in GQ#1 an anti-ship attack, that must also be ranged I suppose. In any event they are both 'something other than CAP', meaning two strikes. In principle the air unit could also do anti-sub and anti-ground, all of which I would also consider 'other than CAP', which would result in many 'recovery' markers, which is of course not correct.

Finally, to get back to trace strike paths, as defender in an engagement, I may not want to strike back, as that will just put my units at more risk, maybe against a strong attacker. However, I would like to make later anti-ship attacks in the same engagement. Do I then trace a strike path from the start of the engagement, or only later, or not at all.

Thanks again!
Best,
Ras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, pushing counters around, I have a few other questions.

1. As far as I understand, a defender cannot select units in a target hex to NOT participate in an engagement, unless they evaded at the start of the engagement. Correct?

2. When I attack eg in anti-ship and there are several potential target units in the target hex, do I just announce which unit I am going for in the attack, or can the defender select where the hits go? I supposed the former, if I understand the rules correct.

3. Units that defend, they choose whether to fire back or not. If they do fire back, they are also marked 'fired', like the attacker?

4. Defending units that are marked 'fired', they cannot fire back, and must just receive any further attacks?

That's all for now! :-)

Cheers,
Ras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I think what confuses me is that rule 14.316 says that a unit may make one strike with each of its weapon systems each engagement, and that as soon as an air unit participates in anything other than CAP, it is marked with 'recovery' and is thus 'spent' (my wording) for the remainder of that GQ.

I see. The example of play offers the correct interpretation. I think that when writing rule 14.328, which says that air units are marked "recovery" immediately after a strike, I was thinking of those that intercept. Therefore, we should omit 14.328 and refer to 14.316 which indicates that air are marked "recovery" at the end of the engagement like in the example of play.

However, I would like to make later anti-ship attacks in the same engagement. Do I then trace a strike path from the start of the engagement, or only later, or not at all.

See 14.331, trace at the start for all units of both sides.

1. As far as I understand, a defender cannot select units in a target hex to NOT participate in an engagement, unless they evaded at the start of the engagement. Correct?

Correct.

2. When I attack eg in anti-ship and there are several potential target units in the target hex, do I just announce which unit I am going for in the attack, or can the defender select where the hits go? I supposed the former, if I understand the rules correct.

Attacker selects his targets.

3. Units that defend, they choose whether to fire back or not. If they do fire back, they are also marked 'fired', like the attacker?

If they do not fire then they are NOT marked fired.

4. Defending units that are marked 'fired', they cannot fire back, and must just receive any further attacks?

Correct, but they can still defend themselves with MD or AMD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkowskij wrote:
However, I would like to make later anti-ship attacks in the same engagement. Do I then trace a strike path from the start of the engagement, or only later, or not at all.

Excellent, thanks for great help, John.

Last question (for now... ) related to the above.
Is it possible that I initiate an engagement, trace a strike path, but then do NOT make an air-to-air battle, since I only want to use my planes for anti-ship attacks in the same engagement? And if so, will the defender then still be allowed to do an air-to-air attack?

Thanks again!
Ras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
RLarsen wrote:
gorkowskij wrote:

Excellent, thanks for great help, John.

Last question (for now... ) related to the above.
Is it possible that I initiate an engagement, trace a strike path, but then do NOT make an air-to-air battle, since I only want to use my planes for anti-ship attacks in the same engagement? And if so, will the defender then still be allowed to do an air-to-air attack?

Thanks again!
Ras

Yes. Strike paths do not require that the phasing player initiate any air-to-air combat, but they do make him vulnerable to interception in the air by the non-phasing player along that path. Any strike by aircraft requires that they trace such a path. So if you want your planes to conduct an Anti-Ship strike you must trace a strike path to the targeted ship and the other guy may or may not intercept you. Note that attacking planes may not actually be traveling along the entire path, stand off missiles would allow an attack from a distance. But, the path accounts for the fact that those attacking aircraft are in that area and therefore subject to enemy counter action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, cool.
I think I got it.
Thanks for excellent help, and for an interesting game situation.
I hope there will come more in-between scenarios.
Cheers,
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I actually do have one more that relater to recovery.

If I understand correct, then an out of the hex strike by an air unit does not immediately result in it being labeled with 'recovery', and it can then act in the entire engagement procedure and is only marked at the end.
But an air unit that intercepts is marked immediately, and cannot participate in anything but cap for the remainder of the engagement.

Correct?

Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect.
Thanks once more!
Cheers,
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.