Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxwell Menzies
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Please. I'm ruined.

I'm an 18 year old kid who has just started playing board games in the past month.

I bought King of Tokyo, then Smash Up. Now I just purchased Blood Rage.
My dilemma is perpetual, I need help:

I know which board games are relatively popular thanks to this site, but still feel like a child each time I walk into a store and have to ask what game to get next, while owners make D&D or MTG references with other customers I vaguely understand. Looking at the GenCon top-tens (not even knowing such a con existed until recently) and realizing Scythe might have been a better buy than blood rage gets me discouraged, especially considering the prices of such board games.

I need to know the quickest ways on 1) how to navigate this site in order to always stay up to date on board game news and familiarize myself with the hot and not and 2) how to make up the past 18 years of my wasted life spent studying and playing sports and not knowing who the heck Jace is or how to buy my next board game.

It may sound like a sisyphean task, but I'm sure any advice would be helpful. Board game recommendations, books to read, sites to visit, things to look out for. Anything. Please.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
First: You can use "The Hotness" list on the left side to see what the buzz is about right now.

Second: Look at the Geeklists (sorted by Hot / Recent) to get infos about same kind of games; new one year before aso.

Third: Browse: then choose the top 100 games, 100 wargames aso. You get an overview of some of the best games.

Fourth: Find out what kind of games you really like, then ask. Asking is the best and you might get input about games you didn't even thought about.

Tae you time. Some of us are "in games" for more than 40 years. Don't expect yourself being able to cover this time and experience in 2 years.

Most important: Have fun and enjoy gaming together with other real people - not "buddies" on some webservice or mobile devices.

Just my 5 cent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top ten lists won't necessarily reflect what you and your gaming friends will enjoy. Gaming is a fairly personal thing. For example your belief that Scythe is better than Blood Rage... what is that based on?
Take your time and enjoy the journey. If you have gaming friends, treat them like royalty. They are much harder to find than good boardgames.
Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your competitive spirit.

This hobby is but an infant, you've arrived right on time. I suggest finding your own taste in games by playing as many as possible and ignoring the hottness. Got anyone local with a big collection you can sample?

You can play games online for free. Try Board Game Arena. https://en.boardgamearena.com

You got this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How I wish I was young again.

Get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can browse the geek lists and the thematic/family/category/whatever lists in the Board Games section.
The ratings and comments on the game's page can give you a good general estimation about the game.
If you find something interesting, I suggest to watch some reviews and playthroughs on youtube to find out which games suit your taste.
It is much easier to evaluate games while watching the flow of the game and take a look at the components and such through the eyes and cameras of experienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played games when I was younger, DnD, Rifts, Axis and Allies and such but once I moved in high school I never found a gaming crowd and whenever I brought out Medieval Merchant everyone's eyes glazed over and so I fell off of games other than the occasional game of Cranium or its ilk. About two years ago I walked into my FLGS as a 37 year old and asked the owner what I should check out as I was getting back into games. He was great, telling me about games, pulling them off the shelves and explaining the basics of them to me. It became a weekly ritual for me, head in, pick up a game or two and I began the process of learning what I liked and didn't care so much for in games. It has been a great process and I still go in every week, although now I go in much more informed about what I am looking for. I look forward to it every week.

If you have a good local store they may have a library of games to try out and figure out what you like and don't like. A lot of them have board game nights where you can meet people and game. It is all about having fun and we all have to start somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing you've done is wasted.
It's just led to the here and now.
And the here and now might not be the be all and end all it appears to be either.

I'd worry less about trying to be an expert or about acquiring the games that everyone else thinks are great and just worry about working out what you like and what your opinions are.

That means playing as many as you can as others have suggested. The knowledge will come from doing that.

When you're not playing then perhaps muck around with the advanced search tool to have a look at different categories of games and what they look like. Look for geeklists that focus om things you are interested in. Read some reviews. Maybe find some reviewers who appear to like what you like and see if any of them have blogs or whatever that you can read as well or just subscribe to them. Watch some videos. Download some podcasts. I'm "new", I've been listening to "the long view" podcast which takes in depth looks at some classic games, that's a great way to remind yourself that you don't need to chase the latest and greatest and that there is a lot of value to be had out of games that are well crafted and built to last.

I came here to find a civilization game that suited my specific needs. I'm about 20 game purchases in, lots of plays of other games, and haven't actually bought a civ game yet....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a gaming group and play their games. Then you can find out which ones you like before you invest in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a race, you will always arrive at the right time.

Focus on who you will be playing with and the regular numbers to make your purchases count (second hand games I find interesting because of the owners history), otherwise you will be wasting money (unless you can sell it on the geek).

Assess what appeals to you and your audience, Scythe or any other hotness won't interest everyone: is it the mechanisms that interest and how to put them together to advance further than anyone else. A lot of Euros are like that, input than profitable output, sadly this has given rise to the term JASE (Just Another Souless Euro).

Do you prefer more interaction etc?

If it is the stories that appeal, be aware marketing may sell you a potential narrative, but not all succeed.

I think once you get an clearer idea as to what games you've played with your 'loyal' audience that you yourself enjoy, then you have better guidance through this wonderful, multilayered, evolving and enriching hobby which can be addictive and difficult to get a handle on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
bugzonexxx wrote:
Please. I'm ruined.

I'm an 18 year old kid ......

....It may sound like a sisyphean task

Don't worry about "the quickest ways" - they're overratedwhistle
You've got plenty of time.

But, hey, not everyone uses "sisyphean" correctly round here, so kudos for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't worry too much. There are a ridiculous number of really really good games around and more are being released all of the time. You CANNOT keep up at 18 years of age with limited cash to spend. It cannot be done and should not be attempted. Leave that to the 40-somethings with lots of disposable cash.

BGG is VERY "cult of the new", meaning that we are always hyping the newest cool games. Don't get caught up in it. Great games don't stop being great games because they are old.

The number one most important thing in this hobby is not picking the best games, because there are so many of them. The most important thing by far is finding people that you enjoy playing games with.

For the record Blood Rage and Scythe may have some superficial similarities but they are very different games that will appeal to different kind of gamers. Both are also very good games.

When I started in this hobby I focused a lot on the BGG top 100 ranked games. While some will object to this method, the top 100 is a list of the generally most highly regarded games on BGG. You are not going to like them all, but they are all in the top 100 for a reason. I have now played most of them and have enjoyed the vast majority of them, with just a few exceptions. Sure there are a ton of AMAZING games well outside the top 100 (or the top 1000), but starting out looking at the top games on BGG is not a bad way to proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Maxwell, and welcome.

Learn from the mistakes of others. you will play many games before deciding what what you do and don't ultimately like.

Best advice I can give you is to join a group, that way you can play many games without having to initially purchase them yourself.

Luckily for you, being in the US you'll have a relatively easy ability to resell mistaken purchases, if/when you make them.

Checkout meetup.com as a good way to find a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hold on. Take a breath. Hobbies aren't meant to be stressful.

The importance of a playgroup really can't be underestimated. You could have all the greatest games in the world, but it won't mean much without folks you enjoy playing them with. Whether it's family, friends, or new folks you meet just to play with. As several people have said, local game stores will often host open gaming events where you could meet folks, or use sites like meetup.com or even look into your regional board here on BGG and see if there's a group to join.

Your group will also drive your collection to some extent because, as folks have said, you may get an opportunity to try out new games and see what you like. But also, you may find yourself collecting games that you know you'll have people to play with. For example, you mentioned Scythe, which is a game I may very much enjoy to play, but I don't have plans to get it any time soon because my play group tend to prefer shorter, less complex games. However, I am looking for some folks to play longer, more complex games with and when I find them, you can be sure that I'll revisit Scythe.

After you know who you're going to play with, do as folks have suggested and just start browsing. Look for recommendations about "gateway games" (games which a re a good entry point into the hobby) The best thing about board game geeks is that we're all evangelists: if there's a game that somebody enjoys, you won't have a hard time finding information about why they enjoy it. Read and watch reviews on BGG, search youtube for video playthroughs of games you'd like to know more about. However, the worst thing about board game geeks is that we're all evangelists : you can't accept everything that you hear as unbiased truth. Something that I found very helpful in my early days was watching video reviews from Tom Vasel of the Dice Tower. It's not that he has any sort of special insight, it's just that he reviews A LOT of games, and by watching his reviews of games I'd already played, I could get a sense of where he and I agreed and where our tastes differ. Over time and after playing more games you'll get a much better sense of what your own game preferences are. Another popular, well-produced video series specifically aimed at beginners is "Table Top" by Wil Wheaton (He played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: Next Generation, but don't worry: he's better now )

Finally, I'd recommend that you try to slow down your collecting urge. Instead of jumping in at the top of the hotness with Blood Rage and Scythe, maybe start by trying a wide variety of inexpensive games of different genres. Card games are often good for this, because they're relatively inexpensive. Love Letter ($10) is perenially popular with gamers and non-gamers alike. Star Realms ($15) is a very good and inexpensive introduction to deckbuilding games. The Resistance: Avalon is a very good social deduction game for $20. If you have friends who would like to try D&D, I believe that there are free versions of the introductory materials available for download.

You mention MtG, I don't know if you have already invested in that game, but I would recommend NOT doing so at this point if I were you. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fine game and I collect and play myself, but the collectible nature of the game means that it gets really expensive really fast. Instead of investing so much in a single game, you could get a very Magic-like experience by picking up Epic Card Game for $15 and it comes with 4 balanced pre-constructed decks right out of the box. Another Magic-like game (created by the same designer as Magic) is Android: Netrunner, which is quite good and quite popular. Both of these games are "expandable" in the sense that if you like you can buy more cards to build your decks and play with, but they're sold in fixed sets instead of in randomized packs, so you won't have to spend hundreds of dollars to chase down the strongest cards in the game.

Above all else, keep calm and roll for initiative (that's a D&D reference that you'll appreciate some day soon )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Find a gaming group and play their games. Then you can find out which ones you like before you invest in them.

This is the exact advice I would give. I've been at this for years, and I still have a hard time deciding what games would suit me just by reading reviews or geeklists or even watching run-through videos.

Find a public group where you can try out games before you buy them. If you meet good gaming partners, all the better. I think a lot of people here would agree it's easier to buy new games than to find good gamers who click with your personality/tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take time to flesh out your profile. Rate more games if yu can and make sure you are the ones you don't like too.

Find geek buddies with similar tastes.

When looking at games don't just look at ratings. Read the comments. I find that I get more information of games that I will like by reading why people don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
If you find something interesting, I suggest to read some reviews [on BGG] and [watch] playthroughs on youtube to find out which games suit your taste.

This. That's where BGG has really helped me (unlike the pre-internet "dark ages" where I had to randomly buy a game and hope it would be good).

Also ignore the (rather sick) joke about older gamers having lots of disposable income - sure, your income may increase as you got older but the rate of expenses climbs just as fast (if not faster), so you will never get to buy all the games you want or see on 'the hotness' - rather focus on getting the games you know you (or your gaming buddies) will actually enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Not that long ago I felt overwhelmed by all the good games as well.

1. Use the videos walk throughs. It's an investment of 30-60 minutes that gives you the feel of the game, which is much more accurate than another gamer's opinion. Rahdo Runs Through and Joel's Drive Thru Reviews are just two of many video reviewers.

2. Take your time and enjoy the games you have. If you purchase a few games every few months you'll have a good collection in no time and you'll have the opportunity to enjoy each game.

3. Down the road, if you get a game you're not crazy about its not the end of the world. In the event that you can't trade or sell it locally, Boardgamegeek hosts giant trades called Math Trades (shipping or drive to a location depending on the trade). /wiki/page/Math_Trades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Skelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I wish I was eighteen when I got into this hobby. I'd have so many more games by now .

First of all, welcome to BGG! I don't know that I have much to add that hasn't already been said other than to say that this community (as you've seen) is extremely helpful and welcoming. Once you've played a few games and start to get sense for what you like, the recommendation forums are a great place to get long lists of games thrown at you.

wamsp wrote:

You mention MtG, I don't know if you have already invested in that game, but I would recommend NOT doing so at this point if I were you. Don't get me wrong...

Jeez, this. I played in high school back in the late 90's and got out because I couldn't afford to keep up. The only reason I play now is that several people at work play during lunch. I just happened to keep a couple of decks so I jumped back in for free. I've since spent a bit of money on a few cards and a sealed tournament (buy a bunch of booster packs make a deck from what you get, play everyone else that did the same) but my investment has been intentionally very minimal. It's pretty fun, but if you play just know that there is the potential of spending hundreds or thousands of dollars if you get lost in it. I'd rather spend that money on other board games meeple.

Above all, have fun. This cannot be stressed enough. Life is too short to force yourself to play game X just because it's topping the hotness or is in the top 10/100/whatever. The hotness and the like are a good place to start, but don't restrict yourself to them.

Side Note: I really, really like Scythe and didn't really care for Blood Rage. But that's just me. And I'm sure there are a lot of people that are just the opposite. Time to play it and find out which camp you fall in .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Belgium
flag msg tools
On top of the very useful comments in this thread, I'd also like to point towards the Dice Tower top 10 series. In the first few months I got into board games, I found these very useful. They talk about many different genres/types of games, discuss what they like about them and they're often not aimed at the "latest and hottest games" (which are often hyped up and end up being not as good as they were initially received).

If you wish to spend your money wisely, buy secondhand when possible - it saves you money when buying and if you end up selling again, you'll hardly lose anything. (Others already pointed out to try and have a gaming group + do online research before purchasing.)

Finally, though many people here are fans of Friendly Local Game Shops (and rightfully so, imo - visiting these has definitely drawn me more into the hobby), as a young kid with limited budget, you can use sites such as coolstuffinc and miniature market to buy at discounted prices if you do buy new, in case you weren't doing that already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
wren08 wrote:

This is the exact advice I would give. I've been at this for years, and I still have a hard time deciding what games would suit me just by reading reviews or geeklists or even watching run-through videos.

Find a public group where you can try out games before you buy them. If you meet good gaming partners, all the better. I think a lot of people here would agree it's easier to buy new games than to find good gamers who click with your personality/tastes.

This is key. Unless you are the rare person that likes everything, you need to find out what games you like before collecting too many. It's easy to get swept up.

I learned this the hard way and I'm working to sell the types of games I don't like to someone who will. Better if i had just kept the money in the bank account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, you don't have to be a Magic or D&D dude to enjoy games -- I'm neither!

Second, I found myself learning about games by following a few GeekBuddies who left really good comments. Then, when you're on a gamepage, you can click the 'GeekBuddy Analysis' link and see if any of your Geek Buddies have left a comment on the game. This is great if you can find some buddies who have similar taste in games, and leave a lot of comments on their games (shameless plug: SmashUp is one of my top games, and I've left in-depth comments on 60+ games, so take that for what you will )

Mostly, just take it slow. Usually, I try to avoid the hype, and look for games that I know fit my style. If you take your time and add a few games every few months, soon you'll have a great collection!

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I am pretty new also. My wish list has dramatically changed over the past 6 months simply by watching rahdo's walk through videos. If I am watching one of his and after 10 minutes I'm not interested, then I am pretty confident that game is not for me. If, however, I can be really engaged while WATCHING someone else play then it will probably be one that I'd really like. I started with smash up and King of New York, and while they were decent games, legendary: marvel, Orleans, roll for the Galaxy, and Robinson Crusoe are much better for my tastes. And also, be VERY aware about player count. Most of my gaming is with my wife, so I have 0 games that aren't at least good with 2. And having a solo mode helps a ton so you aren't always reliant on having people around to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
This hobby is but an infant ...
That's a curious notion.

I couldn't get all I wanted 50 years ago. Christmas and birthday wish lists were the way to go.

But if you're taking on college, beware of trying too hard to play games. Strat-O-Matic Pro Football ruined my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.