Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stakes useless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashenbach .
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi, greetings from Spain!

Recently i acquired this game and we have played a couple of games. Yesterday a question was bringed to play:
"Do Stake card work with revealed vampires?"

It seems that the rules are implying (but we couldn't find a real answer) that you cannot use the stake on a revealed vampire. We argued a lot about the possibilities, and we concurred that stakes SHOULD work with revealed vampires. Also we realized that not ambushing with vampires is a bad move by Dracula.

Let's assume the case that the Stake cannot be used in revealed vampires. I play as Dracula, and i have a face-down vampire card under a face-down location in a hideout. A hunter moves to that city during the day.
Now i can ambush the hunter or wait to mature the vampire and earn those juicy influence points.

Well, I say that waiting is pointless, because the hunter will in almost every case do the search action and reveal the encounter card in hideout. Why? Because a good player knows that the best and fastest way of winning a game by Dracula is maturing vampires. And, in case that the encounter card is not a vampire, the maturing effect of the card is always worse to the hunters that the upper effect. So, the hunter is always going to reveal the card, and if he has a Stake card, my vampire is dead without combat. If he has not a Stake card, he will combat my vampire and many things can happen there, from beating the vampire to death or be mauled by the vampire and go to he hospital.
So, what can I possibly win by not ambushing the hunter the moment he enters the city? In almost all cases, the hunter will reveal my card, and he has chances of killing my vampire without even be damaged.

In the other case, if I ambush the hunter with the vampire, I combat the hunter when he is certeanly alone, can inflict serious wounds and then if the combat is not going so well, can escape and remain revealed. In this case, by the rule of "You cannot use the Stake on revealed vampires" my vampire is safe from be staked, because the Stake cannot be used in an answer to my ambush (unlike Dogs). Furthermore, if the combat of the ambush goes well, the hunter will be at least wounded and if he wants to combat again that night with the vampire, the chances of being sent to the hospital and/or bitten, are higher.
So, if I ambush the hunter, I can completely nulify the Stakes that he may carry and that costed precious research actions. Plus, I can combat the hunter when he is alone, and possibly sent to hospital, or most probably just damage him and provoke to begin another combat at night.

So, we decided that if the Stakes should work on revealed vampires, because otherwise they are useless cards if Dracula plays wisely.

PD: Sorry for my bad english.modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
Stakes can be used whenever you search and find a vampire, revealed or not. I'm too lazy to find a link to the errata that states this, but I had this same question a few months back and found the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnalignedMagi wrote:
Stakes can be used whenever you search and find a vampire, revealed or not. I'm too lazy to find a link to the errata that states this, but I had this same question a few months back and found the answer.

Correct. The game principle is that you can "reveal" a card that is already face up (previously revealed).

This applies to effects that require you to reveal an item as well -- you can reveal an already face up card (from having a bite marker, for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.