BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Better to go on Saturday or Sunday? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David H
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm headed to Essen for the weekend days, but since I'm taking my spouse (who games, but nothing more complicated than Agricola). If I'm looking to try/demo new games, are we better off going Saturday, or Sunday?
I have heard Sunday is less crowded, and some things are on sale, but the selection is lacking. If it matters, we don't speak German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Dijksma
Netherlands
Heerenveen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday is better, I think. It is less crowded. And you can't see everything in one day so a lacking selection will not be a problem. 95% will still be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday is the absolute worst day of them all, so it's an easy decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday is less crowded, but more games will be sold out already. You can still demo nearly all of the games, like Albert said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Sunday for a chance to get to play a few games.

The most popular games and bargain offers will usually sell out on Thursday/Friday anyway. Larger publishers may keep a separate stock for each day so you will have equal chances there.

What you may have read is that publishers sell their demo copies and leftover stock cheap on Sunday evening but I haven't seen that happening anymore in the last 10 years or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Have fun!
badge
We can still hear you, Major Tom. Thank you.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine went on Sunday and did buy such games at good bargain rates. I don't know if there used to be more or better bargains, but apparently they still exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Sunday has some advantages:

- Probably less crowded than Saturday.
- Towards the late afternoon, you can get better deals in some stands, as the companies want go back home with less stuff.

But there are some drawbacks:

- The fair closes early. At 18:00 instead of 19:00

- Some of the companies in the Stands go back to home on Sunday and some of them start packing early in the afternoon. That means that some stands (specially from the smaller non-German companies) might start packing as early as 15:00 or 16:00 and closed by 17:00 or so already.

Depending on what you are looking for, Sunday might not be the best option.

Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Keep on Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Sunday:
+ Less crowded, more comfortable to play.
+ Better prices at the end of the fair in some booths.

- Spiel ends sooner.
- Many gamees have sold out.
- You miss the excitement of the full Spiel. It is a part of the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on Sunday last year and although it's true the popular games will probably have sold out and some booths close early, there still was plenty to see and do on that day.

If anything, you might even have more opportunity to actually play a game. People start leaving quite early - many people who've been there since Thursday don't stay the entire Sunday - and this leaves more space for the stragglers . Just get your shopping done early and get a game or two in, it will still be a day well spent meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Sundays in Essen. You can easily get tables, even to hot games later in the day (sure they might be sold out at that point in time) and you might be able to get some not fetched preorders at some booths.

On the other side Saturday yields the most Big fair and masses experience. Many booths put their not-fetched preorders on normal sale at around 12 etc.

Do what you prefer, I myself prefer Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.