Cuba Libre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Nikolidakis
Greece
flag msg tools
Can I play as DR or as Syndicate in 1 player solo game? The rules I think
contradict. Somewhere say I can play as GVMNT or 26TH and elsewhere say I can play as any faction. Thanks for reading this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to play solo as Syndicate or Directorio. But Bots were designed with assumption that you play as M26 or Government. Because of it is the solo play as DR or Syn less challenging. I assume that playing solo as Syndicate also won't be fun (but I never tried it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on which version of the rules you're reading.

The original rules only allowed solo play as Govt or M26, mainly because the NP rules for those two Factions were not designed to deal with player Syndicate or DR respectively (i.e., GovBot couldn't deal with player Syndicate and M26bot couldn't handle player DR). Unfortunately quite a few players ignored this restriction, with predictably poor results.

The reprint rules have been modified to improve the viability of solo Syndicate/DR play, and therefore no longer outright forbid such play; but I still wouldn't recommend it. Solo Syndicate in particular can be very boring, since that Faction normally relies heavily on negotiations with other Factions but there is no way to negotiate with Non-players...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that there weren't any changes made to bot rules. Volko have said it here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Volko's exact words were:
Volko wrote:
The new rulebook and the reprint overall corrects errata but does not provide bot rules changes (unless I missed something in the flurry of production!).

He did miss several somethings. Look at rules 8.1 and 8.7.6, for example.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thanks! I just assumed he didn't miss anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, apart from some minor wording changes allowing the play of any faction, did the bots change? I, and others, it seems, was under the impression that the rebalancing project to allow any Faction was not done. I had assumed this to be the case, as the Set Up page only mentions Govt and 26July as viable solo Factions. As for Pact of Caracas, I had assumed that the wording was to allow for when a 3P game used the 26July bot, rather than for solo play. Same for 8.1, i.e. for the 3P game.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The setup page was missed in the rush, though I can't say I'm entirely unhappy about that The relevant rule is 1.5, which explicitly allows 1-player play as "any 1 Faction"; the various minor changes that were made to the bot rules stop the Govt and M26 bots from being completely subservient to their player "allies".

The major bot rewrite I was originally aiming for was not implemented due to lack of time, which is why I still wouldn't recommend solo play as DR or Syndicate (and thus why I'm not too miffed about forgetting to update the set-up page).

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, got it. Thanks for the clarification. Knowing that playing the DR is at least semi-official, I'm keen to give it a try. That's my favorite Faction in a 4P game.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nikolidakis
Greece
flag msg tools
I tried solo as DR twice. I think the game plays excellent although I lost both times one from Gov and one from Synd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemoni wrote:
I tried solo as DR twice. I think the game plays excellent although I lost both times one from Gov and one from Synd

My experience as well, George. Of course, I put it down to my lack of skill that gave the bots the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, Jeff, it is quite common for game designers to lose when playing their own designs...

/Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oerjan, is that major bot rewrite ever gonna happen? I'd be happy to purchase new flowcharts should they ever find their wy to store shelves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Ever" is a strong word, but it is on hold. If people could just stop starting up new COIN projects like "Liberty or Death" or "Pendragon", then I'd be able to free up time to revisit the older COIN games...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.