Subject: Looking for official answers to these remaining 15 questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have now had the pleasure of playing several rounds of Posthuman. They have all been fun and different experiences. Quite a few rules questions popped up. Some were answered by the FAQ or by kind replies from Gordon here on BGG. The following questions remain unanswered, and I would very much appreciate official responses to them.

Rounds of combat vs multiple enemies
Footwork
Q1: Can I re-roll against the first enemy in the first round and then again against the second enemy in the first round?
G1: I assume no, since I interpret "combat round" as fighting all enemies once.

Fanboy
Q2: Can I discard a fanboy to cancel all wounds from enemy one and enemy two in the first combat round?
G1: I assume no, since it would create timing questions, should I then discard him A) before any rolls are made, B) after any roll is made, but still applying to past/future rolls of the same round or C) after all rolls are made in the round?

Combat effects (knockdown/leader)
Q3: Is it true that ALL effects, such as knockdown, triggered in round X come into play at the start of round X+1 and last until the end of round X+1, with exception for the Outnumbering rule, which can remove the extra die in the middle of a round?
G3: I guess so.
Q4: Is an effect such Leader cancelled after the entire round where the enemy was killed?
G4: I guess so.

Re-rolls
Mind 5
Q5: Can I make the two rerolls granted per encounter in different combat rounds (or against different enemeis)?
G5: I guess so.

Stealth
Q6: Does activating Stealth mean that I reroll both the die for me and the die for the enemy?
G6: I guess so, since my die is only considered "failed" in relation to the enemy die.

Re-rolling twice
Q7: The rules forbid a die to be re-rolled twice. Does that apply even if that is positive to the player? (I.e. first failing a mind test, then re-rolling it successfully using a skill, should I then disregard the Watched event?)
G7: I assume so, but it is a bit counter-intuitive.

Hand managment
Max three cards
Q8: If I have three cards in my hand and am about to draw more, can I then draw all the cards entitled to and after that immediately discard/play down to 3?
G8: I assume so, but it's not written as such. The alternative of discarding before drawing makes it quite slow if I draw several and is supposed to discard in between.

Mutant actions
Mind control
Q9: Does a mind stat of 5 grant five re-rolls (as opposed to two)?
G9: I assume so, since the card is otherwise useless with mind less than 4.
Q10: If the mutant encounter has human minions, are re-rolls allowed for the minions?
G10: I assume so, since the mutant action card states "for the whole encounter".

Drawing skills
Drawing an identical skill
Q11: If I discard 3 XP to draw two skills and either draw two of the same or one skill that I already have, can I discard one and re-draw? If not, can I discard if both are skills that I already have?
G11: I guess not. During setup I can do it, but the rules doesn't say that applies when turning in XP.

Combat effects
Bolas
Q12: Does each hit with a Bolas reduce the number of dice by one?
G12: I guess so, since it doesn't state anything like "for any number of hits".

Specific encounters
Stalker
Q13: If deciding to fight it by drawing a mutant minion, can I attempt to evade it?
G13: I guess not, since the main encounter was the story card.

Spin the mutant
Q14: Can I turn in any mutants that I have already beat on this tile before drawing the Spin the mutant?
G14: I have no idea. The card says "mutant encounter cards you beat". Beat can be both future and past tense.
Q15: Does a mutant minion count as a mutant encounter card for the purpose of Spin the mutant?
G15: I guess so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hemmings
United States
Tumwater
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed you didn't get answers to these questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. The designer Gordon has replied to my PM that he is really busy with another game and Essen, but that he will take a look at the thread when he has a chance. I agree that I would have expected some answers by now, but at least there is hope for answers soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Six months without reply. I will try one last time by PM before I give up on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vor Zugzwang
msg tools
I realize that I'm not Gordon, but I think that some of your questions are answered in the rules. Maybe that's because I assume that if the rules do not say that I cannot do something, it means that I can. So...

Q1: Footwork: it says "a single (red miss) result per combat round" not "a single (red miss) per enemy." You only get to do it once.

Q2: Gordon did say that you need to identify with followers will be activated before you start combat. So do that, but no where on this forum does it say how to play the fanboy card. I assume that you decide after the round is over if you want to discard him. However, again, I think the text is clear on how he works. it says "discard to ignore all wound,from a single melee or shooting round." So yes, you can cancel wounds from enemy A, B, and C, but only in one round. (oh and I assume that you have not looked at the scar cards you have received before returning them to the pile, but I guess the rules do not say that you can't so just make sure you reshuffle the pile for common curtesy).

Q3: You are correct. Yes.

Q4: Not clear, but if enemies automatically lose their extra die once there is only 1 enemy remaining, irrespective of turn order in the round, then it would stand to reason that all "non-round effecting" effects would also cancel immediately. However, the Leader effect IS a round effecting effect "in every round of melee combat." The real question is does it effect the rounds after the Doomsayer is dead? The answer here I would think would be yes because even if you kill the net boy at the same time that he hits you with the net, the net effect still takes effect. In this case the Net only effects the first round, but for the Leader effect it effects "even round of melee combat."

Q5: yes. (p. 3).

Q6: No, you only re-roll your own dice. - per gordon (2015-1-21).

Q7: I agree. in this case you got lucky.

Q8: No. It's slow and more of the discard as you go. This is also clarified by gordon on the forum but a bit too long to post here. Having said that they were considering changing the whole way that inventory and hand limits work, so for now lets go with. Before you grab a card, put one of your cards from you hand into play (you may need to discard an item from you inventory to do so). Then draw the next card. Continue till you have drawn all of the cards you need to draw.

Q9: I agree with you.

Q10: No. the card says "Take control of the mutant(S) in that encounter." you do not control the humans, and therefore have no say over their re-rolling. it would say "for all enemies" if you could assign your mental stat re-rolls to any human enemies.

Q11: I had the same question, but this is so rare. Not to mention if you did get a double footwork, then you would just be able to re-roll 2 misses. That's not too bad.

Q12: This is currently unanswered, but no other character applied effects in that way. Not Netboy, Master Techie, standard knockdowns. Even effects in the positive are typically limited to 1 die, not a stacking of effects.

Q13: I think the rules explain this (p. 6). "the same is done for the enemy or group of enemies, using the speed of the fastest enemy in the case of a group." How will you know who the fastest enemy is if you have not revealed them? By default, you MUST reveal all minion BEFORE deciding to evade. Alternatively, are you asking if you can evade specific minions? The answer would be no, of the same reason. You are evading the encounter. "After a combat encounter is revealed, players may choose to either fight or evade it." In that sentence "it" can really only logically apply to the term combat encounter.

Q14: Wow. Took me like 5 minutes to see what you were saying. And I have no idea. I think it might be too easy if it's a past thing. Think about if you had saved up a bunch of mutant. Then again, most of use want to spend our XP to hoard it. So I really don't know.

Q15: I would say no. Only Mutant Encounter cards are mutant encounter cards. Mutant Minion cards are mutant minion cards, and both are simply mutant cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon calleja
Malta
Siggiewi
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi guys, thanks for the reminder on this. I do look over the forums periodically but please appreciate I do miss posts in busy periods, especially when traveling and a PM reminder helps.

Q1 - No, multiple enemies all happen in the same round.

Q2 - No, it's from one enemy.

Q3 - Knockdown and effects that remove a die do so for the following combat round, correct. Outnumbering removes the die in the middle of a round if enemies don't outnumber you before a roll.

Q4 - When the enemy is killed the effect they have does not apply any more.

Q5 - Yes

Q6 - No just your die. So if the enemy rolled high then you're screwed.

Q7 - You can only re-roll a die once voluntarily. If the game forces that die to be rolled again due to an effect you have to roll it again. So by re-roll only once we meant, you may choose to re-roll that die only once, not the game/enemies. So you can't block bad stuff from happening to you by using a voluntary re-roll.

Q8 - Yes.

Q9 - Yes.

Q10 - Yes. They are under mutant control.

Q11 - Yes.

Q12 - No it just reduces the total number of melee dice by 1 if any hit.

Q13 - No you can't. You're too close to the mutie luvva.

Q14 - Only the ones in the future.

Q15 - Yes they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Gordon. Your answers are really helpful. I feel like bringing out the game soon again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answers Gordon, although i'd like to expand on question 4 based on your answer:

So let's say you're facing off against a doomslayer priest, who has x1 minion and the leader ability, which allows his minion to 'reroll 1 miss[X]'.

Now according to the combat rules You can choose to fight the doomslayer first in the round; then lets say you kill the doomslayer, which is very likly considering you have both 1 ranged round and 1 melee round to do 2 damage (or just 1 damage in the case of the lvl 1 equivalent-doomslayer zealot). therefore, more often than not, his minion never even gets a chance to benefit from the leader ability of the doomslayer.

In my experience the only time it doesn't go down this way is when i draw the minion that has the special ability requiring me to attack him first. There is also the offchance you don't kill him in that 1st melee & ranged rounds.

And to be clear, Gordon, i'm NOT complaining, but rather just actively applying your answer to a specific situation and I am just wondering if that's how you intended it to go. I mean, i can see value in both ways of playing it.

Feel free to respond with a short response, if you get the chance-i'm just curious to know if this is how you play-tested it this way, based on your answer to question 4. Thank you!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.