Subject: Open/Closed Blockade Runner Ports rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. Isangeles
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello all,

A friend and I are working our way through this outstanding game for the first time, and the status of blockade runner ports (BRPs) are about to become very important. This has led to a small level of confusion over when they are considered open or closed. I've tried searching here for an answer to my specific question, but was not able to find one (possibly a shortcoming in my own search parameters, so if it has previously been answered, my apologies).

Rule 10.52 has 3 conditions that must be met for a BRP to remain open. The third is the issue: having "an LOC to another resource space." The confusion comes from the use of "another."

My understanding is that resources spaces are those with the colored bar on the bottom and an associated SW value. Two of these are, of course, also BRPs (Columbus, GA and Charleston, SC). The "another" in 10.52 seems to intimate that it's possible BRPs other than Columbus and Charleston could be considered resource spaces, at least for that rule's purposes.

To put it another way: If a BRP other than Columbus or Charleston cannot trace an LOC to an undestroyed resource space, but CAN trace an LOC to another BRP that isn't Columbus or Charleston, is it open?
(example: neither Jacksonville nor Fernandina, FL can trace an LOC to a resource space, but they can trace an LOC to each other. Are they open?)

I suspect the answer is "no", but then the wording of the victory conditions in 17.22 becomes odd. That rule states that the USA wins "if all Confederate resource spaces are destroyed and all Blockade Runner Ports are closed". If a BRP needs to be able to trace an LOC to a resource space (and not just another BRP) to stay open, then isn't the victory condition really just "the Union wins if all Confederate resource spaces are destroyed" since if all resource spaces are destroyed, then all the BRPs would automatically be closed?

Sorry this ended up longer than intended, and thanks for any clarification that you all can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can think of a destroyed resource space which eventually turns back to reb hands as the one rare situation where the victory conditions, spelled as they are, seem to be consistent with. Note that the rules say nothing about 'undestroyed' resource space to qualify as providing supply to a BRP, but I'm not completely sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Schweitzer
Brazil
Americana
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isangeles wrote:

To put it another way: If a BRP other than Columbus or Charleston cannot trace an LOC to an undestroyed resource space, but CAN trace an LOC to another BRP that isn't Columbus or Charleston, is it open?
(example: neither Jacksonville nor Fernandina, FL can trace an LOC to a resource space, but they can trace an LOC to each other. Are they open?)

In your example, Jacksonville and Fernandina would be closed. 10.52 states that for a BRP to be open, it has to trace to another Resource space.

Isangeles wrote:

I suspect the answer is "no", but then the wording of the victory conditions in 17.22 becomes odd. That rule states that the USA wins "if all Confederate resource spaces are destroyed and all Blockade Runner Ports are closed". If a BRP needs to be able to trace an LOC to a resource space (and not just another BRP) to stay open, then isn't the victory condition really just "the Union wins if all Confederate resource spaces are destroyed" since if all resource spaces are destroyed, then all the BRPs would automatically be closed?

You're right, if all Confederate Resource spaces are destroyed, then all Blockade Runner ports are closed, since they have nowhere to trace to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.