Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were perusing chapters and found a game called The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game that looked cute. But, the question I always ask when I see a new game, is it GOOD? So, it got me thinking - what kind of games would be great for my 3 year old daughter? We have Roll and Play, but its not really a game. I think if we found a game that my daughter liked, it could be a sneaky way to get my wife into board games too! It'd be great if the suggestions were games she could play for a few years too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memory is the game we keep coming back to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter LOVED Go Fish at that age. We had a deck with colorful CGI looking fish that she adored, and wanted to play all the time. Go Fish made "Go" popular before Pokeman. And she kept playing it for about three years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob West
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Both my three-year-old daughter and my wife like The Little Orchard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My First Carcassonne can be played by 3 year olds, they won't be good at it!

Things like snakes and ladders are good too though. Good for numeracy and counting, coping with setbacks and so on. Dull for parents though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 is probably a bit young for My First Stone Age but it has a memory element (which young kids tend to be good at) and could be a stepping stone toward other games. It also won the Kinderspiel des Jahres this year.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1605444/my-daughters-first-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You may like to look into Snail's Pace Race:

It has large bits (escargoples!) that are cheerfully colored and easy to handle, it enhances color recognition while teaching some skills that any young game player should learn (like playing in turn, moving the correct pieces to correct places, etc), and it mitigates the winning/losing thing just a bit because the kids try to guess which *snails* will be first and last, not which *players* will win or lose.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter turns two next month... I can't wait to get her into games! Just a little more time and I think she'll be ready...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

You could check out Family Pastimes.
They design co-operatives for that age level.
Max is a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renegade Pineapple
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SSS is an EXCELLENT game for a three year old. It's one of the best sellers out of my local children game store. You won't regret the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair J
United States
California
flag msg tools
We like Sneaky Snacky Squirrel and some of the other games by the same publisher.

Hisss was my daughter's favorite game I introduced her to at 3. It's very basic but even now that she's 5 and my son is 7, they'll pull it out to play often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter likes Sneaky Snacky Squirrel. It's her current favorite and entertains her and she asks to play it, so in that sense it is a "good" game. But other than watching your kid have fun, there is really nothing there for adults. You spin a spinner and do what it says. Really more of a toy than a game.

The only two games that she likes that I would even consider playing with other adults are Cardline: Animals and Animal Upon Animal. Cardline Animals is just simple animal trivia; my daughter basically just uses them as flash cards to tell me the names of the animals in the pictures. Animal Upon Animal is a cute little dexterity game where you stack wooden animal figures Jenga-style. My wife and I play it by ourselves occasionally; mainly because it only takes like 5 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 3.5 y/o LOVES Haba Space Planets and Ghost B)asters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneaky Snacky Squirrel IS a good game for 3-year-olds. Color matching, tactile experience. Short enough, generally.

Also,

UNO Moo
Hoot Owl Hoot
Animal Upon Animal(probably without actually following the die roll)

are all winners for the smallest gamers in our household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.