Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Yet another Mage Knight foam insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there must be a dozen of these already, but I've got two (OK, three) reasons for throwing this into the ring:

1) It comfortably fits all the current expansion content, which is not something I've seen an example of before.

2) Material cost was under $1, and it took me a couple of hours, tops.

3) ... So proud!

Until today I'd always thought of insert-crafting as a hobby that I was probably never going to invest the time and money in. All the little baggies I had amassed for Mage Knight finally pushed me over the edge though, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that dirt-cheap materials and a little time could resolve things so easily.

So now I have a prototype that I'm quite happy with and will probably never replace. Why do all inserts have to be black foamcore, anyway?

A few points about decisions I made:

Baggies still have their uses. Character materials that are going to be passed to individual players for them to dump out onto my custom playmats aren't really going to benefit from trays. In fact, the reverse could be true - a baggie you can chuck across the table, while the little shield tokens would be a pain to fish out of a shared tray. With seven characters, individual trays weren't a realistic option.

The fact that the token stacks can be increased in size if you mix in the Shades of Tezla content means I left an entire row for the orcs, and extra space for the dragons and dungeons. Not sure how to prevent the orc tokens falling flat, but the dice being there should suffice in transit.

The upright cities provide perfect support for the gem tray. There's no real risk of miniatures getting squashed.

The insert only works as it is because I used such tightly-fitting card sleeves. I imagine thicker/wider sleeves would be a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like this Ben - especially the tray for the tokens. That is handy looking. You may have inspired me here to make one of my own - nice work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
Looks nice and clean. Do you remember where you got those mana crystals? They look better than the ones that come with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
goldmonkee wrote:
Looks nice and clean. Do you remember where you got those mana crystals? They look better than the ones that come with the game.

A BGG user bought them in bulk and was kind enough to sell on MK quantities at near cost. I believe they are quite widely available now though - you often see them in published games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I've seen a number of these in the past but never paid a lot of attention to them. Having never done something like this, where would I find out how to build such a thing, including measurements and techniques.

Also, do you separate the starting decks for the characters in any way, or just sort through the card to find the ones you want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
Of course, I've seen a number of these in the past but never paid a lot of attention to them. Having never done something like this, where would I find out how to build such a thing, including measurements and techniques.

Also, do you separate the starting decks for the characters in any way, or just sort through the card to find the ones you want?

I measured the box, but otherwise just cut to component sizes. I intended this to be a prototype I would pull apart to make the "real" thing, with actual measurements, but it worked out well enough that I'll probably never bother to make another version.

Techniques amounted to using a craft knife and ruler to cut, and cheapass wood glue to bond. That's really all there was to it.

I didn't sleeve the hero and skill cards for each character, partly because they are never shuffled or handled during the game, but also so the non-sleeved cards make for nice natural card-dividers between character decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Based on Ben Kyo design - but not identical (as the premium sleeves takes much more space is seems) - here's my end results:

Thanks for sharing the design again Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the material you used called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Foam core. It just that in my country, white foam core is more common then black foam core like you see in most custom inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.