Subject: Defending air units participate in multiple combats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
In an earlier thread Dave says "The great thing about the Japanese air units is their ability to react into multiple sea areas. This can allow them to protect more than they can really protect, if you know what I mean."

Does this mean that air units (and sea units) can be called into several combats within air range/adjacent to the sea unit zone) in the same combat phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Edit: It is technically possible for an air unit to be forced to RTB in one sea area combat and be able to fly to another sea area combat (you announce and resolve one area at a time).

However, it cannot be a part of a later land area combat though. Unless I am very much mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bjorn is correct. I was thinking like a chess player: the queen can threaten multiple moves at once, even though of course it could only do one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sorry Dave, I was a bit quick on the draw there. I started thinking about sea area combats and I *think* an RTB'ed defender could theoretically fly again, correct? If it is not RTB'ed, it of course stays in the sea area so cannot fly again in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You were correct the first time Bjorn. In 5.3:

"An air unit presently in a sea area, or air unit presently in a land area that participated in a sea area combat (see 4.2) earlier in this phase of the turn, may not participate in a land area combat."

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I should know better than splitting hairs with the designer,

but that establishes that you cannot fight in both sea area combat and land area combat.

If we focus on 4.4 Sea Area Combat, we have:

Quote:
The side performing actions selects one sea area for combat at a time, resolving each before moving on to the next.

First, active major powers on the other side may fly any air units that are based in a land area in range of the selected sea area, and whose primary bombing factor is Naval (see the Unit Types Chart), to the selected sea area so that they may join the combat.

Since we do one commbat at a time to resove, I was looking for added rules making an air unit that fought in a sea area, was RTB'ed but adjacent to ANOTHER potential sea area combat ineligible for the next combat but I cannot find such a rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nicely done Bjorn. There is no rule against that, but it is not my intent. I will have to make sure that fighting in multiple sea area combats is not possible. You win the Playtester of the Month award for that one ;-).

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Merci beaucoup. Closing loopholes is my specialty. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.