BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Thunderstone for under 100euros? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
ALL thunderstone advance expansions are like 100+euro... is there a way to get it cheaper? Im in the EU.

If not, recommend me another game? I own both Dominion and Ascension and I REALLY like them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone is the best, but yes, unfortunately OOP.

AEG did announce that a new Thunderstone something or other is coming. Not sure if it's a new edition, new content, a reprint, etc.

I believe they said September for more info (and maybe a kickstarter?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is a nice little 2 player deck builder that I enjoy. Cheap too.

I've not played it yet, but there's a lot of buzz around Mystic Vale which appears to be the next evolution of deck builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Ascension, then you'll probably like Star Realms. It plays similar, except that you "win" by doing "damage" to your opponent (mechanically it's basically the same as trying to collect 20 gems first, but it "feels" different).

It doesn't play at all like Thunderstone, but it's a good game. I got like 150 games out of it (between cardboard and the app) before I burned myself out of it. But I'd still play a face to face game with a friend if s/he wanted to. Plus it's dirt cheap.

You're probably going to have issues getting Thunderstone for a good price because it is currently out of print. Which is sad because it's my favorite deck builder.

I'm also a fan of Baseball Highlights: 2045, but I think being a baseball fan really helps my enjoyment of that game (you sort of have to know the rules a bit). It's a good game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Hue
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year in Essen they sold each set for 5-18 euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
mjje wrote:
Last year in Essen they sold each set for 5-18 euros.

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
AEG did announce that a new Thunderstone something or other is coming. Not sure if it's a new edition, new content, a reprint, etc.

Link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of it less numeria for sale. Message me and we can talk. Im in the us but might be cheaper to import it from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Link?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615668/3rd-edition/page/1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love deck builders. Id probably easily have Ascension, Dominion, and Thunderstone in my top 20. Star Realms is essentially the same as Ascension and might creep in as well (I prefer Ascension to it by a small margin, but enough that Ascension sees way more play)

Thunderstone is way different than the others, and I have not found a good alternative to it. I think it's my favorite of the three for the added depth it gives.

People will tell you that Thunderstone Advance is the better game--it is, but not by a huge margin. IMO if you can track down some original Thunderstone at a significantly cheaper price than Advance, do it. Advance tweaks some things, but they are actually compatible with each other. Thunderstone Advance Worlds Collide is basically an Advance reskin of the originals, while the others are standalones. You used to be able to download the base Thunderstone game from AEG as a print and plays not sure though.

The new version coming out is radically different from what I've heard. I haven't played it so I can't say that it is better or worse, but while Thunderstone Advance was mostly a tweaked version of Thunderstone, 3rd ed uses the same universe and general mechanics but is way different. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

I would also say if you're not in a hurry, just be patient. Don't be intimidated by marketplace listings, if you hang around long enough you'll see a good price on it at auction or such.

But I'd definitely say consider picking up the first edition Thunderstone. It will not be a wasted investment if you decide to go after Thunderstone Advance because you can still use those cards (there is no repetition except for Worlds Collide), and it may be a cheaper entry at first.

I would also anticipate that IF 3rd ed is good, it's possible prices on Advance will go down a bit. Hard to predict though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, print and play is still there in AEG's website: https://www.alderac.com/thunderstone/2012/05/26/download-thu...

What's nice is it uses the Advance updates on the base game. So if you are ok with print and play in general, you can just play that. Then if you decide you want more and are willing to sleeve, you can buy any of the Advance expansions (some are pretty cheap because they are JUST expansions and require the base game) and use the print n play as your base set.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
matthean wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Link?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615668/3rd-edition/page/1

Interesting. I even went to AEG's site and their menu doesn't even have a link for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Webber
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can hold out for a bit, it was mentioned on a BGG forum (that I cant remember right now) that AEG demo'd a 3.0 version at Gen Con. It was a prototype so there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
AEG announced a 3rd edition kickstarter for October. Who knows the price but will probably be less than 100 Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.