$20.00
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb

GOLAN '73 hit the table at First Minnesota this week at The Source Comics & Games in Roseville, MN. Doug & Gordy took it for a spin:

The early Syrian advance--they push in slowly. Israel is able to easily plug in the holes. The line holds. Israel thinks, "What, this is all you got??"

Syrians push hard on the left, but those Strongpoints are a sticky-wicket. The one shown below held out almost the entire game.

Syrian Doug tries to melt the board with his eyes. Advisor Sean looks on.

Israel holds the line and digs in.

Think hard, damn it!!

Israel gets lucky early on and gets several key reinforcement events.

But then, suddenly, the Syrians are threatening the escarpment, and are getting close to the River Jordan. Suddenly Israel is strained to hold the line. And not just in one space, but like 5 or 6 spots on the board are in precarious positions. One more breakthrough and I'm seriously in trouble.

Israel strikes back around turn 7. Near Aleika, fresh armor concentrates and we put the hurt on the Syrians. We punch them right up the gut, breaking their lines!

The end game looks like this. Despite the fact I pushed the Syrians across their border, Israel still loses. Syria was able to hold onto enough key places.

Golan hits on all cylinders: engaging combats, tough decisions, exciting dice chucking, and a nice back & forth between both sides getting the chance with attacking and defense. Doug's Syrians pushed my Israelis all the way back to the edge of the escarpment, dangerously close to the Jordan River. But late in the game, Israel rallied and pushed back, and pushed back hard, punching right up the gut of the enemy line, knocking elements of Doug's army back across the Syrian border. It was a close game, but the Syrians held on for the VP win. Though both of us came close to sudden death victory as well at points in the game.

Two thumbs up!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! Did you folks play much of the other two volumes? I've only set up my copy but it strikes me this one is a nice quick one for a game night.

Also, did you use historical start or what-if?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went historical. My thought was that with no idea how things were going to play out, it seemed best to have slightly more guidance. The free setup isn't THAT free anyway, especially on the Syrian side; the sectors are still what they are, you can just choose which unit takes which spot in their sector, I think you can choose where to attempt your initial crossings, and probably most importantly can choose which units to put in reserve in case you're lucky enough to punch a hole on turn 1, which I wasn't. Even then, I might go with a pretty historical approach, except I probably wouldn't use the Moroccans in the spot they had.

I've played a little of the other volumes and I like them. I liked the events for a lot of things (the straggler events on the Israeli side are a particularly nice touch; several units start at reduced strength and their stragglers arrive by event) but most of them seemed almost useless (some clearly by design; the FROG strike did fail, after all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
Nice report! Did you folks play much of the other two volumes? I've only set up my copy but it strikes me this one is a nice quick one for a game night.

Also, did you use historical start or what-if?

Historical set-up for this game.

I have played FAB Bulge once, so it's hard for me to compare the two. Less big units in Golan. So there is a little bit more movement it seems to me. You just don't have enough units to defend everything. The Syrians pushed me all the way across the board, and then I in turn, knocked him all the way, well almost all the way, back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
I liked the events for a lot of things (the straggler events on the Israeli side are a particularly nice touch; several units start at reduced strength and their stragglers arrive by event) but most of them seemed almost useless (some clearly by design; the FROG strike did fail, after all).

I dreaded pulling the damn "Counter-Battery" chits. I need an airstrike, not counter-battery!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
demoss1 wrote:
I liked the events for a lot of things (the straggler events on the Israeli side are a particularly nice touch; several units start at reduced strength and their stragglers arrive by event) but most of them seemed almost useless (some clearly by design; the FROG strike did fail, after all).

I dreaded pulling the damn "Counter-Battery" chits. I need an airstrike, not counter-battery!!

Yeah, the counter-battery chits seem pretty bad. On a 1 or even 2, they're actually helpful to the opponent! And on a 6 or more, they do nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my experience with most of the volumes is that there's a suspiciously good reason to only use the events for their alternate bringing back eliminated chits function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does counterbattery help? Assets arriving as reinforcements just go in the cup.

And returning eliminated units is really iffy unless they're things you NEED like engineers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I read the rule wrong - I thought when the artillery asset came back, it went straight to the Available Box without taking up one of your draws. If it goes into the Selection Cup, that makes the counter-battery event somewhat more worthwhile - but still not that great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule says this:
Quote:
The asset arrives as a reinforcement
during that turn, not counting the total asset/event draw
for the affected player.

Maybe the second part of the sentence is intended to mean something, but I sure can't see it. Assets arriving as reinforcements NORMALLY just go into the cup, and I don't have the slightest idea what the part after the comma is trying to say since that already doesn't have anything to do with the chit draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The asset should go to the selection cup when it arrives! The sentence after the comma I don't know how it ended up there! Maybe from the earlier rule when this event was more powerful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ha, I was automatically just playing it right because I didn't read that rule carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Colgan
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very entertaining report and love the pics....thanks Gordon!
I have the other FAB games and look forward to completing the trifecta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
How long did it take to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was close to 5 hours - we did a lot of head scratching at first just trying to find things we were sure we had read in the rules, and it did go the distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.