Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I have recently been exploring how to shake the game up and increase the interaction factor. After a number of plays, I've landed on the following "Aggressor" variant that are now part of the base rules when I play:

Aggressor Variant
RULE CHANGE 1
If a faction loses control of one of its buildings in battle, it is destroyed by opposing forces and returned to the player mat. The faction and its people also suffer the loss of 1 popularity due to reduced morale.

RULE CHANGE 2
Captured resources from battle can be immediately exchanged 1:1 for gold post victory.

End Variant

The two small changes above have increased combat slightly in our games and provides an interesting choice for the victor when capturing lands with resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a review? I'm confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngajoe wrote:

It's a variant we use when we play. This is the variants forum.

EDIT:
We did just wrap a 3 player game and two additional combats took place directly because of the variant (2 combats were performed to convert resources to gold + raze opponents buildings/reduce their popularity, both successful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few ways to improve on Scythe's poor interaction. Another way would be to make encounter cards affect the neighbors of the active player. For example, Pay 2 pop and steal a mech. Instead of just loosing the 2 Pop you have to give 1 to each neighbor. Which not only increases interaction but fits in with the story of your faction being mean and the civilians hear about it and show more favor to your neighbors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
There are quite a few ways to improve on Scythe's poor interaction. Another way would be to make encounter cards affect the neighbors of the active player. For example, Pay 2 pop and steal a mech. Instead of just loosing the 2 Pop you have to give 1 to each neighbor. Which not only increases interaction but fits in with the story of your faction being mean and the civilians hear about it and show more favor to your neighbors

You should playtest and post your variant. Let us know, I'm always up for trying more game modifications. The variant I've posted has been play tested a number of times with the base rules and works well for my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
ngajoe wrote:

(snip)
"The Variant Review's Scythe Aggressor Variant"
Who or what is the "Variant Review", then?
I'm similarly confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
skyzero wrote:
ngajoe wrote:

(snip)
"The Variant Review's Scythe Aggressor Variant"
Who or what is the "Variant Review", then?
I'm similarly confused.

Just a tagline I put on all variant's I post. Nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.