$30.00
United States
flag msg tools
BCS - Last Blitzkrieg is the wargame I have always wanted and did not know it - and as a consequence - I like to play/finish/repeat the darned thing.

One guy can come over on Thursday nights, pretty regular, one that can Saturdays once in awhile, and another on an occasional Tuesday.

And meanwhile the game must be played, so I do solitaire. My war room, so I can play at will.

No one is really playing sides except the two most frequent guys - my weekly Thursday guy.

-------------------------------

BCS plays in discrete junks - you are doing an Armies level operation with commands broken down by division (or smaller) with battalion sized units. Each formation activates in an alternating fashion.

You have a very dynamic experiencing mixing moves, assaults, direct fire and artillery fire activating your battalions, and concerning yourself with staying in command range and having supply link.

All very fluid and fun.

This makes it easy to do short sessions, say 30 minutes of play (solitaire boosts) or to break up the action when the other guys come over.

---------------------------

Having no trouble playing either side to the best they should be, I am primarily the German player and primary teacher of the system, my Thursday guy being the Allies.

Another infrequent visitor wants to be the Germans, so I switch sides when it is the two of us.

If per chance two of the other guys happen to merge into the same time slot, I give them the reigns and provide consultation services in an impartial fashion - Chief of Staff to both.

I cannot recall playing a wargame quite this way before - I have found it exhilarating, engaging and entertaining.

Getting ready to move some counters now...all alone on Sunday Morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! Sounds fun. Wish I had a place to leave a big long game set up indefinitely, and visiting friends to try that with!

The side switching, playing whatever side you currently have as best you can, sounds sort of like the wargame equivalent of a similarly non-competitive 3-player Go variant I played long ago: players make moves in clockwise order, so e.g. Alfred plays black, Bob plays white, Charles plays black, Alfred plays white, Bob plays black, Charles plays white, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Agreed about it being the wargame I wanted but didn't know it. Now just impatient for the next one in the series.

Good luck with the play through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not planning on getting this game but based on this comment I may need to rethink my previous plans ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, do I love this.

Playing a big game with only the slightest connection to which side wins or looses, or the whole idea of outplaying an opponent.

Instead being so taken with the story and/or the mechanics, that you just burn to stay lost in that world, for no other reason than to see what's going to happen next, and if there are others that want to come along for part of the ride, all the better.

But one way or the other though, the thing is gonna get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
RawDealDemo wrote:
Man, do I love this.

Playing a big game with only the slightest connection to which side wins or looses, or the whole idea of outplaying an opponent.

Instead being so taken with the story and/or the mechanics, that you just burn to stay lost in that world, for no other reason than to see what's going to happen next, and if there are others that want to come along for part of the ride, all the better.

But one way or the other though, the thing is gonna get played.

It is a lot like participating in an Oscar level Drama or one of those outstanding books by Ian Toll or Clay Blair - and BCS thoroughly breaks the fourth wall (you are in it) - the story telling is so darned good that the journey and the outcome are interesting to rediscover and explore over an over again.

Helps to go into each activation someone unconcerned about the others - don't think about the sunk costs - like the real participants you have to deal with the here and now. The sloution is the same - wound and discombobulate the enemy as best as you can with what you have while avoiding destruction.

Attack/Counter Attack.

Folks try to out maneuver each other to threaten or cut MSRs; choices must be made to either shove the enemy out of the way or kill the unit.

When can I go for the jugular?

What position should I be in if fate robs me of my second activation?

My planning can be precise - but not too precise - I might get stalled - I might get halved in ability - I might be off to the races.

Maybe the enemy will panic and move the wrong way - maybe he will see a small error in what I did and make my brilliant action and put me in a bind.

Sometimes your super heroes fail you - bad luck, bad timing and they are pathetic - while some sad sack formation does miracle work - the 560th VG gets serious accolades in our game. Peiper finds himself in a bar fight with 6 guys, getting the shit knocked out of him while breaking noses and arms.

2nd ID mixed with the 99th ID finds a messy fight with 150th, 12th VG and some other craptastic VG on the Westwall, while putting up with 'drive by' abuse from SS formations.

The 12th SS is torn to hell - punished by the 1st ID and the 9th ID aand some early damage from the 2nd.

M-E ridge is a tough fight - a see saw action tending to favor the Germans in our game - but a formation wrecker - when the Amis get a full activation the artillery hurts like hell.

A swirling action of 1st SS, 2nd SS, elements of Peiper and 12th SS mixed up with 82nd, 7th Armored and the remains of the 28th. 106th and other miscellany make for a mess north of the Ambleve River- blows and counter blows to protect MSRs and push forward for to the Meuse and exit areas for the Germans.

It got to look real bad; even hopeless for the Americans as the 9th and 2nd SS with 106th and Lehr in the far rear and 1stt to the South tried to get in position to run off - but the Amis sure junked it up with small teams and ad hoc groupings of units that make supply connectivity tenuous.

Will the 2nd and 9th SS be able to leave the board in sufficient numbers with an MSR link? Looked possible when they got done. but not now.

It is about to be the 22nd of December - it is now time for the Germans to go for the sudden victory of getting the 9th and 2nd off board or fight for a highwater mark of VP locations for the Allies to overcome.

One decision does not necessarily support the other.

The Allies can decide to either keep those German MSRs threatened and cut (exit irrelevant if no supply line a the time) or go into them and wreck them up - too many losses on Germans negates them earning Leave.

But to do so might get the AMis torn up - and the Germans in a better position to gain a High Water Victory.

The Amis may in fact decide to go high risk and actually drive behind the Germans and cut their legs out from under them - but that might trap them...

What a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.