$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – The Force Awakens Core Set» Forums » General

Subject: Why get 2 core sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About to get into this and have read a number of posts about getting 2 core sets, my question is why?

Why go for another core set when there are so many expansions to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm a NASPA certified SCRABBLE Director.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cheaper than buying the expansions. You get another set of turn templates and dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never did the two core sets either. Would rather have expansions. I don't need extra ties and x- wings when I can mix it up with expansions.

I'm glad I bought an extra dice pack since that's the only thing I was missing from core set; not enough dice.

Edit: actually I have been shopping for a good deal on a Force Awakens core set to go with my original. See good points below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Cheaper than buying extra X-Wings and TIEs separately.
2. Extra dice, useful as you don't get quite enough in one box.
3. Extra movement templates. Handy but not essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest a Force Awakens core set and a regular core set. Here's my quick list of why:

* If aesthetics are your thing, you get different paint schemes with each

* There are different cards in each, so you can build different fleets

* Two core sets (regardless if they are the same or different) allows for creating bigger fleets

* It's almost worth it for the extra dice alone

* it's also worth it for a second set of templates so you don't have to share

Negatives:

* you could spend that money on expansions, and alternative ships

ninjaed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two?

I think I bought six. Four of the old ones, and two Force Awakens ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers guys, there is a definite logic to that, not having played it I presume the extra ships in the set are used regularly then - conscious some starters have weaker hardly used pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best use for more than one core set is the extra Range ruler.

The single most helpful thing I have found is cut extra Range rulers at the 1 and 2 Ranges.

That way you have a separate Range 1 ruler and a separate Range 2 ruler plus your regular Range 3 ruler.

It is much more helpful thank it sounds as it is easier to measure short distances without the huge Range 3 stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another less obvious sub-point to the "cheaper than buying expansions" reason is that the core sets seem to be quite often deeply discounted, where I rarely see any sort of discount on individual expansions. There have been rare occasions I have seen entire core sets for $10, the typical price for an individual expansion. If you stumble upon one of those deals, it's pretty hard to justify passing up three more ships (along with all the other stuff previously mentioned) at the same price point as just one expansion.

On the other hand, you are asking recommendations from a group of people who have likely spent hundreds of dollars on plastic toy spaceships, so it's hard to justify any course of action based on logic or reason at this point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, i would get the dice app instead of more dice.

I have one core set, seven expansions (two T70s, three TIE/FOs, one YT2400 and one HWK-290) plus the dice app.

It's remarkable how complete and fun a tabletop miniatures game X-Wing is. Over time i may add some more Force Awakens content to my set, but what i have already is enough for some fun, dining room table battles with my 9yo youngling.

May the Force be with you goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel VanDyke
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am just getting into this and have considered getting another core set or 2 for Force Awakens. My question is if I bought the expansion ships separately, do you get anything in the package that is NOT in the core set? Are all of the cards the same, etc...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "blister packs" come with different pilots. I find the X-Wing wiki a good source for this, as you can see exactly what comes in each package. For example, the T-70 X-Wing blister pack comes with the unique pilot Ello Asty.

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Ello_Asty

You don't get him in the core set.

However, I am definitely in the "get two core sets" camp as having the extra dice and maneuver templates and so on definitely is convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel VanDyke
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thank you Dave, that is exactly the information I have been wondering about. Still, I think I will get a second core pack for the reasons stated and just to beef up my squadron a bit and then buy 1 of each blister to get the additional card to have in a leader role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the only downside to two cores is a few duplicate "unique" cards. Poe, bb-8....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going for 1 original and 1 Force Awakens core set to avoid some of the duplication

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torkijo wrote:
Im going for 1 original and 1 Force Awakens core set to avoid some of the duplication

This.

I ended up with multiple Force Awakens sets simply because I found them really, really cheap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 core sets! Two of the original and one of the Force Awakens. I originally owned two of the first core sets and then most recently bought the FA core set when I found it cheap. Never hurts to have more dice, ships and alike. I've gotten into having big battles with my friend, his sons and a few others. Forget these little 100 point battles. We've done 500 pointers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pants
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey I'm just getting into X-wing and I don't want to buy a core set but I'm looking for the FA battle deck. Do any of ya'll have an extra deck you are willing to part with? DM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certainly damage decks available on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two core sets of FA...anybody have an extra set of pilot cards from the original core you would like to trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.