Subject: AAR Advance and Destroy redux - Dec 24-25 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24 December (Turn 3)

Normal, Poor, 1 hex (Bad news for the Bastogne garrison)
Germans receive 2 AV, 1 Tiger and 4 non-AV replacements
Allies receive 1 AV and 14 non-AV replacements
The 657 Flak Battalion is assigned to 79VG. The 668 Flak Battalion is unassigned from 352VG.
Allied Air Points: 0

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), G(276VG), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

276th Volksgrenadier Division
The SNAFU roll is going to be bad, but with a bit of luck the formation can get in front of 10th Armored and slow the drive north.
Fatigue: 3
SNAFU mods: -5
Prep Def is created.
Activation: Fail
I take the Fail, as I need to flip the battalion into deployed mode. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(109/28), G(26VG), G(15PG)
The German chooses…

15th Panzergrenadier Division
Fatigue: 0
SNAFU mods: +1
Activation: Pass
With luck the reinforcing division can get to Clervaux and oppose the central breakthrough before 10th Armored gets to move. The truck-move units can reach Clervaux with move to spare thanks to the primary roads via Noville, but the tac-move armour are lagging behind a little. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(10AD), F(79VG), 5(FJ)
The Germans get three much needed activations in a row despite having fewer formation chits to draw.
They choose…

79th Volksgrenadier Division
SNAFU mods: +2
Prep Def is set up
Activation: Partial
The battalions fan out to back-stop the Fuhrer Grenadiers and block routes to Wiltz from the Skyline Drive. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), A(80ID), G(352VG)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored
Fatigue: 2
SNAFU mods: -2
The Combat Command manoeuvres to provide flank protection for 10th Armored. The cavalry battalion successfully forces I/988 to retreat with a step loss (to 3). Fatigue increases to 3. A 2nd activation is rolled and is used to recover.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), G(352VG), A(10AD)
The German chooses…

352 Volksgrenadier Division
I don’t want to activate 5FJ until after 4th Armored has closed with them.
SNAFU mods: -6
The unit moves south to clear confusion with 276VG. A 2nd activation is gained and a recovery is taken to drop fatigue to 2.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), A(10AD), A(80ID)
The Allies choose…

10th Armored Division

SNAFU mods: -1
TF Riley deploys and drives north to engage the unprepared battalions of 15PG outside Clervaux, killing 2 steps. The TF then captures Marnach, forcing the Germans to retreat at the cost of 1 step (to 5) and Traffic in the captured hex. The 90th Cavalry kills 2 steps of the I/115 (to 2), and then attacks and captures the hex north of Clervaux, killing another step (to 1). TF Standish captures another hex adjacent to Clervaux. TF Chamberlain moves up in support, and a barrage kills 1 step of II/104. Fatigue increases to 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

Fatigue: 1
With no time pressure to seize Clervaux, the division concentrates on using firepower and barrage to reduce the strength of 15PG before they are able to set up defences. II/104 is completely eliminated. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), A(101AB), A(CCB/10)
The Allies choose…

CCB/10th Armored

The skies are still overcast, and with no re-supply the formation loses its last step and is removed.

Formation Draw: A(26ID), G(5FJ), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
SNAFU mods: 0
The division pressures the Fuhrer Grenadiers, but the attacks go poorly with attacker losses and no retreats. Barrages still do some damage, including I step from the FG Panther battalion (to 4). Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(26VG), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

4th Infantry Division
Skirmishing and barrages kill 4 steps of the opposing 212VG at the cost of 1 step from TF Luckett. Fatigue increases to 3 and there is a 2nd activation. This is used to recover.

Formation Draw: A(109/28), A(5ID), A(4AD)
The Allies choose…

109th/28 Regiment
Fatigue: 4
SNAFU mods: -5
The unit was hoping to clear the path of 5th ID, but flips to recover a point of fatigue instead.

Formation Draw: G(26VG), A(5ID), A(4AD)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division
Armour pushes up the main road to Bastogne and the flanking road to the west, but no gains are made. Fatigue increases to 2 and a 2nd activation is rolled.

Engagements succeed in eliminating the both steps of Stug support. An attack to capture the western bridge is a great success by TF Irzyk, and the battalion blocking the main road are taking heavy losses. Fatigue remains at 2.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde). A(80ID), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division

The unit marches north through Ettelbruck and the trail north, with lead units reaching Bourscheid. A 2nd activation is rolled.

The formation deploys and advances until it hit’s the 79 VG perimeter SE of Wiltz. Spotted barrages kill 3 steps of the enemy. Fatigue increases to 1.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), G(26VG), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

5th Fallshirmjager Division
Prep Def is dropped to allow I/14 to get to its destination.
I/14 races to the crossroads at 5715 in order to block any attempt to open a supply route to Bastogne. Current there are a couple of potential routes only held closed by single units of the besieging formation, so this adds an extra safety net. The defensive line is rearranged to move stronger units forward. Barrages only manage to eliminate 1 step of the 24th Engineer Battalion (to 3). Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(FGrenBde), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
Fatigue: Fresh
The Brigade’s tanks are in a bit of a situation. They are trapped on a trail with multiple enemy support AVZoCs. The Tigers drop the support of 1/328, killing a step of Tank Destroyers (to 2) and then move to 1911 where they also drop the support of 3/328. This allows the Panther battalion to pull back north of the Sure, killing a step of 3/328 (to 4) as they drive past. Other units fall back on the HQ. Fresh status is lost and a 2nd activation is gained.

The Brigade falls back over the river, with the Tigers lashing out and killing another step of the supporting TDs (to 1) as they go. Fatigue remains at zero.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(212VG), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

101st Airborne Division
MSR Blocked 2
SNAFU mods: -6
With nothing to be done each unit loses another step to isolation. The 326 Engineer battalion goes to the graveyard and 4 other battalions are down to a single step.

Formation Draw: A(6Cav), G(26VG), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

212th Volksgrenadier Division
A recovery is taken to lower fatigue to 2.

Formation Draw: A(6Cav), G(26VG), A(5ID)
The Allies choose…

5th Infantry Division

5th Infantry, now reinforced with its two remaining regiments, marches swiftly up the Skyline Drive on the heels of 10th Armored. A 2nd activation is gained.

SNAFU mods: -3
The division concentrates between Hosingen and Wilwerwiltz, ready to support attacks on either Wiltz or Clervaux tomorrow.

Formation Draw: A(6Cav), G(26VG)
The Allies win the die roll…

6th Cavalry Group
The Cavalry press somewhat over-cautiously toward the eastern flank of the 5FJ at Boulaide. There is no 2nd activation.

26th Volksgrenadier Division

Barrages kill 2 steps from 101st battalions. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is rolled.

Barrages kill 2 more steps and eliminate 1/501. Fatigue increases to 2. An attack by I/902 kills the last step of 3/501 and takes Mont, opening a path to Bastogne. General Kokott predicts the fall of the city to his forces as a Christmas present for the Fuhrer.

25 December (Turn 4)

Freeze, Good, 2 hexes (Patton’s prayer is answered)
Whoops - just noticed I didn’t bring on a reinforcing regiment for 26ID last turn. I’ll place them in reserve behind the main line at Eschdorf, where they could have reached on the full activation.
Germans receive 2 AV and 4 non-AV replacements
Allies receive 4 AV and 5 non-AV replacements
The 668 Flak Battalion is assigned to 5FJ.
Allied Air Points: 7

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), G(5FJ), G(15PG)
A good draw for the Germans, who can get the 15PG into a defensive posture before Clervaux can be overrun. What they really want is 26VG to come up early so they can take Bastogne before the skies fill with supply planes.
The German chooses…

15th Panzergrenadier Division
Set up Prep Def
The panzer battalion deploys and drives off the 10th Armored cavalry with a 1 step loss (to 4). This allows a 2nd battalion to reinforce Clervaux city. Artillery has no effect on TFs Standish or Chamberlain. Fatigue remains at zero and a 2nd activation is gained.

I don’t really want to get into a tank duel with the US forces, as a) they can replace losses a lot faster than the Germans, and b) 10th Armored is going to be withdrawn soon anyway. The division hunkers down and just uses artillery barrage which knocks a step off TF Standish (to 7 - hell, these US tank units are strong!). Fatigue remains at zero.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), A(80ID), A(5ID)
The Allies choose…

5th Infantry Division

The division pushes west to clear the mixing with 10th Armored. An attack north kills 2 steps of III/104 at the cost of a step from the ½. More significantly, 3/11 is able to take the stream crossing to Wiltz, throwing back II/212 with losses. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation, which saves the 79VG HQ from being overrun.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), A(109/28), G(9VG)
The Germans choose…

276th Volksgrenadier Division
The formation drives off CCA/9’s cavalry battalion at the cost of a step, and pushes aggressively west to try and threaten Skyline Drive and the Allied supply lines. Fatigue increases to 4 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(6Cav), A(26ID), A(10AD)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
TF Hamilton probes the open western flank of the FGB, trading losses with II/226. The rest of the division moves up to the south bank of the Sure. Fatigue increases to 2 and there is a 2nd activation.

The left hook continues, with II/226 being encircled and losing support, but holding off the attack of 3/104. FGB will be cut off unless they fall back from the Sure.

Formation Draw: G(212VG), G(352VG), A(4AD)
The Germans choose…

212th Volksgrenadier Division
The formation takes a recovery and lowers fatigue to 1. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(80ID), G(FGrenBde), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division

II/208 of the 76VG takes 2 steps lost (to 1) when they driven back towards Wiltz. Fatigue remains t1 and there is a 2nd activation.

Three attacks along the eastern defence of Wiltz each result in a step loss to both sides. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(352VG), A(6Cav), G(79VG)
The Germans choose…

79th Volksgrenadier Division
I need to protect the supply line against 5th Infantry coming in from the north, but there just aren’t enough bodies to effectively defend Wiltz from 3 sides. The 88’s kill a step of 3/11 (to 5) but the artillery is ineffective. The division falls back into Wiltz, with little hope of avoiding encirclement tomorrow. The unit remains Fresh and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(352VG), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

6th Cavalry Group
The Group chase II/13 away from Boulaide with losses, and push north as far as CR will allow. The HQ is slowed by the need to skirt Martelange without causing coordination problems with 4th Armored. Fatigue increases to 2 and there is a 2nd activation.

The 6th overruns the Fallshirmjager HQ, while an attack on the retreating II/13 causes a step loss for the 28th. Fatigue remains at 2.

Formation Draw: G(9VG), G(26VG), A(109/28)
The Germans choose…

26th Volksgrenadier Division
This is the chance to take Bastogne before the 101st can recover. There is only a 2AR static engineer battalion with the HQ in the city. The II/901 from Lehr attacks, with an assist from I/901 and a suppression barrage. The engineers are independent, so don’t benefit from the 101st Prep Def. The result is 8 to 5, so a +3 on the attack roll. The roll is a 7. The attacker takes a step loss, and because the city is defensive terrain so do the engineers (to 2). Bastogne holds (a roll of 8+ would have taken the city). A barrage finishes off the 3/127 glider infantry. Fatigue increase to 3 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(109/28), G(5FJ), G(FGrenBde)
The Germans choose…

5th Fallshirmjager Division
Establish Prep Def
I accept the fail in order to flip the Train and the unit in 5715 while setting up a prepared defence. The 2 westernmost units are out of CR and each loses a step. I get a 2nd activation.

Units get back into CR of the HQ, while, 2 battalions force the 6th Cavalry squadron to retreat. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), A(109/28), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

109th/28 Regiment
Activation: Recovery
There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4AD), G(9VG), A(101AB)
The Allies choose…

101st Airborne Division
5 Air points are used to modify the SNAFU roll, removing the MSR Blocked marker.
[Just noticed a mistake with the 101st - you can’t be in Prep Def if you have an MRS Blocked marker - they would re-establish this turn in any case]
1/506 is lost trying to force II/901 away from Bastogne. I/901 loses 2 steps (to 3) from barrage. The paras contract around Bastogne to cover the gaps left by attrition. Fatigue increase to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(10AD), G(FGB), G(352VG)
The Germans choose…

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
Prep Def is dropped
It’s time to skedaddle. The defence is dropped in the hope of a full activation, and with it the Brigade speeds north to escape the jaws of the trap closing around Wiltz. The panzers and HQ are able to block the Wiltz-Bastogne road and protect the supply Trains, but the infantry find it hard to disengage from 26ID and each of the 2 battalions loses a step to isolation for being out of CR.

Formation Draw: G(9VG), A(CCA/9), G(352VG)
The Germman chooses…

9th Volksgrenadier Division
The lead troops cycle west through Bitburg with orders to head for Clervaux. There is a 2nd activation.

The fast-paced march continues, approaching the West Wall at Dasburg.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), G(352VG), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored

A flip lowers fatigue to 1.

Formation Draw: A(4AD), A(10AD), G(352VG)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division

Armour and cavalry pour around the fallschirmjager flank attempting to cut units off from their HQ, while powerful barrages cripple the front line units. Fatigue remains at 2 but there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(10AD), A(4ID), G(352VG)
The Allies choose…

10th Armored Division
Three task forces line the river bank facing Clervaux and open fire. The support is driven off, and heavy tank fire and barrages eliminate the Pioneer battalion and reduce the remaining I/104 to 2 steps. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(352VG)
The Germans win the roll…

352nd Volksgrenadier Division

Activation: Recovery
A 2nd activation is rolled which is also used to recover. The single step Ersatz battalion is fighting fit and ready for action!

4th Infantry Division
Barrages kill 5 steps of 212VG. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

So at the end of T4 I see another quick Allied victory on the cards. Wiltz and Clervaux should fall in a turn or 2, and even if Bastogne falls I don’t think retaking it will be too much of a problem for 4AD and the 2 new divisions coming on next turn. I really struggle to see how this can be a 10 turn scenario, since it seems to me even 6 turns would be fairly easy for the US to take their objectives.. Has anyone any experience of a German victory in Advance and Destroy? Am I making stupid decisions with the German forces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.