Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I need a mystery murder game that doesn't get boring to play between the same 2 people? Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack is a modern classic... The Detective player tries to determine which character is secretly the killer, and the Mr. Jack player tries to avoid capture, and possibly even escape from the board.

(Or Mr. Jack Pocket if you want a tiny game! But it feels more abstract to me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Mr. Jack is a modern classic... The Detective player tries to determine which character is secretly the killer, and the Mr. Jack player tries to avoid capture, and possibly even escape from the board.

(Or Mr. Jack Pocket if you want a tiny game! But it feels more abstract to me.)

Yes!

And there are others in the Mr. Jack series: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra and Mr. Jack in New York

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases would have you, and your girlfriend attempting to solve cases together. It is very tough. There are nine cases (I think) that come in the game, with expansion cases that you can find out there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases would have you, and your girlfriend attempting to solve cases together. It is very tough. There are nine cases (I think) that come in the game, with expansion cases that you can find out there too.

Problem with Sherlock is after you solved the case you can't replay it, unless you have really bad memory. It's a one time play kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick card game, NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship Mr Jack to where I live, but they do ship Mr Jack in New York. Would I be missing out or are they the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
HEEEEEEEEEELLLP MEEEEEEEEEE..AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for noir. It has 2 player modes and different modes for different player counts.
Also heard a lot of good things for Letters from whitechapel. I just got it but havent had a chance to play it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
petoly wrote:
+1 for noir. It has 2 player modes and different modes for different player counts.
Also heard a lot of good things for Letters from whitechapel. I just got it but havent had a chance to play it yet.

LFW is amazing, and despite the box saying it plays more, it's best with two. One player has hidden movement, the other has more people to move and search with. It's brilliant and hugely addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Jack and Mr. Jack in New York are not the same game but the same system. They play the same way and have the same strategy. From my recollection the New York version is more open ended on the board. Either should work for you.

I personally have Le Fantôme de l'Opéra and used to have the New York version (I gave it to my brother in law). Feel free to research which game in the system will work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship Mr Jack to where I live, but they do ship Mr Jack in New York. Would I be missing out or are they the same?

From most accounts, Mr Jack in New York is even better, so I don't believe you'd miss anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.