Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles » Musings On

Subject: CCG vs LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Binx Brett
msg tools
Just curious but are others also tired of the LCG format?

Don't get me wrong, it certainly has its benefits, no doubt. But I have to say that, by and large, I'm disinclined to prefer the format over that of CCG's or TCG's.

I'll concede that the cost-vs-collection argument is valid - to collect a full and complete set does 'seem' to be cheaper and is obviously much easier, but to me, that doesn't outweigh the excitement that is lost through the use of it. Some of my most cherished card gaming memories are pulling that one elusive rare from a booster.

Now it can obviously go both ways. Magic is a clear offender in this area, constructing sets at such a rapid and sickening pace that the gamer+collector has no choice but to sell his old cards to keep up with the latest format. But a number of games in the past exemplified a happy mild.

The impetus for this post was hearing of the new Arkham Horror Card game. I'm super excited for it but the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about how much I wish it was being constructed for a different format. I miss the days when FFG had CCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest downside to the LCG model is the fact that none have really even been able to survive. We'll see if Netrunner can keep going as it enters the rotation phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Calka
United States
Holland
OTTAWA-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not at all.

I grew up playing CCGs. Magic, Star Wars, Battletech, Pokemon, Star Trek, etc. Most of it was spent playing friendly games with other people who were also interested (most of my friends played MTG and Star Wars), but I also got into the competitive scene a bit. Then I abandoned it. Why? Because imho, you wing CCGs with money. People need a reason to want rare and ultra-rare cards, so game developers make those cards more powerful. Since many decks are based upon said powerful cards as a keystone, you end up needing to buy packs, trade or out-right purchasing the cards to build the decks you want to play.

LCGs got me back into card gaming. No longer did I feel that I had to spend a ton of money to be competitive at all. Instead I research which cards look fun / interesting to me and if I want to buy the pack that has it. With a number of LCGs also being asymmetrical or having multiple factions, I can pretty easily get other friends interested in the game just due to the fact I have a a whole set of cards that I can hand them to make decks with.

For me, the high of playing good games with people replaced the high of opening up random packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Super-happy that this will come out as an LCG, it's appropriate for a wholly co-op game to be released using the LCG (read "serial/episodic") format, making it completely different in nature to competitive LCG or "buy to win" CCG.

Finally, I can actually subscribe to an LCG knowing that I'll be able to play it ('cos I'll almost certainly solo it), so my investment won't be wasted. Unlike my Android: Netrunner investment, where I've played <5 games or my investment in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, where my preferred "Saga expansions only" route proved to be too challenging for me.

I'll be divesting myself of LotR and ANR in preparation for AHCG consuming the shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, very happy with the LCG format. Would like to see a slower release schedule, but that's all. (But then, I'm playing all of their LCGs casually - so that impacts my view of their releases... I mostly end up just picking up the deluxe expansions.) Will buy Arkham Horror this year, and Legend of the Five Rings next year.

Very disappointed that FFG are dabbling with a collectible game again, I absolutely despise the collectible format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no one seems to have gotten the release schedules right. It's a fine line between keeping up interest in the game, especially at the higher, tournament levels, by keeping the meta fresh, and overwhelming the more casual players.

What I dislike more is the fact that all the recent FFGs have taken cool licenses that I enjoy, and have turned them into coops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.