Hide
14 Posts

The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about first mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Tolopka
msg tools
I played the first mission last night as the Sins player. Felt pretty overwhelmed right away by the heroes but after they got the 4 upgrades, they moved down the cleanse 4 pentagrams part of the story line. They fairly easily cleansed 2 pentagrams, but I ended up stacking monsters (controller, 2 hell club members,and a steady stream of acolytes and abominations) in the room with the remaining pentagrams. I then just kept adding pentagrams to that room at the start of rounds, giving me more dice rolls and making it impossible for the heroes to complete their mission as they needed to cleanse a pentagram in an area without monsters. They couldn't use the orbital laser to kill any of the big baddies anytime they moved in to attack was rolling 15-20 dice and wiping out any hero. Ranged wasn't helpful as they couldn't shoot into a building from outside. We debated that maybe the heroes should be placing the tokens at round start, but it then seemed like it would be just as unbalanced for them to place a token out on a hero tile without any monsters and easily cleanse that. Am I missing something, or is this something that would just work itself out in future plays?

My questions are:
1) is there a limit to the number of pentagrams?
2) it's not very clear but do the faith or sins place the 3 new tokens every round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it correctly and assume that there is a countering strategy to prevent this eventuality. I sincerely hope and expect that the recommended first scenario was playtested thoroughly and is not broken in any manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
You played correctly.
A1) Limited by number of pentagram tokens.
A2) Sin places the tokens every round.

The 2B mission is very dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Warlock00 wrote:
You played correctly.
A1) Limited by number of pentagram tokens.
A2) Sin places the tokens every round.

The 2B mission is very dangerous.

Sounds very very poorly designed in a way that scares me. I backed this absurdly late, after reading that they went over everything with a fine toothed comb again - this is moderate evidence that parts of the game don't work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems like to me the heroes played the board badly cause they could of easily stopped you from moving more baddies in that one room by blocking the entrance to that building cause no Sins monsters can move from an area with a hero in it? Also I would add they should of grabbed extra turn tokens so they could enter the area and do a cleanse of the extra pentagrams in the area not needed to complete the mission and then do an attack so you start to loose your bonus ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think one session report is evidence the game is broken. This indicates depth and strategic and tactical possibilities. I can envision a few counter strategies and would love to hear confirmation.

The game seems to favor a brutal crush of the heroes when they misstep. Highly thematic. No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes can pin monsters to prevent the Sins player from moving them, and Rose can teleport any monster on the board a space away at the end of each of her moves (so 2 or 3 times per round, if Leah has given her the extra move).

Being able to move three (or four if tokens were gained from city actions, or held over from the previous round) monsters off of the pentagrams to the surrounding streets seems a workable counter.

Having two hell club members out on the board suggests to me that the players had been taking too long or suffering too many casualties already for the second stage of the mission (because that's two apocalypse card draws), so their earlier play may have hindered them, but that's as it should be, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this same 'issue' the first game played. Sloth piled all of the abominations into one room and added as many pentagrams to that room as they could as well. Sins player used a few sin card that allowed him to move multiple monsters at once to achieve this and then turtled up in that single district.

After losing, I tried to think of things we could have done to prevent this. One was focus on keeping creature numbers down initially so they would need to be spawned more spread out. Secondly, respond with attacks as soon as we saw what was happening. Thirdly, I don't think we took enough advantage of taking corruption early on to tear through monsters before they got powered up via Apocalypse Track/Cards.

We also made an error (my fault in teaching rules) that we were using an action to activate city actions instead of doing it as a free action. This sucked up a lot of our actions and probably hurt us substantially.

All in all, the Sins strategy was sound for this scenario. However, I don't know if they'd be able to get away with it a second time now that we have a better understanding of the game. I do agree that it seems like a tough second story step options for an intro scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't have the story board yet, but doesn't the Sins player have to put the tokens in different spaces when placing them at the start of a round? This would prevent your situation from occurring, as the heroes would simply have to wait a round for new pentagrams to be placed outside the super-space, allowing you to complete the task.

And if it isn't an official rule, it's easy to make it a home rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The turtling strategy only works against first time players. Anybody who understands how the game works can easily prevent it. It reminds me of the Loki strategy in Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
tolopka wrote:
They fairly easily cleansed 2 pentagrams, but I ended up stacking monsters (controller, 2 hell club members,and a steady stream of acolytes and abominations) in the room with the remaining pentagrams.

How were you getting a steady stream of Acolytes and Abominations? When summoning monsters, you can only put monsters in a space with nests in excess of the number of monsters already there. Also, if they had the building surrounded, then monsters couldn't get in because they would be locked in position (i.e. a monster can't leave a space with a hero for any reason).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night, using the suggested first mission, and after we finished (what was a fairly close game) I brought up this thread, as I finally understood what the OP was talking about.

Since the Sins player can only move 1 (perhaps more with Sin cards) monster per reaction, the players should see this type of "stacking" strategy starting to form. They should never let the Sins player start to concentrate monsters in a single place.

Truthfully, this would only work for the Sins player in very specific circumstances, and again, it takes time for the Sin to do it. Believe me, I tried to and our Morgana player rolled in and wrecked house.

I had my best success by chipping away over time, and once Wrath hit the board, I took advantage of failed ranged attacks (the target wasn't killed and could reach the Shooter). I then moved the Avatar, dropped in an Acolyte, and used Sins cards to pile on the punishment. Moves like this were far more effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heroes should also take note of where the Sin is dropping pentagrams. Two start on the board, and another is going to go down before they take an action. An attempt to heavy stack should be visible fairly quickly, and the heroes can move to block it. Remember that monsters cannot leave a space with a hero - this makes it easy for a Bruiser to play gate guard and disrupt the developing stack. And if they can, piling the pentagrams in one place can easily backfire on the Sin.

But if the heroes can't slow it down, well, there's always the other mission. I'm pretty that's why they give you the choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:
tolopka wrote:
They fairly easily cleansed 2 pentagrams, but I ended up stacking monsters (controller, 2 hell club members,and a steady stream of acolytes and abominations) in the room with the remaining pentagrams.

How were you getting a steady stream of Acolytes and Abominations? When summoning monsters, you can only put monsters in a space with nests in excess of the number of monsters already there. Also, if they had the building surrounded, then monsters couldn't get in because they would be locked in position (i.e. a monster can't leave a space with a hero for any reason).

This was my thought as well, I wondered if the Sin player was illegally placing monsters in the building with the Pentagrams and forgetting the Spawn rules for monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.