Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Self-made Nintendo boardgame problems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jarno van der wegen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I am new on this site and it might just be right under my nose, but i can't find it. So instead i will ask my question.

I have problems making a good and easy to use test boardgame. I have made a self-made Nintendo game (will be uploaded later this year), but before i can upload my trail version i have to fix some problems.

i have made my boardgame in word, but it is difficult to make the size of all the cards the same size. i also have to print, cut, and clue all the card to each other.

so basically making a useable trail version for people to download.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a paper cutter? A nice paper cutter and registration lines make it much easier. If you already do and you still can't cut the cards out manually in the same size, perhaps you should use some POD service (like the game crafter, or drive-through cards).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered doing screenshots of the cards as displayed in Word then resize or crop as needed?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you design tables in word you can define the exact size of the single cells. This should be sufficient for digital publishing.

Edit: if you define the cards 63*88 mm, you can easily use magic card sleeves for prototyping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought piles of blank cards which I put in sleeves with test cards printed on very thin paper (80gsm, or less if I can find it). Excellent for prototypes, and you can't tell the difference if you print the test cards a little smaller.

For exact sizes it's possible to use HTML+CSS if you have absolutely no DTP or layout options. There are various examples around these forums, but CSS can basically take any real-world measurement in addition to pixel and point sizes, which should be pretty exact when printed at 100% (your printer may vary, stars may not be aligned in your favour).

It's a decent solution for batch creation of similar cards if you know any programming, but fiddly until you have it all aligned and sized perfectly. I made myself tools for HTML/CSS generation from simple data files.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
YoshiPower wrote:
Hey all,

I am new on this site and it might just be right under my nose, but i can't find it. So instead i will ask my question.

I have problems making a good and easy to use test boardgame. I have made a self-made Nintendo game (will be uploaded later this year), but before i can upload my trail version i have to fix some problems.

i have made my boardgame in word, but it is difficult to make the size of all the cards the same size. i also have to print, cut, and clue all the card to each other.

so basically making a useable trail version for people to download.



within Word you can actually set exact size of each image. That way all the images will end up being the same dimensions.

Resize to an exact height and width
Click the picture, shape, text box, or WordArt that you want to resize.

NOTE: If you have trouble selecting the object because it is behind another object or objects, click the top object, and then press TAB until your object is selected.

Do one of the following:

To resize a picture, under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Size group, enter the measurements that you want into the Height and Width boxes.


NOTE: If you do not see the Picture Tools and Format tabs, make sure that you selected a picture, shape, text box, or WordArt.

To resize a shape, text box, or WordArt; under Drawing Tools, on the Format tab, in the Size group, enter the measurements that you want into the Height and Width boxes.


NOTE: If you do not see the Drawing Tools and Format tabs, make sure that you selected a picture, shape, text box, or WordArt.

In the Size group, click the Dialog Box Launcher Icon image .

On the Size tab, under Scale, clear the Lock aspect ratio check box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have more problems than you are aware of.

Nintendo is one of the most aggressive companies when it come to defending their intellectual properties (IP for short). When they catch wind that someone is using their name, any of their titles, their characters, etc. they quickly lawyer up and shut you down and/or sue you. Sorry to sound so negative, but I'd hate to see you waste your time.

Good luck... You'll need it!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Paint is your friend for cropping images down to size really quickly.

You can also make a table in word the size of the cards you want to print out - that'll make it easier for cutting.

Plus if you want to get fancy with text you can use excel for the card text and mail merge into word. Can be a bit of a faff but once you've got one it's much quicker than typing them out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
I think you have more problems than you are aware of.

Nintendo is one of the most aggressive companies when it come to defending their intellectual properties (IP for short). When they catch wind that someone is using their name, any of their titles, their characters, etc. they quickly lawyer up and shut you down and/or sue you. Sorry to sound so negative, but I'd hate to see you waste your time.

Good luck... You'll need it!


My friend was sued 4 times by Nintendo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jarno van der wegen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Im aware of this, but it is for personal use among friends and i won't try to sell it. But thanks for the warning. I will rethink uploading it to this site then or do you think it is okay here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you upload it you will have issues with Nintendo. Maybe I'm wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
YoshiPower wrote:
Im aware of this, but it is for personal use among friends and i won't try to sell it. But thanks for the warning. I will rethink uploading it to this site then or do you think it is okay here?


the problem you may run into though is that even if you don't sell it, the game has potential to become the next big cult thing. IF that happens, yes you might be sued because now even if you are not making money, you used their IP to get a certain level of fame and if you create another project and get all the followers from your Nintendo game to buy your new game Nintendo can technically argue that the new game is getting all the attention because you built your fan base upon their product.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.