Subject: do pump cards count as combo cards? (need official confirmation) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, this goes to David Sirlin, but any community input from tournament players will do, I guess.

Here's the question: Do cards used to pump an attack count as combo cards? (I do know they don't cost any combo points).

I'm asking because the German rulebook says specifically that cards used to pump are not part of the combo. Which kind of surprises me, given some of the wording in the English rules and FAQ (especially with regard to Jaina's ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pump cards are not part of a combo. They are a different damage adding effect. They don't use combo points. For example, the rulebook described hitting back with an attack or throw after a dodge, and that these can be pumped. I think it's fairly clear that pump cards are not "combo cards" or "part of a combo."

I think I see the ambiguity about which you are concerned, in the FAQ:

"Q: Can I return cards to my hand with Burning Vigor that I discarded to pump up my attacks?
A: Yes. Optional discards to pump up your Queens, Kings, and Aces can be returned to your hand with Burning Vigor."

This makes one think pump cards may be part of a combo, I think this is a special case, and why is has been addressed in the FAQ. But that generally, no pump cards are "part of the combo." Please others correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish this stuff were worded/explained just slightly better, but yes they are part of a combo and count as combo cards. Not explicitly stated afaik, but you can infer this from several parts of the English rulebook about pumping, Jokers, and followups, and from Jaina's character card/FAQ as you said.

No idea what the German rulebook says, but I've seen other games translated to German where German players have pointed out mistranslations/misunderstandings from English games that change the rules by mistake.

As the rules were originally written in English, you definitely use the long-standing English rules as the authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
I wish this stuff were worded/explained just slightly better, but yes they are part of a combo and count as combo cards. Not explicitly stated afaik, but you can infer this from several parts of the English rulebook about pumping, Jokers, and followups, and from Jaina's character card/FAQ as you said.

No idea what the German rulebook says, but I've seen other games translated to German where German players have pointed out mistranslations/misunderstandings from English games that change the rules by mistake.

As the rules were originally written in English, you definitely use the long-standing English rules as the authority.

So pump cards count as combo cards but just don't use combo points? And a pumped card still counts as "a single attack or throw"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yes pump cards are part of your combo. The point of Jaina's ability is that all the cards you play a in a combo can be gotten back, and pump cards are not an exception; they are, like any other cards in the combo..."combo cards".

This is explicitly answered in the faq, here:
http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/yomi-s...

"Q: Can I return cards to my hand with Burning Vigor that I discarded to pump up my attacks?
A: Yes. Optional discards to pump up your Queens, Kings, and Aces can be returned to your hand with Burning Vigor.?

The English rulebook links to that faq

EDIT: And to understand what a pump card even is, it's like an move in a fighting game that does multiple hits. Like Ken's hurricane kick is "one move" but it hits several times. So the extra pump cards are like the extra hits of that move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the clarification, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.