Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Including the 1 edition question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 1st edition main box and have included it on the app. I have played the game 4 times, 3 different scenarios. The app has used the monsters from the 1st ed. but never the tiles. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymrusaint wrote:
I have the 1st edition main box and have included it on the app. I have played the game 4 times, 3 different scenarios. The app has used the monsters from the 1st ed. but never the tiles. Has anyone else noticed this?

No, some of them have pulled from the base game. Not all. Some didnt. Scenario 2 for example appears to have had the tiles designed for it, so just used the 2nd Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the other scenarios, but I know for a fact that the first one has pulled tiles from the 1st ed base game and Forbidden Alchemy expansion for me. In fact my last game started with the lobby being the large lobby tile from the original game.

Try launching the first scenario a couple of times and you'll definitely see a different starting tile eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've only done scenario 3 a few times and so far the tiles seem to be exactly the same every game - and some items seemed fixed every game. Monsters and events happen at the same time, but obvious random draw locations give a different random item and the monsters have been different but of the same 1e class (Monster/Eldritch/Human) with the same hp based on the time they came out.

My conclusion for this game - if it came out with 10 scenarios at launch I would have felt it was worth the money, but at this price the game basically feels like a minis kit for an rpg with a small mini-game tacked on as a "value added" bonus... the 4 stories are just too light and repetitive, though fun the first time through.

As to scenario 1, I have learned from reading comments that it appears there are 6 possible map layouts. I also suspect that scenarios with 1e tiles will come out when they re-release the 1e figurines and tiles as MoM2e's first two expansions. When those come out, we'll probably have 8 scenarios total (4+2+2) so it will (hopefully) soon be worth the investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
Verbosity wrote:
I've only done scenario 3 a few times and so far the tiles seem to be exactly the same every game - and some items seemed fixed every game. Monsters and events happen at the same time, but obvious random draw locations give a different random item and the monsters have been different but of the same 1e class (Monster/Eldritch/Human) with the same hp based on the time they came out.

My conclusion for this game - if it came out with 10 scenarios at launch I would have felt it was worth the money, but at this price the game basically feels like a minis kit for an rpg with a small mini-game tacked on as a "value added" bonus... the 4 stories are just too light and repetitive, though fun the first time through.

As to scenario 1, I have learned from reading comments that it appears there are 6 possible map layouts. I also suspect that scenarios with 1e tiles will come out when they re-release the 1e figurines and tiles as MoM2e's first two expansions. When those come out, we'll probably have 8 scenarios total (4+2+2) so it will (hopefully) soon be worth the investment.

Exactly. It has none of the replayability of the original game. The scenario storylines change none at all, the best you can hope for is an intersting tile placement or different monster spawn. If you do exceptionally well expect two new sentences on the conclusion screen. $100!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be in the non-vocal minority here, but I kinda prefer having a single well-fleshed out scenario that properly covers success and failure and actually plays out like a proper story, with some minor variations VS having three differing plots with the same setup, with one of them being well structured and balanced (at best) and very little closure whether you win or lose (this is of course excluding CotW scenarios since those are close to 2nd edition in style anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I love first edition despite its faults, but I feel 2nd edition is the game I wanted first edition to be. The replay-ability (for me anyway) is in the variety of characters to select from. Try different characters and powers and items, try different strategies. Explore areas you never got to previously, or knowing what the plot is, try to sprint past unnecessary bits to succeed where you may have failed the first go-round or two. Maybe you'll get a series of bad rolls that severely cripple you, requiring you to get more creative or desperate in how you play. Maybe someone will go insane and add a whole new dynamic to the exact same scenario. This game (and any game for that matter) is as replayable as you make it.

If you argue after playing a single scenario a few times that you've seen all it has to offer, how is that any different than playing a 1st edition scenario with all three different variations?

The price point I can't really argue against, since a person's value of a game is different from the price. If your value of the game is higher than the price, then it is worth it, but if you don't feel the game has a value justifying the price, then of course it will seem too high. I personally am loving this game, and I know I will continue to with my group for quite some time, so the amount of value I will get out of this is much higher than $100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:

No need to suspect: it's been announced that the tile/mini sets will include one scenario each. With first edition components, you unlock them with base and Call of the Wild. (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/12/a-horro...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
I may be in the non-vocal minority here, but I kinda prefer having a single well-fleshed out scenario that properly covers success and failure and actually plays out like a proper story, with some minor variations VS having three differing plots with the same setup, with one of them being well structured and balanced (at best) and very little closure whether you win or lose (this is of course excluding CotW scenarios since those are close to 2nd edition in style anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I love first edition despite its faults, but I feel 2nd edition is the game I wanted first edition to be. The replay-ability (for me anyway) is in the variety of characters to select from. Try different characters and powers and items, try different strategies. Explore areas you never got to previously, or knowing what the plot is, try to sprint past unnecessary bits to succeed where you may have failed the first go-round or two. Maybe you'll get a series of bad rolls that severely cripple you, requiring you to get more creative or desperate in how you play. Maybe someone will go insane and add a whole new dynamic to the exact same scenario. This game (and any game for that matter) is as replayable as you make it.

If you argue after playing a single scenario a few times that you've seen all it has to offer, how is that any different than playing a 1st edition scenario with all three different variations?

The price point I can't really argue against, since a person's value of a game is different from the price. If your value of the game is higher than the price, then it is worth it, but if you don't feel the game has a value justifying the price, then of course it will seem too high. I personally am loving this game, and I know I will continue to with my group for quite some time, so the amount of value I will get out of this is much higher than $100.

I had to chime in and say I agree with this 100%. Having played the first scenario 4 different times now, I've enjoyed it thoroughly each time. The mix of starting equipment, investigator powers, dice rolls, insanity objectives, tile / monster randomization keeps it plenty fresh for me. Sure, the first couple times through is probably the best from a purely story perspective, but beyond that it shifts more towards a traditional mystery / horror / survival coop game with a fantastic theme and great app integration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:

Well said. I'm in your boat completely. Having played through Scenario 1 a good four times now, I am completely convinced that the randomization and variation is exactly how much is needed. It's the perfect mix of not changing the major plot points (and keeping the narrative feel in full flux) while retaining that sense of "mystery" of what could possible be behind each door.

Also making different decisions between playthroughs and doing different things in different orders has led to some great moments where I thought I had seen it all and was proven wrong. Little things like spending the time to fully read through Lilith's journal results in some cool in-game results that hadn't happened before.

And overall, this is the first Arkham Files game I've been able to play with my non-gamer friends, simply due to how smoothly the app runs the game, not to mention that set-up and a rules explanation can be done in 5 minutes (this was obviously NOT the case for 1st Ed). I think the designers have done something really special here, and there is something to be said about what they've accomplished in terms of accessibility and quickness of play, especially when you compare it to 1st Ed.

There will be some things that 1st Ed veterans miss (some liked being the Keeper and thought the puzzles were more interactive), but luckily, nothing is preventing them from breaking out their 1st Ed copy. I definitely agree that 2nd Ed is the game I always wanted Mansions to be, and I'm looking forward to diving into the longer, more complex scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Cymrusaint wrote:

I've had tiles from the old set in the first scenario, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.