Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm considering picking up some of the Nightmare quest decks. I'm not keen to mess about with having to order sleeves because of the difference in card texture & colour from the ones in the deluxe/adventure packs for a few reasons.

So I'm wondering if anyone just uses the Nightmare cards unsleeved it works out... does it give away much or are there any other subtle disadvantages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well how much does it matter to you that you would obviously know that a nightmare card is on top of the encounter deck or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much really, to be honest. The only exception I can think of might be if all the cards in a Nightmare pack were of the same kind, such as enemies. That way I'd then know there was definitely an enemy on top of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barring some savant like ability, knowing a card is a nightmare card isn't that much of a (literal) game changer. I suspect most people object to it more for aesthetic reasons than anything.

That being said, if it does seem to bother you it's really not that difficult/expensive to use a couple packs of inexpensive card sleeves and sleeve just the nightmare adventure you're using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I bought one 50-pack of the FFG card sleeves with the encounter card back (Eye of Sauron) for $8.49 on Ebay and that works great for me. I sleeve up all of the regular and nightmare encounter cards for any given quest, shuffle them and can't tell the difference until removing them from the sleeves at the end of the game. I haven't played enough different nightmare quests, though, to know if 50 of these sleeves is always enough.

Sleeving all of the encounter cards during a nightmare playthrough is the only way I can prevent myself from consciously giving myself a non-nightmare card of the top of my deck every time I have to shuffle - which happens a lot during the average game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Barring some savant like ability, knowing a card is a nightmare card isn't that much of a (literal) game changer. I suspect most people object to it more for aesthetic reasons than anything.
this is my feeling, so i just use clear sleeves (like i use to sleeve all the other quests).

knowing that a card is a nightmare card won't really affect any decisions i have about what i'm going to, just probably increase some of the dread i have flipping it over. i'm still going to try to quest a lot, defend, attack, etc., and that said, some nightmare quests turn some of the normal mode cards into monsters, so every card is scary anyway really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mabry
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Robrob wrote:
this is my feeling, so i just use clear sleeves (like i use to sleeve all the other quests).

knowing that a card is a nightmare card won't really affect any decisions i have about what i'm going to, just probably increase some of the dread i have flipping it over. i'm still going to try to quest a lot, defend, attack, etc., and that said, some nightmare quests turn some of the normal mode cards into monsters, so every card is scary anyway really.

I think it gives an unfair advantage to the players. There are definitely times where I've played Nightmare knowing that only one non-nightmare card in the deck can punish me for a given play. If I knew the top card of the deck was a nightmare card, I know I can take the greedy play with zero risk instead of risking, say, a 10% chance to get punished.

At that point, it really messes up the experience because I know I have knowledge I shouldn't have and it's hard to say how I would've played in the instance without that knowledge.

My friend isn't bothered by it as much, but I definitely need sleeves to play nightmare scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest solution to avoid marked cards being recognized is to draw from the bottom of the deck. No need for sleeves or anything. Obviously, if the deck is down to one card you will know what kind it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.