Subject: Order of actions in turn by turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie C.
United States
Saint Johns
Florida
flag msg tools
The rules state that in turn-by-turn mode, the captains "alternate announcing a course, allowing as much time as necessary for all players (emphasis mine) to complete their tasks." They also state under activating systems that "The Captain can activate systems at any time."

My interpretation of these statements makes it sound like captains must alternate movements, but all other actions are asynchronous. However in another thread, one of the game designers says "If you play turn by turn, each turn, each team MUST move, and CAN activate 1 system."

This makes it sound like it is very much "Team A does stuff, then Team B does stuff." If so, it'd be nice to get clarification of the order of actions within a team's turn.
1. In a single turn, can a captain activate a system that the first mate just readied?
2. For mines, activation means dropping the mine. The captain can then trigger a mine "at any time, except while surfaced". Can a different system be activated in the same turn that a mine as triggered?
3. Can an enemy captain activate a system in the middle of the other team's turn?
4. Can an enemy captain trigger a mine in the middle of the other team's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm confused!

I thought the rules were clear. Move or System. Much cleaner. Ugh. Back to the rules I go,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order of play is

1. Move (mandatory)
2. Activate a system (optional)

charoco wrote:

1. In a single turn, can a captain activate a system that the first mate just readied?

Yes.

charoco wrote:

2. For mines, activation means dropping the mine. The captain can then trigger a mine "at any time, except while surfaced". Can a different system be activated in the same turn that a mine as triggered?

As explained in this thread, my interpretation for this one is that blowing up a mine is NOT a system activation, and can be done at any time.

charoco wrote:
3. Can an enemy captain activate a system in the middle of the other team's turn?

Not in the turn-by-turn mode. But definitely yes in simultaneous mode.

charoco wrote:
4. Can an enemy captain trigger a mine in the middle of the other team's turn?

As for 2, this is my interpretation, but for me the answer is yes.

I will however come back with a more official answer soon for 2 and 4.

Fabien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.