Subject: Shooters suck! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Dramatic "suck" in the title for attention

I will still play more games to get a better feel of course but so far I'm really thinking these Heroes are terrible. Ranged combat is very very very rarely used.

One niche I have for them so far is to kill/lure a street monster so another Hero can avoid taking 1 exit wound. But most of the time Heroes don't care about taking 1 exit wound.

Anybody enjoyed playing the Shooter or achieved something useful with them? Especially with respect to a Ranged fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:

One niche I have for them so far is to kill/lure a street monster so another Hero can avoid taking 1 exit wound.

Just an FYI, you cannot "lure" a creature out of a space with a hero. They will never leave a hero's space.

Pg 36, ranged fight, #2.

Then, if any Monsters in the targeted Space survived, they Move up to 2 Spaces to try and Fight back against the Hero. Normal Movement rules apply, so these Monsters can’t leave a Space occupied by a Hero. In case the Monsters are unable to reach the Space occupied by the current hero, they do not move at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a few games under my belt, but have been generally unimpressed with the ranged combat after the first round or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
jsh4u2 wrote:
Just an FYI, you cannot "lure" a creature out of a space with a hero. They will never leave a hero's space.

True, that's not what I meant, my statement is a little vague. As a Sin you will populate the streets with monsters so when a Hero wants to get from one district to another he will cross the street and take a wound. Ranged combat can clear that street space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
We used the guy who gets two guaranteed hits in combat to great effect in our first game. Since most of the spawn points were in the streets he could clear the board pretty fast. We also had River so she would teleport him into position and our leader gave him an extra turn token each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Cool. Nice combo. Yeah those 2 auto hits he has are nice if you need to clear the streets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelson Johansen
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
Perhaps I am missing something but how are ranged attacks not strictly better than normal fights (except for not being able to do them in districts). Except for the differences noted on page 36, they get all the bonuses from abilities, voluntary corruption and allies in the same space and any casualties are removed before the sins makes their roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
They are one or two dice weaker than bruisers and have weak special abilities.

Boring Heroes that no one wants to pick because ranged fights are rarely useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rocco auto kills an acolyte and the Sins player can't use the acolyte ability in ranged fights. I think there's also some sins cards that can't be used in ranged fights. If you're in a space with a monster you can ignore it and snipe another monster. Agreed that they're mostly useful on the weaker bad guys but that's why you should have the shooters start the game (and also make one first hero in a round) rather than keep in reserve. Also, Leah (a leader) is ranged. As a sins player, it's really annoying to have a hero lock down a monster and then have a shooter take it out without fear of retaliation (works well on controller or hell club members).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Ranged fights are especially useful when attacking a monster in an allies space- that monster can't leave that hero's space to come to you, so you have free attacks on it.

That is a huge strength to the ranged characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocco is pretty good at ranged combat. 2 guaranteed hits. At full corruption, he's my go-to guy to take down an avatar.

But yes. He's pretty weak when he doesn't get his ranged bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:
jsh4u2 wrote:

True, that's not what I meant, my statement is a little vague. As a Sin you will populate the streets with monsters so when a Hero wants to get from one district to another he will cross the street and take a wound. Ranged combat can clear that street space.

Then lure would be perfect!

Play on, player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
United States
Byron Center
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the way shooters play... with good teamwork, they can cut through the acolytes and the abominations and make it that much easier for the bruisers and fixers to wreak havoc!

Problem is, most bruisers want to rush in a face bash monsters... this leaves the glass canons exposed.

Placement and positioning is very important... and a little corruption every now and then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Nicole to be good;

1)move into a space with an acolyte
2)Attack something far away
3) If attack successful, move away taking 1 wound and killing acolyte in your space; if attack unsuccessful the monster charges at you and you pretty much guaranteed to take a wound and blow up the acolyte in your square.

This tactic was pretty good until i walked into an area with fire and the sin player rolled 3 bursts and a fist... 4 damage from moving to a district sucked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal John
Australia
flag msg tools
We have developed a house rule to the following effect:

"A shooter may start a ranged fight against monsters in the same street space as the shooter".

It follows from this rule that if the shooter's ranged fight does not kill all the monsters in the street space, the monsters may respond with an attack as per any other shooting attack (i.e. roll attack dice resolved against the shooter's original roll).

This is not quite as powerful as it might seem, particularly late game, but it gives the shooters effectively a "first-strike" type ability. We have been finding given the game seems weighted substantially in favour of the Sin player (and we are a fairly experienced group of board gamers) that this also gives the heroes a mild but necessary buff.

The rules do not strictly preclude this house rule but it is certainly a stretch of the rulebook's drafting (the only contradiction of this approach to ranged attacks is a diagram showing possible valid shooting attacks that does not contain an attack symbol on the shooter's own space). Nonetheless, given shooters are arguably the least powerful heroes in the original alpha squad hero set, we have found this amendment increases the utility of the shooter class and the enjoyment of playing as a shooter. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
@Cal; Appreciate your idea.
Not sure I need to buff street fighting, and it kind of makes Ranged seem less ranged.

Game needs less district stacking and lures to get Monsters out onto the streets so we can use the Ranged mechanic more often / strategically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.