Subject: Surfacing while other team is surfaced in turn-by-turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie C.
United States
Saint Johns
Florida
flag msg tools
In turn-by-turn mode, the rules state that after surfacing "the enemy takes three turns in a row. If the team surfaces during those turns, any remaining turns are lost. Then the game resumes as normal."

We had a debate last night over that last sentence. Team A surfaced. Team B took two regular turns, then surfaced as their third turn.

Team A thought that they should then get three consecutive actions (i.e. the normal result of an enemy surfacing).
Team B thought that turns would just continue to alternate (i.e. the normal way the game is played).

Which one is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
S= surface
X= wait
T= normal turn

SWWWTTTT
TTTSWWWT

Team A on the top, B on the bottom. What the rules refer to is something like:

SWWWTTT
TSWWWTT

Where the two overlapping waits cancel out.

- Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Then the game resumes as normal" sounds like

SWWWTTTT
TTTSWWWT

becomes

SWWWTTTT
TTTSTTTT

Which makes surfacing first a really bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie C.
United States
Saint Johns
Florida
flag msg tools
what that would mean is that if team A surfaces, then team B could take two regular turns, then surface to reset all damage on the third without losing a turn.

That would be way too big a penalty for being the first to surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
charoco wrote:
what that would mean is that if team A surfaces, then team B could take two regular turns, then surface to reset all damage on the third without losing a turn.

That would be way too big a penalty for being the first to surface.

Agreed. Haven't played yet but had this same question from reading the rules.

I think I will actually track the free turns for each, so if Team B surfaces during Team A's surface, then Team A gets less than 3 free turns. The exact amount depending on the overlap.

Or you could simply give Team A the full 3 free turns (which could very well be the meaning of "the game resumes as normal"). This would make surfacing while the other team is surfacing a bad choice—but at least a choice you are controlling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
French box rules are the same as the english version, that seems weird to have such a penalty for being the first to surface.

Then I checked the PDF rules on the official website, and I don't know if those rules are older or newer, but they leave no room for interpretation, you just lose 3 turns when you surface :
Quote:
L’équipage adverse peut ensuite jouer trois coups d’affilée, c’est-à-dire 3 annonces de cap, mais également 3 activations de systèmes. Puis le jeu reprend normalement.

Opposite team can then play 3 times, that mean 3 moves but also 3 system activations. Then the game resumes as normal

It also add up with what Yohan Lemonnier (game designer) said in another thread : in turn by turn, you must move, then you can activate one system, that's why you can't activate more than 3 systems when the opponent is surfacing, as you move only 3 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.