10 Posts

Codenames» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clue Word Part of Card / Proper Names rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
polar fever
msg tools
mb
So last night my daughter gave the clue of "Superman" for the card "Superhero." I said this was not allowed because the word on the card is part of her clue. She argued that the rules say you can use proper names, and Superman is essentially proper name of a character. I said, "That's reasonable, but it still violates this other rule, so it's not allowed. You could have said Batman, but you can't give a hint that includes 'super' for a card that has 'super' on it, just like you can't say 'hero' for that either."

The card "Horseshoe" was out there and so I said, "Likewise, you can't say 'horse' or 'shoe' as a clue for this card." She said she understands that, but this was a proper name so it was allowed.

Later, she gave the example of a card on the table being "Shell" and she thinks she can use the proper name "Shelley" as a clue for that card.

I think these are violations of the primary rule of not giving a clue that includes the word on the card. We said we would put it out to this community and go with the majority answer given. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your daughter is correct that you can use "Superman" for a clue, as long as you all are agree head of time that you are allowing Proper Names (we do, makes the game better).

However, the rules are very clear that you can't use a word that is on the table as part of a clue. Once it's covered it up, it's fair game.

Also, if someone does give a improper clue, there is a rule for this. Their turn is over, and the other team gets to cover up one of their words, so it's a big loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree you CANNOT say Superman in this case, but if the word superhero was NOT on the board it would be a legal clue. We also always allow proper names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the rules is similar.
Just because one rule is fulfilled does not mean that the other rule can simply be disregarded.

Superman is NOT a valid clue if there is the word "super" on the board.
Shelley is NOT a valid clue if there is the word "shell" on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
Hertford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to second the other ones before me. No idea why/how would anyone reason that these would be valid clues if superhero and shell was on a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:

Also, if someone does give a improper clue, there is a rule for this. Their turn is over, and the other team gets to cover up one of their words, so it's a big loss.

Technically the other team MAY cover up one of their own words.

If it was an honest mistake, and my team is ahead, then I forgo doing so, as losing a turn is a huge punishment in itself.

If it was deliberate, or the other team is vastly ahead, then I am ok with leveling the field by covering up one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If there could be any question about it being valid or not, we encourage spymasters to get permission from each other before giving the clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
If there could be any question about it being valid or not, we encourage spymasters to get permission from each other before giving the clue.

This is the ultimate rule.

Other players and spectators can argue about whether something is valid or not, but if you checked with the other spymaster, and they said it was valid, then it is valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither Superman nor Superhero contains the other, and they are connected in meaning, so that one is unquestionably OK. Shelley for Shell is not, nor would Shelley for Shellac (unless there's a better connection than "sounds like").

e: misremembered the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
Neither Superman nor Superhero contains the other, and they are connected in meaning, so that one is unquestionably OK. Shelley for Shell is not, nor would Shelley for Shellac (unless there's a better connection than "sounds like").

The rule doesn't say it has to contain the entirety of the other word to be invalid - a significant part is enough: Superman is an invalid clue as it contains 'super'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.