Subject: Razorfiend and multiple attacks and Darkness Falls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I recently played my first mini boss, the Razorfiend. It has 2 attacks with no guidance as to which one (or more) that it does per turn. Does it use both? Does it use the melee if possible and the ranged if not?

I suspect this applies to all bosses right? How do you know which attacks that model does? And does the Razorfiend really do multiple possible hits with 3 damage apiece? Doesn't that mean 15 damage in a single attack? That's a one shot kill on anyone right?

Lastly if a character has a card that dodges an entire attack, does it dodge the entire melee attack of the Razorfiend, or only one d10? I assume the former but I wondered what other people were doing.

Regards Darkness Falls, I just read the FAQ on this forum and it sounds like the trap would be un-solveable so I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding something. The AP is going to go to 6 after at most a few hero cycles and maybe just 1 or 2. A disarm can only take place by a single hero per cycle since only he will have the appropriate symbol and if you're not playing a LOT of heroes maybe not even that. That means it's HIGHLY unlikely that it will ever be disarmed before the AP gets to 6 FOR THE FIRST TIME. This has to be a misread. If not I might just burn the card!

It might make sense if the trap becomes un-disarmarble once the AP goes to 6 for the 5th time or something (or maybe the 10th time) depending on how many heroes you have. With 1 hero maybe 10 times. With 2 maybe 8 times. With 5 heroes maybe 6 times and so on.

Granted this game empowers players in a way few games do so ALL the rules are merely suggestions to players, but it still is useful to know what people think about this trap and how it is supposed to work before trying to make modifications right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Minibosses and Bosses perform the following steps when they activate during the Darkness Cycle: Resolve all attacks in order, then roll the entire Fate Dice pool listed under Special to see what special abilities trigger. This is different from how Fate Dice work during attacks.

There's one really important term used in monster attack stats: "X Damage/Hit" versus "X Damage/Success". Per Hit means you roll the dice pool and if one or more dice succeed, you apply the listed damage once.

Per Success means you apply the damage listed for each die that rolled well enough to succeed. These abilities are super-dangerous but also less common. Notice Yardu's Melee attack is per success.

Since Razorfiend has not yet received a 2.0 statcard, it makes him a little tricky to interpret. However, Razorfiend's activation looks like:

1) Move Razorfiend 3 spaces toward target based on Proximity/MostThreat/Rage

2) Attack the nearest target that is 4 or more squares away following the Proximity/MostThreat/Rage priority, using Barbs of Darkness. Roll 2d10, needing a single 5, and deal 1 damage PLUS poison status if it hits.

3) Attack one adjacent target with Falling Mountain. Roll 5d10, needing a single 4 to hit. If it hits, deal the target 3 damage.

4) Roll 5 Fate Dice to resolve specials. Assign symbols to abilities starting from the bottom of the card and working up. Each symbol can only be used by one recipe, and these monsters prioritize the most complex/powerful ability they rolled. Sometimes they can get multiple ones. For other monsters, unless an ability says otherwise, an ability activates only once per Darkness cycle.

4a) If you rolled a Darkness symbol, all Heroes you previously attacked are knocked back 2 spaces.

4b) If you rolled Darkness + Rage, perform steps 1 and 3 again.

----

As for Darkness Falls, the 1.0 version was a real mess and basically unplayable. The rewritten 2.0 version of the trap is much more straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
Minibosses and Bosses perform the following steps when they activate during the Darkness Cycle: Resolve all attacks in order, then roll the entire Fate Dice pool listed under Special to see what special abilities trigger. This is different from how Fate Dice work during attacks.

There's one really important term used in monster attack stats: "X Damage/Hit" versus "X Damage/Success". Per Hit means you roll the dice pool and if one or more dice succeed, you apply the listed damage once.

Per Success means you apply the damage listed for each die that rolled well enough to succeed. These abilities are super-dangerous but also less common. Notice Yardu's Melee attack is per success.

Since Razorfiend has not yet received a 2.0 statcard, it makes him a little tricky to interpret. However, Razorfiend's activation looks like:

1) Move Razorfiend 3 spaces toward target based on Proximity/MostThreat/Rage

2) Attack the nearest target that is 4 or more squares away following the Proximity/MostThreat/Rage priority, using Barbs of Darkness. Roll 2d10, needing a single 5, and deal 1 damage PLUS poison status if it hits.

3) Attack one adjacent target with Falling Mountain. Roll 5d10, needing a single 4 to hit. If it hits, deal the target 3 damage.

4) Roll 5 Fate Dice to resolve specials. Assign symbols to abilities starting from the bottom of the card and working up. Each symbol can only be used by one recipe, and these monsters prioritize the most complex/powerful ability they rolled. Sometimes they can get multiple ones. For other monsters, unless an ability says otherwise, an ability activates only once per Darkness cycle.

4a) If you rolled a Darkness symbol, all Heroes you previously attacked are knocked back 2 spaces.

4b) If you rolled Darkness + Rage, perform steps 1 and 3 again.

----

As for Darkness Falls, the 1.0 version was a real mess and basically unplayable. The rewritten 2.0 version of the trap is much more straightforward.

Thanks, that is VERY helpful. Part of learning a new game is learning to read the cards. I was definitely misreading this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just re-watched the video where they encountered a darkness falls trail which I found interesting. If I remember right, they each rolled a fate dice (for both characters) every turn and if ANY of these dice rolled a symbol of a hero in play that hero could attempt to disarm. That is obviously easier than rolling 1 dice and only being able to disarm if that came up with the right symbol but it doesn't fix the problem when combined with the AP to 5 makes it un-disarmable forever.

They tried to say yeah but you can kill the minions and flee the tile to avoid the trap going off but that doesn't seem to be comforting either. That is definitely a trap I will re-roll.

On the other hand, if it forced a darkness cycle at AP 5 WHILE IT IS IN EFFECT, and then cycles down to 0 where it can be disarmed again, then it's an interesting subtle problem for the players until it is disarmed.

And what is happening with this trap anyway? Other than the mechanic, you can see what dragons breath does, and what floor spikes do and what the whirling steel spinning thing does, but what the heck does this darkness falls trap actually DO in-world? Seems like a mechanic in search of a mechanism. My way it's more of an "area" of higher darkness interest, maybe a rune somewhere which directs more of Sauron's eye attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.