Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, I'm a casual player who has the base game, three of the four big boxes and a couple small boxes. I've only played the base so far.

Has anyone played with the new world champion decks?
If so, what do you think?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Are you asking about the art, or the decks themselves?

The Runner deck is horrible to play against. Super non-interactive. And it is now no longer tournament legal.

The Corp isn't legal either, but it is at least alright to play against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

I was interested if they are fun to play.

Is the art good as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the decks. I bought them mostly for the novelty and because I like having more alt arts. I mean, who can't use more Jacksons, amirite.
If they made their draft decks this way, they would have sold more of them surely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The alt art is good and it's nice to have more Jacksons, same old things, and daily casts) as well as other cards.

There's two errors though, one of them pretty big. Queens Gambit says its 3c to play but really should be 0c. Also, Wireless Net Pavillion should be unique (have a little diamond on it).

If your just looking to get the extra cards it's a real shame it has these mistakes (in Japan these are the only extra cards there are outside the core set).

These are pretty cosmetic. I'd recommend getting a deluxe expansion instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting them for the art - if they ever show up over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I sometimes fantasize that I will have the time to spend creating and refining decks like these. It's nice to have access to a champion-level deck, but sadly I lack the skill to pilot them like a champion.

What's a little unfortunate about their timing was that both of these decks were no longer tournament legal by the time they'll be placed on store shelves. The alt art is OK for some, but the truth is some other decks have already overtaken these.

Good for casual play though, with the caveat already mentioned that Valencia's DLR is pretty non-interactive and though it wins games it's a stretch to call it "fun".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
roborob wrote:
I'm not a fan of the decks. I bought them mostly for the novelty and because I like having more alt arts. I mean, who can't use more Jacksons, amirite.
If they made their draft decks this way, they would have sold more of them surely.
Yeah I already own 3 sets of Jacksons but am getting the WC decks just for 3 more Jacksons and 2 more Foods so I can make four Corp decks at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
roborob wrote:
Yeah I already own 3 sets of Jacksons but am getting the WC decks just for 3 more Jacksons and 2 more Foods so I can make four Corp decks at the same time.

That too! More Global Foods is great!! I didn't have a chance to play them as a deck. I just broke them up and used the cards for other decks.

Who knows gotta deliver my friend his set this weekend. Maybe we'll give them a whirl for the heck of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the artwork, I'm a bit disappointed at how much they cropped off some of the cards in order to fit them full bleed. I imagine the reason for it is because the original artwork was in a landscape or square aspect ratio to fit the art window of the standard cards, and there was no "extended" art to fill the full portrait area.

Also, Valencia's green pants are weird.

Otherwise, I'm happy to have these "alternate" art cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them and think they look fantastic! Also very pleasantly surprised that they are real quality cards, not like the alternate art tournament cards. It's so nice to have extra copies of so many key cards, and they look really great (especially the ice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Since people seem happy with them I ordered mine yesterday, getting them tomorrow. For once TWO of the online stores locally have the new products before any showed up at Games Lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Hey there, I'm a casual player who has the base game, three of the four big boxes and a couple small boxes. I've only played the base so far.

Thanks!

Since the OP is asking for a review, I should point out that Willingdone has posted a video review on the main page, in case anyone missed it. He goes so far as to update them using cards from the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
roborob wrote:
eharding wrote:

Thanks!

Since the OP is asking for a review, I should point out that Willingdone has posted a video review on the main page, in case anyone missed it. He goes so far as to update them using cards from the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always had mixed feelings about "Champion" decks.

While they make sense in a CCG like The Other Game (Magic: The Gathering), because it can be an inexpensive way to get a "good deck", there is no surprise because the card list is widely known, and as someone else pointed out, the plane is only half the puzzle--the other half is the pilot.

I do like the different art. I "won" one of these at a tournament yesterday. I say "won" because I came in second and last place. Very low turn out!

I won the Corp deck, and purchased the Runner deck because I have OCD.

But since NetRunner is a LCG, I don't really get the point of pre-made decks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally feel that the ICE alt art cards are the best parts of these decks. The rest of the art is too cropped for my liking and don't look as nice as the ICE cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
gar0u wrote:

But since NetRunner is a LCG, I don't really get the point of pre-made decks...

Netrunner is also old, and costs about $850 MSRP to get fully up to date on. If, a new player can buy a single deck that is at least competitive, they can jump right in to playing, and slowly build up their card base.

Asking a new player to build a deck first, before playing, then buy just those cycles is a bit more of a request than "hey here's a playable solid deck that you can just open and play".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we have some new players, and it's an easy way for them to get a bunch of useful cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.