Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Keller
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Hey Guys! So I am finishing up designing these heroes for a new game set in Medieval Fantasy. It is a deck-builder and I just finished these Hero Cards that each player will randomly have at the start of the game. I wanted the communities input on overall design of these card layouts. Does everything look clean and not too busy? Interesting enough?

Thanks!

EDIT: Revised edition with changes:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Item 1: The cards are very dark! The brightness of the various symbols seems fine, but everything else is very muted.

Item 2: Your cards are too verbose. For example, this is the text on the top-most card:
Quote:
Ability: *The farmer may spend up to 5 once per turn to lower the sauron of the villain in play. -1 sauron per spent
* Farmer's turn only

a) I assume that whoever is playing the card is 'the farmer', so there is no need to put that on the card.
b) Normally, effects are instant, unless otherwise indicated. I suggest leaving out the asterisk and it's associated text.
c) Cut straight to the chase and let the reader know that 1 --> 1 less sauron.
d) Since your primary reason for reading the card is to know what it actually does (and not how many times you can do it) that info should be first. Any limitations are secondary info and should appear at the end of the sentence or the bottom of the card.
e) Remember to use proper punctuation!
holgerd wrote:
Ability: Decrease the sauron of the villain in play by 1 for every spent. (Max. 5 per turn.)

Item 3: Once you've shortened your card text, you can increase the font size and padding (surrounding whitespace).

Item 4: Black borders are known to easily get chipped.

Item 5: Your icons are clear and easily identified, but they are drawn in a completely different style than e.g. the golden banners.

Item 6: Besides being dark, the color palette is rather narrow: Red, silver, gold, and blue. Is there any particular reason for these choices?

Item 7: Two of the icons in the side bar are the same color. This makes it more difficult to quickly recognize them at a glance. Consider changing the color of either the shield or the weapon symbol.

Item 8: I don't want to sound condescending or like an ass-hat (and I know you specifically asked about the layout), but your art detracts from the cards. I think you'd be much better off grabbing some stock art from somewhere, possibly running it through the Prisma app or some other art filter to give it a consistent appearance. (But don't worry too much about it; Dominion was a huge success and it's art is ghastly.)

Item 9: The texts in the banners don't follow the curvature of the banners. This looks very poor with longer titles, such as 'Wandering minstrel'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Keller
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you so much for your input! A lot of great things to think about and adjust. I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What holgerd said, except this:

holgerd wrote:
Item 4: Black borders are known to easily get chipped.

Black gets chipped, light colored gets dirty and chipped. Dark colored borders look better, generally, imho.

Why a halberd for attack? Pretty much anyone can identify a sword. A halberd? Not so much...

These are all the same type of card. They could be more easily recognized as such with the same background color. The background picture directly around the portrait doesn't need to be the same, just the rest of the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Keller
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
I figured I would try something other than a sword since that always seems to be used. But it is always used for good reasons! Haha. Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob West
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If these cards are held in a player's hand, I would move the stats box up to to top left corner as that's the only part of the card you can see when it's in a fanned hand.

If the only text in the lower box is abilities, then you don't need the word "Ability" taking up space on every card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Menegon
msg tools
I agree with the other posters...kinda muted.

Play around with more contrasting color combinations. Lotsa sites can help.

Thicker line weight. Maybe experiment with colored lines to punch things up.

Use lighting to add drama.

Research poses. Comic books and animation books have lots of info.

Keep at it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Keller
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
The cards will be face up in front of the players on the table. I agree, the word "Ability" should probably not be on there. Just takes up space. Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Keller
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
I took your advice and made a few changes! Adjusted brightness, text, and some color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they look really good so far.

The illustrations are unusual but have a lot of personality. The two above -- Farmer and Archer -- are the best because of the waist-up view and the attitude in the poses and the consistency of the line-weight. By contrast, the Wizard -- lacking the detail in the line art, like in his hair and the folds of his clothes -- looks like it was done in a different style.

One thing I'd say about the art is to use the occasional strong color to distinguish one card from the next. E.g. the Archer's red shirt really pops against the muted green of her background, because it's got high chroma (that is, color saturation or purity) against a contrasting color of low chroma (so a pure red against a muddy green). Playing a little more with the color relationships on the cards will make them really pop.

I like the banner-scrolls, but they could be wider, which would allow for some more room for your typography. I'd make the center section of the banner wider in relation to the side parts, and expand the whole thing just about to the inner edge of the frame.

On the subject of typography, the card titles in those banners could certainly be stronger/heavier. If there is a bold or heavy version of that typeface, I'd use it.

All-caps is good there, but in the explanatory text I'd use upper/lower case for legibility. It's more difficult to read paragraphs of all caps text.

But again, overall looking really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Keller
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for the input! All great feedback.
Quote:
the Wizard -- lacking the detail in the line art, like in his hair and the folds of his clothes -- looks like it was done in a different style.

Yeah I have noticed that. I am probably going to redo him to fit the style of the others. He was done in a more watercolor style but never changed back.

I also hadn't thought about using the lower case text for the explanations. Good thinking!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.