Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing 2?

I'm going to play a solo game to get a feel for the rules/my gaming buddies aren't available.

I'm planning to eventually do a run with my friends and it'll probably be the first scenario. Should I practice on the first scenario (would it get ruined?) or should I do another scenario.

I've played MoM1, EH and lots of complex game so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
If you're used to complex games (esp. 1st edition) then you don't really need a practice run as the game is relatively simple and light and you'll pick it up really easily.

But if you do want a solo run first, pay scenario 1, as that is the most variable and will be ruined less than the others by knowing the story and objective. But you'll have to keep schtum about things when you play with your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Keep Schtum"

Say nothing - especially in circumstances where saying the wrong thing may get you into trouble.

Origin

This probably derives from the German word stumm meaning silent. The phrase keep schtum (variously spelled 'keep stumm', 'keep 'keep shtoom', 'keep schtum' etc.) is British and fairly recent. It has the sound of a Yiddish phrase but it is more likely that it originated in the UK criminal community. The earliest citation of it is in Frank Norman's, book Bang to rights: an account of prison life, 1958:

"I think it's much better to keep shtoom."
"You can always shtoomup if any screws are earholeing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first scenario twice, both solo with 3 investigators.
I enjoyed it both times, though I did much better the second time around. I liked the variety of 3 investigators and felt like there was a good balance between being able to explore the map while still not wanting to delay too long. In other words, I could explore, but not entirely - which helps with the replay value.

Interestingly, the areas of the map that I revealed were identical both times around. Plenty of reports indicate the map will change, so I'm looking forward to another run at the same scenario.

I also started with Rising Tide (next in terms of difficulty), again solo/3 investigators. Finished the first day before saving for later. Again felt like a good balance.

TLDR: Solo with 3 investigators also seems to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Taylor
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played solo twice now. Both times played 1st Scenario.

First time using only 2nd Edition. Picked 2 Random investigators, Did ok, was rolling badly. Lost but learned alot.

Just finished 2nd attempt. Added First edition, chose 2 investigators. (One from each)Map layout was absolutely identical, but more creatures spawned were from 1st edition. Was rolling really well, made a few different decisions, came really close (I think) but ultimately lost. In addition, the second time I had to deal with fire, which I didn't the first at all.

The rules say if playing solo, your supposed to pick 2 investigators, however, I think next time, I will try with three.

Overall, I still had alot of fun. If nothing else, losing has been prolonging my interest as I won't move on to the second scenario, until I defeat the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Burkemaster wrote:

The rules say if playing solo, your supposed to pick 2 investigators, however, I think next time, I will try with three.

When playing with more investigators the monsters are harder to kill (they have more hit points) and you can get slightly tougher monster types. But that is offset by being able to reveal the map quicker and interact with more clue tokens.

So if your primary problem is monsters, go with fewer investigators. If it is with speed go with more.

I find the game balances really well and the challenge level remains very similar with any number most of the time. Obviously that varies a little scenario by scenario. I've not played scenario 2 with 2 investigators for example and doubt I ever will because the challenges of that scenario seem better suited for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Taylor
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, never thought about how it would scale. Only makes sense that it would. I must just be bad at the game, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
As obvious as it sounds another way to improve your chances is not to pick random investigators. Obviously on a first play of a scenario you don't know who might be best suited to it but on repeat plays it will be clear that there are certain abilities or skills that are more useful in a given scenario than another. For instance, in 'Shattered Bonds' you'll really have problems if you don't have someone with a good 'Influence' statistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.