6 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Fun insane condition - ***SPOILERS*** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Had an absolute blast playing 2 player through Scenario 4 this afternoon (Wendy & Rita teamed up). Wendy went insane midway through and was dealt an insane condition that said:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You cannot speak, otherwise win like normal

Now you could apply this to just interactions with NPCs I guess, but we read this as
I had to remain mute for the rest of the session as well as no NPC interactions.

Much frustration and hilarity ensued - and we still won by a hair.
I love this game so much - I hope they debug Scenario 2 properly soon - I'm itching for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glad you had fun. My wife I think instantly disliked the game when...

...she drew an insanity card and learned that she was a traitor. We hate traitor game mechanics, and so she didn't bother to kill me - I retconned the game into a victory because she could have easily won two turns before we lost.

Okay, the insanity conditions are actually fairly thematic and work, so we don't mind them that much - what we mind is only 4 scenarios. I'm not looking forward to playing the same thing over and over with only minor variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Verbosity wrote:
Glad you had fun. My wife I think instantly disliked the game when...

...she drew an insanity card and learned that she was a traitor. We hate traitor game mechanics, and so she didn't bother to kill me - I retconned the game into a victory because she could have easily won two turns before we lost.

Our reaction to the Insanity conditions are just like yours. We basically ignore them. They don't add to the fun for us. If I get a condition that tells me I have to do such and such or I didn't win then I just play as normal and if the game tells I didn't win because of some card I arbitrarily drew then okay, whatever. We set out to accomplish a mission and the fun for us is in trying to accomplish that mission, not achieving some random, spurious personal goal thrown at us midway through the game.

At first, we informally ignored the Insanity conditions (technically I didn't win: so what? We accomplished the objective), and now we don't even bother flipping them. To us it adds nothing at all and only detracts fro the experience to pay lip service to these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:

Okay, the insanity conditions are actually fairly thematic and work, so we don't mind them that much - what we mind is only 4 scenarios. I'm not looking forward to playing the same thing over and over with only minor variations.

Have you tried it yet? I've played the first scenario 5 times and so far, they've all been different enough that they felt fresh. The overall plot is the same, but the way it plays out is so different (different room layouts, different areas to explore, different ways to play fast or slow, etc). Our group has so far gotten a good 15 hours of fun just from quest 1. 4 quests may seem like a small number, but the replayability is so good, that we're not too worried. Plus, 2 more quests coming this year. Looks like a good year for mom.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I love the insane conditions, for me they really make the game much more interesting. It goes from a standard co-op dungeon crawler to a player vs player bluffing game. Infinitely more fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to say that my last game ended with me as Michael McGlenn trading Carolyn a sedative (which she used), then drinking a bottle of whiskey, shattering it, dragging Carolyn Fern (against her will) away from her ally Ashcan Pete as they were trying to close a gate that had opened up threatening to rip us all into bits, and finally shivving her as a blood sacrifice to Shub-Niggurath.

Thematic as all get out, and was super fun once they realized I was up to something. That being said, I think there should be a tab in the options app for alternate win-conditions due to insanity that has a written/narrated story that you can get if you win that way. The 1 sentence ending on my insanity card wasn't climactic enough considering how invested everyone was in the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.