2 Posts

Shadows over Camelot» Forums » General

Subject: Painting SOC: A first-timer paints 'Shadows Over Camelot' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Axel Olsen
Sweden
flag msg tools
First of I'd like to say that I got a lot of inspiration from other post here on BGG.
Secondly I'd recommend everyone to paint their miniatures, as it was great fun and made them look much better.

The first picture is of the paints I used for the miniatures; my comments about these are that they got the job done. They also had some differing composure, some were easy to apply and spread nicely while others were very dense and didn't spread well at all (mainly my white colour).

I started of by painting everything that was supposed to be light brown, =The catapults and Pict & Saxon shields. This gave me some sense of how much colour I needed to cover a certain area, and also how precise my different brushes were (not precise at all).
This can be seen on the Picts, as they do not have much detail at all. I later started applying the paint with a toothpick, which gave a much better result (can be seen on the Knights).

Then I moved on to finish the Picts and Saxons, I used the toothpick to paint the eyes on the savages arrrh

After this 'warmup' I felt up to the challenge of painting the Knights and the Relics, this was the most time-consuming part since I wanted them to turn out well. I painted them in cycles, painting all metal directly (as armours, shields, swords). Then I started to paint the other details, like hilts and straps. This seemed like on of the smart moves I made since I didn't have to go back and re-paint anything (I needed to repaint things on the Picts and Saxons a A LOT).

Finally it was time for the relics. These pieces took some extra thought to complete, eg. the water on the Excalibur-piece.

I'll upload Sir Bedivere and Merlin as soon as they are done.
More pictures available if requested.

PS. I'm happy with my work, while it is not perfect it's still better than I had hoped for. I encourage anyone who wants to try to paint their set to do so.

PPS. I spent roughly speaking 50 hours painting these brave knights, intruding armies, lost relics, and mighty siege engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newman

Iowa
msg tools
These look great, I've been wanting to do the same for some time now. Love the detail on excalibur. I bet Merlin is looking cute af

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.