Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

1.) Can range be traced around corners if there is no door (or something else that blocks range) blocking 'sight'?

2.) When asked to flip a face-down damage (or horror) card, do you have to draw a random card or are you able to choose which card to flip? Because if I know which cards are harmless ("nothing happens, flip again") I could 'cheat' and just flip those cards?

3.) Spells like 'Bravery' discard a horror card. May this card be flipped or does it have to be unflipped?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
rashktah wrote:
Hi!

1.) Can range be traced around corners if there is no door (or something else that blocks range) blocking 'sight'?

2.) When asked to flip a face-down damage (or horror) card, do you have to draw a random card or are you able to choose which card to flip? Because if I know which cards are harmless ("nothing happens, flip again") I could 'cheat' and just flip those cards?

3.) Spells like 'Bravery' discard a horror card. May this card be flipped or does it have to be unflipped?

Thanks for any help!

1. Yes, range can be traced around corners. Only doors, secret passageways and walls block range.

2. Face-down damage/horror cards are chosen at random, face-up cards you can choose between.

3. Same rule here. Discard a face up of choice or a random face-down when you discard a horror card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I am also new to this game (as are most people I presume) but I think I have the answers to your questions.

1) Yes, range can be traced around corners

2) You have to flip a random card (shuffle up your facedown cards and pick one randomly)

3) Since the spell does not specify it has to be a facedown card, you can (and probably should!) discard a face-up card of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Yes, range can be traced around corners. Only doors, secret passageways and walls block range.

Ok, this was how I played it as well, but then I got thinking, you cannot trace range through a wall, so would a corner be through a wall? You cannot trace a direct line from the monster figure to the character figure without going through the wall.

Though, I also know this isn't a tactics game. Does the wall rule only apply as if the example is that the spaces are parallel along the wall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can trace round corners. I think there would be line of sight rules if walls blocked range. It reads too much into the rules to start implying LoS, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not that the 2e rules state this anywhere, but we house rule LoS as being valid if you can trace a line from a corner of the starting space to a corner of the ending space without the line passing though an obstacle (such as a door or wall). This was how LoS worked in 1e so we just decided to continue to use that method for 2e (which is why some of the 1e map tiles have dots on the corners of the spaces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.