Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Champion
United States
California
flag msg tools
Never gonna be 40
badge
With stops in Anaheim, Azusa, and Cucamonga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of this at my local game store a couple of weeks ago, and I've really enjoyed it so far. It's a really nice mix of strategy and tactics, and I really enjoy that everyone creates a unique tree by the end of the game. The aesthetics are wonderful.

In one of our games, we decided to try drafting the branch cards and playing simultaneously. It ended up cutting the play time nearly in half, and was a really interesting take on the game. The rule we used was, during the growing phase, everyone would start with 3 branches, choose one to grow, and pass the other two left. Everyone would grow simultaneously, and then take the two cards passed with one more card from the deck and repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting variation.
I played my first game yesterday. The others playing had already played several times. They also proposed a local rule based on drafting. But in that case it was drafting the goal cards.

Deal four kodama to each player. Player chooses one, then passes the remainder to the next player who did the same with the remainder. And so on until all four players had a full set. The idea was to smooth out the possibility that one player could get all powerful cards and another all weak cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Champion
United States
California
flag msg tools
Never gonna be 40
badge
With stops in Anaheim, Azusa, and Cucamonga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried drafting the kodama cards yet, but that would be a neat thing to try for my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. I came here to post up the same idea. Played this several times with the normal rules, and last night, played a 4 player game with drafting the branch cards in exactly the same fashion as 7 Wonders or Sushi Go:

1. At the start of the season, everyone picks 1 branch card from a hand of 5 cards, adds the branch card to their own tree, and passes the remaining cards to the player on the left.
2. Keep doing this until 4 branch cards are added to everyone's trees. The last branch card in hand is discarded.
3. Score the season card. Repeat step 1 for the next season.
4. In Summer, pass the cards to the player on the right instead.

Worked very well, and cut the play-time by at least half. Later, I did think of drafting using '3 cards, and draw 1 card' to keep the game closer to the base rules. But I think the 7 Wonders draft is easy enough, and promotes competition for good cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.