Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played tutorial mission, where we have lost miserably after 3rd round. OK, we thought - it means that there is a reason to play this game.

First things first. App vs Boardgame.
I was excited, that finally I will not have to spend endless hours reading five million cards in order to understand how the mechanics can drive me crazy.
It was also important, that the app is putting pressure, creates tense, forcing you to make a quick - not necessarily optimal decision. THAT'S BOARDGAMING! Emotions, involvement, excitement and stress. This is what this is all about. Not about understanding and knowing 5 decks of cards. Not remembering, when specific card can pop up and be prepared for it. This is more close to a real decision that we are taking in life - having only part of the information and making swift reactions to what we are challenged with. We absolutely loved it!
Various levels of game available in the game makes it a totally different experience. You will focus, you will be distracted, nervous. You will also argue (yes, you can do all of that within 5 seconds or less). I have never had such an experience with the boardgame before.

Second thing - missing rulebook.
Absolutely amazing. Everything is in app. Just two clicks away. You are getting what you need online, without carrying newspaper with you - looking for a specific paragraph. Naturally, not every boardgame can "afford" to have this kind of solution - however in case of Xcom - it's just perfect.

Third - only with 4 players?
Well, if you want to play on hard level - it's simply not possible. Number of decision you have to make in such a short period of time is impossible to manage with two. It does not mean that with two or three players you will not enjoy it. It's simply different experience. It's not worse or better - it's different. You have to try it and experience it yourself.

Gameplay.
You start slowly. you have a lot of everything. Time, money, low pressure, everyone is happy. After first round you understand that it's not something that you will sit and enjoy. You will have emotions, you will struggle and definitely you will... well... hate the dice. They only give you 30% success each. If you want to roll it more than three times in a row - you will suffer (most probably - yes, we did). Then you discover, that the guy who sits there and is called scientist - well, he is an important man. Not the guy with the money (yes, he is important as well) not the guy with the app (well, he is also important). OK everyone is important however without scientist - you are lost. And i mean it.

Session which I am describing here - we have played two times in a row. Once we lost - once we won - barely. We took a risk - we went all in for the final mission. Yes, we were lucky with rolls (at least this time) - and yes, we were absolutely happy and excited when the final roll showed us - that we made it.
We were still checking if the outcome of the final mission was "you won the game" or if we have to still do some side mission or fly to Cydonia with the Avenger

All in all - we still clicked on the app - that the mission is accomplished to see the final image - you have won the game.

Was it worth it - definitely.
Will we play again - I am more than sure.
Is the app horrible thing in boardgaming - absolutely not.
Does the app requires improvements - it was good for us - no complains.
What is missing - as usual in case of FFG games - more cards please (well, expansion is coming).
Would it work with the other theme? - for sure - however as we have spent endless hours playing Ufo - enemy unknown - Xcom is like a trip to the childhood. It's like xmass.
Length of play - it's acceptable. We had the feeling if it is half an hour longer - that would be too much (it took us below 2h a session)

Closing sentence: We really enjoyed it. The theme makes a great advantage here (at least for us), app works really well, we want more more options.

Ps. Floaters with a single roll per activation are really annoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Heffelfinger
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Re: 2 player game - men vs app
I enjoyed reading this especially after looking through all the people completely shitting on the game for having an app. So many people simply declare it "not a board game" simply because it has an electronic component. Just elitist bullshit all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything you said! My gaming group loves this game. After some cut-throat PVP, it's a nice change of pace to get our asses kicked when working together- and because this game is difficult to beat, how much more sweet is victory when we do beat the game.

My one and only complaint is with the solo-play. Trying to manage 4 characters with the limited time on the app, it's near impossible to play anything beyond easy mode when playing solo simply due to the clock. For that reason, I don't tend to play solo. I've played multiple times with 2 players, and 3 players. 3 players is definitely the sweet spot in my opinion. 4 players might be fun, but it would give 1 player less to do than the other 3 I think. So, it's good to give one player the 2 lesser involved characters.

Otherwise, this game is fantastic, and I already have the expansion pre-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paxilon23 wrote:
"not a board game" simply because it has an electronic component. Just elitist bullshit all over the place.

agree Matt. We all have our boundaries one can cross it easier - the other one not at all But boardgames have so much variety - and that's the most beautiful thing in it.

Ravepig wrote:
I already have the expansion pre-ordered!

this game is so easy to expand. And the best thing is that if some changes are needed - you don't need another 500 cards to drive new mechanics - just a small update in the app love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get more time to do each step in a 2P game than 4P game actually, so don't bet on it being easier with 4. It does give you a tiny more bit amount of downtime between actions to plan on using your Assets cards though.

We've been winning Hard mode with 2P so it's totally doable. Been doing alright myself on solo Normal.

You'll learn more about the game as you play and will agonize a lot less on decisions (for instance, the Science role gets really easier to play once you've got some solid experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a big jump in difficulty between 2-player and solo play - in 2-player, both players get some downtime while the others are making decisions; solo, you need to do everything and squeeze in Timed Phase Techs and Assets where you can steal a few seconds...

I've still beaten the game playing solo on the hardest difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
There's a big jump in difficulty between 2-player and solo play - in 2-player, both players get some downtime while the others are making decisions; solo, you need to do everything and squeeze in Timed Phase Techs and Assets where you can steal a few seconds...

You must think a heck of a lot faster than I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:

I find that table setup and placing your techs properly allows you to save precious seconds that you can use to think instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logistic is very important here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravepig wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

You must think a heck of a lot faster than I do!

It's partly a matter of practice/familiarity, and partly a matter of having a good plan in place in advance. Lay out timed-phase cards where they're handy, take advantage of the oddly long time limit on Emergency Funding, and do what you can between finishing a step's task and pressing "Done" as the time limit gets tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.