17 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How do you finesse your monster minis/stands/tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skulk Ing
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to put the largest mini in the largest stand; after much effort, that worked for a short while, then it fell out. I couldn't get the snake-like creature in at all even though I was pushing directly on the other side of plastic "limb" from the holding peg.

Trying another tack, I carefully used a finger nail to scrape off the punched plastic stub from the reverse side of the figure mounting hole so I could try the token. Then the cardboard token only went in half way before I felt it was too tight to go on and took it out. It had a bent up corner of the print layer, exposing white, although I smoothed it down into a respectable look – this time. Even if I hadn't bent it, the cardboard/plastic fit seems unnecessarily tight.

I feel completely flummoxed that this works as badly as it does on a second edition. I'm beginning to think I will use the tokens on the board and just bring out the unmounted minis to hold up when the first come out. However, if I can, I want to make this work as intended.

What's your best advice for a minis/MoM newbie?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a flat screwdriver in the opening of the hole turning it back and forth to gently widen the gap. This makes putting the tokens in a little easier. If you have a protruding peg from your mini then you could use a heated screwdriver or penknife to flatten it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimwade Arbigul
msg tools
I got them started by hand then used the "proof of purchase" token to drive the monster tokens all the way home so they are aligned properly. Not sure they are ever coming out though ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a flat screwdriver in the opening of the hole turning it back and forth to gently widen the gap. This makes putting the tokens in a little easier. If you have a protruding peg from your mini then you could use a heated screwdriver or penknife to flatten it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Craft knife, trim the peg, then paint the figures and superglue to the base.

Here's my figures so far
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620059/my-painted-mansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I trimmed a little bit off the pegs with a nail filer so the tip won't connect with the monster tokens and scrape them, and then I put super glue on the bottom of every potion of the mini that touched the stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis fit terribly on the bases, it is not a good sysyem sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derric Pennington
msg tools
I am having the same issue. We shouldn't be expected to "fix" a $100 game. What is FFG's response? I live 5 min from their headquarters. I plan to bring my minis and bases in for an in- person consultation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trimmed the end of the pegs with nail clippers (when needed), and superglued the figures to the bases.

This is the same thing I did with first edition, so it was par for the course as far as my expectations. Took me about 3 hours from opening the box to having all figures glued, monster tokens inserted, cards sleeved, and everything organized and stored away, ready to play... not bad considering. Obviously if I was a painter this would be a different story, but I don't go that far with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just said screw it and made all new bases.

I keep the cardboard character cards on hand for reference, but the iPad pretty much takes care of all the info so the card is kinda superfluous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lifesrichpagent wrote:
I am having the same issue. We shouldn't be expected to "fix" a $100 game. What is FFG's response? I live 5 min from their headquarters. I plan to bring my minis and bases in for an in- person consultation.

I've been playing with miniatures based games long enough to know that figures almost never fit in their bases or arrive without bended bits. Between the time the plastic is moulded that the journey they take through varying temperatures and humidities from the factory, they are going to be warped in some way. That is just how plastics work, no matter what game you buy.

It only takes a few minutes to fix them up though:

(1) use a hobby knife to lightly shave off bits of the pegs or unwanted mould lines. This will help them slide into the bases easier and give them a smoother appearance

(2) dip the figs in some hot water for 5-10 seconds. Now you should be able to bend the plastic easily into the shape you want (or the shape that best fits the base). I do this to spread the wings of the Star Spawn a bit more. Then dip them into ice-cold water so that the plastic re-hardens that way.

(3) use a bit of model glue if the pegs are too loose for the base.

It took me about 10 minutes total to adjust all of the figures in this way and secure them to their bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Super glue. Super glue. Why? Super glue. Seriously... super glue.

(I'm saying the miniatures are crap. Thus super glue.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
BreadRising wrote:

I've been playing with miniatures based games long enough to know that figures almost never fit in their bases or arrive without bended bits. Between the time the plastic is moulded that the journey they take through varying temperatures and humidities from the factory, they are going to be warped in some way. That is just how plastics work, no matter what game you buy.

Yet I never had problems with 1e. Was I just lucky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesburglar wrote:
Yet I never had problems with 1e. Was I just lucky?

Some posts said the 1e mini's and bases fit together better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrap the bases and remount the minis on clear acrylic. You don't need the token slots with the second edition. There is no hidden information on the underside of the tokens, unlike the first edition monster tokens they are all identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
Scrap the bases and remount the minis on clear acrylic. You don't need the token slots with the second edition. There is no hidden information on the underside of the tokens, unlike the first edition monster tokens they are all identical.

Couldn't agree more. The monster tokens are useless. A reference sheet with the monster stats would have been sufficient and we wouldn't need all that cardboard and those awful stands. I understand why they needed them for first edition, but it is pointless to have the tokens attached to the monster bases in second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.