Subject: Why SW Rebellion feels like Risk SW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hubert AMG
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a quiet Sunday morning. Nothing was indicating such a struggle for the galaxy and all the leaders on both sides.
Rebels had a simple idea. Run quickly through the objectives and complete them as quickly as possible. After 3rd round, one system has already vanished as the death star unleashed its power. Imperials though were so proud of their overwhelming power - they moved slowly through the galaxy. Rebel forces were fighting bravely, however every single battle was a struggle and a challenge. It was more like a Bloodrage rather than Star Wars However at the end of the day - Rebels managed to fulfill their winning conditions.

Gameplay - very enjoyable. Very simple. There is a great deal of storytelling in the game - but it's definitely not an RPG. You sit in front of your friend who will be hunting you down for another hour or two. All this to find a small, single system - where you have hidden few x-wings and y-wings which will definitely not defend your rebellion from the force of the empire. But you know what - you will still fight with them, you will still do your small rebellion, you will still try to influence other systems to join you and to help you with your struggle against the empire. And you know what - you will enjoy it - as long as you enjoy and like Star Wars.

I said that the game is simplistic. And it's good. It looks much better than Risk, to which I have compared it at the beginning. It also plays slower than Risk - but it's not a bad thing - as here - all the chrome that this game is loaded with - gives you the thrill - that Risk SW is simply missing.

Closing comments: game does not have to be super complex, taking more than 4 hours - to make it "epic game". It does not have to have rulebook written with 5.4.3.6.1 sub paragraphs to make it clear and understandable. It does not need to involve 8 players.
Game is good - when you enjoy it and when you find people that you can enjoy the game with. And that's what I have found with SW Rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hubert,

While I only have a few games under my belt, I strongly concur with your assertion, often held by many that "long equals epic" and that's just not the case. I've found, when playing TI3 (while an enjoyable time with friends), "long equals long" ~ there's nothing particularly "epic" about the gameplay. Anyway...glad to see there are like minded individuals in the galaxy.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i have to agree with your long not equal to epic argument. my brother in law and i have very epic, very memorable games of Command and Colors that fall within 2 hours easily.

I keep trying to convince him this game is easy, rules are simple, and the game play is short and epic. I it least have him now thinking of it, so that's something. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game more sophisticated and satisfying than Risk. Most Risk variants are mindless blobs of units chucking D6s at one another for supremacy. Rebellion units not only have different values attached to them but some units can only accept certain sources of damage.

And while it's easy for the Empire to amass wrecking balls of units to swing across the galaxy, the Rebels won't have that luxury. Rebel winning is best done with leaders on missions... a mechanic unknown to any variant of Risk I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually kind of had issue accepting this game because it didn't feel like it gave me a whole lot more than Risk: Star Wars, but at nearly 5 times the game length. It feels a bit bloated to me. Sure that bloat offers up story telling and tons of chrome, but the back and forth exchange was so much more drawn out. Two games of Risk: Star Wars in 90 minutes feels about as satisfying as my 4 hour game of Rebellion did and both have the rather anti-climactic ending of, oh okay, now I blow this thing up and win. It's basically a cat and mouse game... but a really, really drawn out one.

I did really like it, like I still would love to get my hands on it and play it more, I just wish the experience was much tighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kaut
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
I actually kind of had issue accepting this game because it didn't feel like it gave me a whole lot more than Risk: Star Wars, but at nearly 5 times the game length. It feels a bit bloated to me. Sure that bloat offers up story telling and tons of chrome, but the back and forth exchange was so much more drawn out. Two games of Risk: Star Wars in 90 minutes feels about as satisfying as my 4 hour game of Rebellion did and both have the rather anti-climactic ending of, oh okay, now I blow this thing up and win. It's basically a cat and mouse game... but a really, really drawn out one.

I did really like it, like I still would love to get my hands on it and play it more, I just wish the experience was much tighter.

But, there is nothing more Star Wars than winning by blowing something up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
Sartavos wrote:
TyDeL wrote:

But, there is nothing more Star Wars than winning by blowing something up...

EP4: Blowing something up: win!
EP5: No blowing up: lose...
EP6: Blowing something up: win!

EP1: Blowing something up: win!
EP2: Semi-win
EP3: Semi-win

EP7: Blowing something up: win!

The key to winning is by blowing something up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not right. Ep 5 the empire blew up the shield generator and won.

They also did an encore by... uh... blowing off luke's hand? Then blowing Luke's mind.

Plenty of destruction in Ep 5. It's just the Empire doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.