Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduced two new players to "Winter Tales" along with a friend who has played before. What a great game!

[Epilogue set on 5th slot, allowing for 4 Memories]

Scarecrow languishes in prison where Snow White's minions have been torturing him to learn the secret of the Dweller or Dwellers Below who are prophesied to dictate the destiny of Winter Town.

[This is the Great Artifact of Winter located at the Fair of Wonders]

Pinocchio works in the Puppet Theatre but is desperate to rescue Scarecrow.

[This is "The Love That Melts the Snow" Quest, fixed on Pinocchio]

The Tin Man rescues Alice from the asylum and sets in play a quest to Bring Alice Home. Alice is deranged and animalistic after her tortures at the hands of the Mad Hatter.

[A new Spring Quest, "The Safe House", is placed on Dorothy's Mansion]

Scarecrow languishes in prison because he won't reveal to Queen Snow White the secret of That Which Dwells Below. Taking the prophecy to refer to dwarfs, the Queen has all the dwarfs tortured for more information then executed, leaving only Cranky disguised as a gnome in the kitchens at the Nightmare Factory.

CHAPTER 1

On a tip off, the Queen heads to the Fair of Wonders and her rat minions wreck the place in their search for the Dweller Below. They discover a Poison Tree with a single apple.

[Snow White starts the "Great Artifact of Winter" Quest]

Dorothy tries to intervene but en route to the Fair she is arrested by Candlewick's secret police.

[I could have enabled Dorothy to win this battle, but my Objective is "The Rescue" to rescue an incapacitated character, so I sacrificed her. Unfortunately, one of the Winter players had "The Reward" Objective to incapacitate an enemy and he places this as a Winter Memory on space 4]

Alice flees the asylum but is captured by the Queen. The two fight and Snow White is surprised at Alice's brute strength. The Queen loses her Poisoned Apple which crumbles to dust in Alice's hands.

[This is a tied Quest, so the Winter player places a Neutral Memory on space 1]

Cranky escapes from the factory and fights an epic battle with the Mad Hatter. News of his escape gets out and the Fox and Cat close down the Puppet Theatre, declaring a curfew and a bounty on the Last Dwarf Alive - a double ration of food, including meat!

[Fighting the Hatter means I don't have enough cards to get to Dorothy's position. The Winter player puts the "Winter Propaganda" Quest on Cranky's location]

Pinocchio escapes from the theatre and finds his old friend Scarecrow in his prison cell. They share memories of happier times and Dorothy's kindness. Scarecrow recalls the stories they used to share and the command that will free him from captivity - Open, Sesame!

[This is a Quest for Spring, which we place to remove the Winter Objective on slot 4]

The Wolf tires of guarding old Dorothy and goes to intercept Cranky and claim the reward of a double meat ration. He unstitches his belly and places the cowering dwarf inside.

[I didn't have enough cards to compete for the "Winter Propaganda" Quest, so this is another Winter Memory, in slot 3 - no more Objectives can be placed because the only memory slot left is slot 2, which has no Objective symbol]

CHAPTER 2

The Tin Man finds Alice in the Fair of Wonders but can't persuade her to trust him. Gathering apple seeds, he plants them on his way to Dorothy's Mansion and young apple tree saplings spring up along the route.

[The other Spring player starts the "Safe House" Quest]

Snow White and Candlewick follow the Tin Man back to the mansion and discover the truth - that Scarecrow made Alice his heir and rightful Queen; that Cranky arranged for the catatonic Alice to be smuggled out of the asylum and her place taken by the Beast (of Beauty and the Beast) - hence her animalistic behaviour. The real Alice, in an trance-like sleep, rests inside the mansion. She is the one who dwells below and whose rising will bring the Winter regime to an end.

Cranky bursts out of the Wolf's belly and races to the mansion, freeing Dorothy and confronting Snow White before she can kill the sleeping Alice.

[Spring wins the Quest, creating the final memory and triggering the Epilogue. There are 2 Spring memories, 1 Winter memory and 1 Neutral memory]

Alice awakens and, surrounded and exposed, Snow White has no choice but to bend the knee to the new Queen Alice. Fireworks explode and the people of Winter Town celebrate. However, Snow White has sent Candlewick to inspect the apple trees that the Tin Man planted. They have borne fruit.

The Coronation Feast serves the new queen a baked apple pie. When, poisoned, the new queen slips into a death-like sleep, Snow White has the Queen Alice's body placed in a glass casket and announces herself to be Regent until such time as Queen Alice can be revived.

[Victory for the Winter faction, 15 points to 14]

I've yet to play a game that takes more than 2 chapters - maybe I'll try putting the Epilogue right at the far right of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
That good story . I like it. Specually poisoned pie in epilogue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
That was really well told!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've added rules commentary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.