Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother-in-law and his wife have been extra supportive of my wife and I during some tough times the last few months, and I want to get him a gift as a thank you. Since he's the main player in my gaming group, I thought a game that he and his wife would enjoy would be a goo idea! He mentioned to me that he really loves Power Grid but hasn't come it buy it yet. But, I've also noticed that there is a Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America that can also be a two player game. Which one should I buy? The deluxe is twice the price, but if you get twice the value (without changing how the game is played), then it is worth it to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I would break it down:

Buy regular Power Grid if you think he's going to want to buy expansion maps. It doesn't come with a 2p option out of the box, but you can buy The Robots Expansion for him while you're at it.

Power Grid Deluxe is going to have better components, updated rules, and a 2p option, but unfortunately it isn't really that compatible with expansion maps. It does come with 2 maps, however, so if he has a pretty decently-sized collection, that may be all he needs. I would also say the 2p option is decent, but not great. This is a game that benefits with more players, in my opinion.

If you want a game that he and his wife can play together, you may want to explore more 2p-friendly options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he says he likes Power Grid, then I'd take him at his word and get Power Grid, not Power Grid Deluxe. Many prefer PG, whether due to preferring its art style or due to the many expansions available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
My brother-in-law and his wife have been extra supportive of my wife and I during some tough times the last few months, and I want to get him a gift as a thank you. Since he's the main player in my gaming group, I thought a game that he and his wife would enjoy would be a goo idea! He mentioned to me that he really loves Power Grid but hasn't come it buy it yet. But, I've also noticed that there is a Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America that can also be a two player game. Which one should I buy? The deluxe is twice the price, but if you get twice the value (without changing how the game is played), then it is worth it to me!

You said "he" really loves Power Grid. But what about his wife? If she likes it too then get "them" the Deluxe, they will get more enjoyment out of it since the 2-player Trust game is good and worthwhile. Otherwise get "him" just Power Grid. However, either way you can't lose and I'm sure he will enjoy either one.

Hopefully for Deluxe the publishers will also come out with compatible expansions soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I would hate to get the "wrong" game (even though he would never admit if I did), so I think I'm just going to ruin the surprise and ask him which one he wants and buy that one! Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TWO PLAYER...

The two player variant in Delux should work with any power grid game, I think. There is a third color that drafts 10 cities at the beginning and then you add a station on the middle cost for the next maybe 6 cities built... limits the other player's movement for a bit but nothing major ecspecially for a two player game. This color always takes the role of second player and always picks the highest value power plant and fills up on everything it needs.

Check out the PDF version of the rules if you want to try it. I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

That said...

Art work is different. Cleaner, but not original dirty messy intent of first versions.

Resource cubes are artistic and better, but if you don't care...

Gameplay is slightly altered, maybe? for the better.

Classic PowerGrid is still an amazing game. Delux PG is still an amazing game... With no expansions.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me "Have you checked out Power Grid Deluxe?"

Brother-in-law "Ya. It doesn't seem worth it to me."

Problem solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.