$20.00
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi I am a backer for both kickstarte and I only received the 40 minitures.

I am from Singapore and I don't think I ever going to receive the base game . Therefore I decide to get it from amazon.

Before I going to pay for it. I need some answer to my question below.

Has anyone play solo and is it a good solo game ?

Does the 40 minitures pack represent all the character in the base game ? Does it represent any boss in the base game ?

THank you

Sad backer
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi scream81,

I just picked up a set of the minis and it came with the game. I went ahead and broke open the game for you to see if I could answer this question. I'm not familiar with the Kickstarter campaign, but I can tell you what I found inside the box.

31 of the Sacred 40 are found in the game, and they are the playable characters. None of the minis correspond to any of the bosses or henchmen.

The 9 minis that don't match up to the playable characters are as follows:

Beowulf
Hatter
Horseman
King Arthur
Little Mermaid
Sherlock Holmes
The Monkey King
Tinkerbell
Zorro

Beowulf and King Arthur are mentioned as possible targets for Grendel's quest card (along with Morgan La Fey and Robin Hood), but I don't see how you could kill them since they aren't included anywhere in the game other than the minis.

Similary, Hook's quest card lists possible targets of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, or Wendy Darling. Only Peter Pan in included in the game, although there is the Tinkerbell mini. No idea how Wendy Darling got thrown in there.

I couldn't find any mention at all of the remaining mini characters. In case you're wondering, the Sea Witch's quest is to kill Snow White. So Little Mermaid didn't even get a mention there.

Maybe the extra figures and the mentioned characters are from planned expansions, and some of them made it into the cards on the base deck. Maybe there's no rhyme or reason to any of it. The backs of all 31 character mats are blank templates to create your own characters, so that may be a way that you could potentially get the minis and/or characters into the game. I didn't read the rulebook throught to see if there was a mention of why they were made that way.

Forget Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness. Trying to make sense out of this game is the closest I have come in boardgaming to experiencing real Lovecraftian horror. My mind slips away to protect me from what my eyes are seeing, which surely never belonged in this world. I blame you, scream81. You helped this shapeless thing be born, and you tricked me into opening the box. I just wanted those gorgeous Greenbrier Games minis!

Can't speak to a solo playthrough, or any playthrough, as this is low on my priority to get to table. Hopefully someone else can chime in to help you out with that. If I do take it for a solo spin, I'll post to this thread for you. My initial suspicion is that you'll only get burned again if you buy another copy, even if it one does arrive.

Best of luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did give this a solo try. When I played it. I spent maybe 2/3 hours trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing and how things worked. Once I thought I figured it out, it felt way too easy, then I realized I was doing things incorrectly. My main mistake was adding in my strength value to my attack value. This is NOT how it works. I should have been attacking minions for 5 damage, yet I was attacking for 25 damage. Another rule I overlooked was your total traits can not exceed your maximum health. So, I was attacking for 25 each swing, while having 25 life. Bosses were dying in a single hit, and I wasn't taking damage. Obviously, this was not how it should be done.

I then played it again with a friend, and we still had issues figuring out rules and combat. But we figured it out after watching year old videos of demo games, and checking out the various rulebook revisions.

The rulebook that comes with the game is an old version. A new version is in the works. The draft for the newer rules can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19uhyonSI8uDKKjhq8PJ-dMU3...

and there is also a FAQ located here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h5XvAfGzb_b6dYhjQC5PZeTy...

There is definitely a lot of stuff going on in the game, and there isn't a lot of talk on line to fine out what you're supposed to do.

I still love the theme and will be playing it again. I do believe that it will take some more play thrus to figure out all the rules. I haven't played since I discovered that FAQ link, but I did browse it. It answered a lot of the little questions I had.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gothamknight1047 wrote:
Hi scream81,

I just picked up a set of the minis and it came with the game. I went ahead and broke open the game for you to see if I could answer this question. I'm not familiar with the Kickstarter campaign, but I can tell you what I found inside the box.

31 of the Sacred 40 are found in the game, and they are the playable characters. None of the minis correspond to any of the bosses or henchmen.

The 9 minis that don't match up to the playable characters are as follows:

Beowulf
Hatter
Horseman
King Arthur
Little Mermaid
Sherlock Holmes
The Monkey King
Tinkerbell
Zorro

Beowulf and King Arthur are mentioned as possible targets for Grendel's quest card (along with Morgan La Fey and Robin Hood), but I don't see how you could kill them since they aren't included anywhere in the game other than the minis.

Similary, Hook's quest card lists possible targets of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, or Wendy Darling. Only Peter Pan in included in the game, although there is the Tinkerbell mini. No idea how Wendy Darling got thrown in there.

I couldn't find any mention at all of the remaining mini characters. In case you're wondering, the Sea Witch's quest is to kill Snow White. So Little Mermaid didn't even get a mention there.

Maybe the extra figures and the mentioned characters are from planned expansions, and some of them made it into the cards on the base deck. Maybe there's no rhyme or reason to any of it. The backs of all 31 character mats are blank templates to create your own characters, so that may be a way that you could potentially get the minis and/or characters into the game. I didn't read the rulebook throught to see if there was a mention of why they were made that way.

Forget Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness. Trying to make sense out of this game is the closest I have come in boardgaming to experiencing real Lovecraftian horror. My mind slips away to protect me from what my eyes are seeing, which surely never belonged in this world. I blame you, scream81. You helped this shapeless thing be born, and you tricked me into opening the box. I just wanted those gorgeous Greenbrier Games minis!

Can't speak to a solo playthrough, or any playthrough, as this is low on my priority to get to table. Hopefully someone else can chime in to help you out with that. If I do take it for a solo spin, I'll post to this thread for you. My initial suspicion is that you'll only get burned again if you buy another copy, even if it one does arrive.

Best of luck!


Hi thanks for the answer,

how many playable character is in the base game?

Yeah the kickstarter just have an update recently. Seem like the creator is still trying to send out the shipment slowly.

But I think for "rest of the world" shipment will be the last to handle.

I think I just wait for it. Maybe by that time , a good rule book will be out too. The Minitures is really beautiful .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fireatwill247 wrote:
I did give this a solo try. When I played it. I spent maybe 2/3 hours trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing and how things worked. Once I thought I figured it out, it felt way too easy, then I realized I was doing things incorrectly. My main mistake was adding in my strength value to my attack value. This is NOT how it works. I should have been attacking minions for 5 damage, yet I was attacking for 25 damage. Another rule I overlooked was your total traits can not exceed your maximum health. So, I was attacking for 25 each swing, while having 25 life. Bosses were dying in a single hit, and I wasn't taking damage. Obviously, this was not how it should be done.

I then played it again with a friend, and we still had issues figuring out rules and combat. But we figured it out after watching year old videos of demo games, and checking out the various rulebook revisions.

The rulebook that comes with the game is an old version. A new version is in the works. The draft for the newer rules can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19uhyonSI8uDKKjhq8PJ-dMU3...

and there is also a FAQ located here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h5XvAfGzb_b6dYhjQC5PZeTy...

There is definitely a lot of stuff going on in the game, and there isn't a lot of talk on line to fine out what you're supposed to do.

I still love the theme and will be playing it again. I do believe that it will take some more play thrus to figure out all the rules. I haven't played since I discovered that FAQ link, but I did browse it. It answered a lot of the little questions I had.


Yes I love the theme too. I have also watch Once upon a time drama. Quite a nice show.

I guess I hope the box will land on my door one day. =D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
scream81 wrote:


how many playable character is in the base game?



There are only 31 playable characters in the base game, and they are 31 of the "sacred 40 minis" so yes there is a mini for every playable character.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
scream81 wrote:


how many playable character is in the base game?



There are only 31 playable characters in the base game, and they are 31 of the "sacred 40 minis" so yes there is a mini for every playable character.


Cool, thanks !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.