$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
When I started this hobby 2 years ago, I had a headache trying to research and find all the top games and ones I am interested in.

For newbies the sheer volume of games is print is overwhelming. Adding to this people often talk about games out of print too.

Does anyone have an approximation of the number of board games in print now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, if I do a BGG search for a game publication range ending in 2016, I get 5018 results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deciding if a game is "in print" is notoriously difficult due to some having small amounts of stock available, between print runs or other shenanigans. Good luck narrowing the search down. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amazon has 45,506 board games currently listed for sale, although some of those listed may be out of stock and of course a good number of these are through vendors selling copies of new or used games that are out of print.

Not sure why the exact number really matters. 99% or more of what comes out each year are not going to be games that you personally want to own. Hopefully, with the help of BGG, you'll eventually discover that 1% that you'll love, but don't get a headache worrying that you might be missing out on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Deciding if a game is "in print" is notoriously difficult due to some having small amounts of stock available, between print runs or other shenanigans. Good luck narrowing the search down. meeple

I even had to look up what the term supposedly refers to. Wikipedia has this to say: "An item goes out of print when a publisher does not reprint, re-press, or reissue after all copies have been sold to retailers."

Hence, in order to assess the number of games "in print", you'd need to know what titles each publisher has sitting in stock in their warehouse(s). You'd also need to decide if/when you'd include planned (re-)print runs. So the answer to OP's question seems to be: It depends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume the question is more along the lines of what games are available at retail for msrp or lower prices.

Very hard to answer, especially when you also consider all the brick and mortars that don't really sell online.

To the OP, the next query always seems to be what games will get reprints when they sell out, to which there is no guaranteed way of knowing. Though generally games that sell well will get a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
When I was new to this hobby, I went to my first FLGS and didn't know 99% of the titles. I had to do a lot of research, talk to gamers at conventions and read all the "best' lists online.

Then, I knew there were too many games to research so I chose the most popular ones like Catan, TTR, etc. Turns out I don't like Catan but I bought it blind anyway based on the ratings and suggestions.

If I knew there were 80,000 in print titles and they go in and out of print frequently, I would have maybe used a different approach to buying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
When I was new to this hobby, I went to my first FLGS and didn't know 99% of the titles. I had to do a lot of research, talk to gamers at conventions and read all the "best' lists online.

Then, I knew there were too many games to research so I chose the most popular ones like Catan, TTR, etc. Turns out I don't like Catan but I bought it blind anyway based on the ratings and suggestions.

The ideal, of course, is to play-before-you buy (because no amount of reviews or recommendations can substitute for that). In the past (pre-2005) I was pretty much the only gamer in my area, plus all my games had to be imported from overseas, so I ended up buying many games that were "duds" (not bad games; just not enjoyed by fellow gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.