The Others» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant: Mark for Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
REMEMBER: This is the Variant forum, no negativity please if you hate variants.

Issues to address:
1) Controller does not feel special enough, although that one Sin card per Sin is nice.
2) Hard to block/slow-down/redirect Heroes.
3) No way to add defense to a Monster.
4) Ranged combat is rarely useful, tempt the Sin to the streets.
5) No desire to kill Acolytes as they can then use their ability.
6) Orbital Strike not that good.
7) Occasional mission where stacked Monsters cannot be overcome by sacrificial Heroes.

--------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Of course this will alter balance.
This is a buff to the Sin.
Minor nerf to Sin being that the marked Acolyte can no longer enter a district.
Minor nerf to Sin is that Controller gets pulled to the streets.
Hopefully add some value to ranged combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Then what happens when you have no Shooters in play? I think it's a bad idea to make ranged combat necessary to counter specific Sin powers/effects/strategies because FAITH cannot reliably have them available. I would focus more on a simple power boost to the ranged attack itself if you want to keep the game more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I feel like a solution to many problems may be the ability to shoot into buildings from adjacent squares.

I haven't played yet, but it seems like a possible solution to the turtle problem and the weakness of ranged attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Cheers for the feed back. Sincerely appreciate it.

I do acknowledge the wordiness of one monster gaining 4 abilities. I think of it like an interesting expansion after you've learnt all the rules inside and out and want to add more complexity.

Dormammu wrote:
Then what happens when you have no Shooters in play?
Yes this is true, I thought about this. It does emphasise the importance of a Shooter. If you don't have a Shooter you need to make sure you don't get caught else you will take 2 wounds when fleeing. This is where the Sin can have more control over a street space forcing Heroes to redirect and think more about the path they will take.

The biggest problem I have with my variant idea is when you have no Shooter, then a Hero with 3 wounds gets caught by a Controlled Acolyte, then they can only cleanse, pass or die.

Paul G wrote:
I feel like a solution to many problems may be the ability to shoot into buildings from adjacent squares.
I didn't want to change the rules. This way I can incorporate this into the current rules like as if it was an expansion.

Stacking a district is not a big problem, Heroes can still kill Monsters and win. With your suggestion: There would be no safe place for a Monster to hide from ranged Heroes. Non-retaliatory kills on any monster. Would make it easy to counter the Hate! Sin card (ie. Stack Monsters at altar). Not saying your idea is a bad idea. You may need to counter balance it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
It can be. That pentagram token mission is a good example - don't know which it is but it showed up here. Can be mostly unwinnable. Also not sure about non retaliatory kills, but "swarm te shooters" seems like a cool possible strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Yes it would make that Pentagram mission much easier. That mission can be brutal if you don't plan carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Does the Acolyte gain all four of these abilities?

Instead of -cannot be killed in non-ranged fight-
Why not make it just harder to do so? like it requires twice normal to kill- bringing it up to controller status in defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
diversionArchitect wrote:
Does the Acolyte gain all four of these abilities?

Instead of -cannot be killed in non-ranged fight-
Why not make it just harder to do so? like it requires twice normal to kill- bringing it up to controller status in defense.

Yes, Acolyte gains all 4.

Cheers for interesting 4 defense idea. Possibly doesn't punish a Bruiser as he can still easily kill a 4 defense monster then move 2 spaces to where he wants to go without any penalty, although it may slow him down. Where as my idea would cause 2 wounds. Will think about it.

Thought about it...
4 defense in non-ranged fights:
- In close combat the Bruiser would still be better than a ranged Hero when vs the Controlled Acolyte.
- Ranged Hero not that special. Still don't really need them.
- Don't feel disadvantaged when you don't have a ranged Hero.

Invincible in non-ranged fights:
- Annoying to fear the streets when you don't have a ranged Hero.
- Ranged Hero is the only way to kill them. Ranged Hero is special.

Winner: 4 defense in non-ranged fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Makes the Orbital Strike more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Paul G wrote:

I wouldn't change the rules. But introduce a new one.

The following rule will help with an extreme stacking and unable to complete mission issue. Can force Monsters out onto the streets.

Probably don't need to buff ranged Leaders as they have good abilities.
Don't need to buff Fixers/Bruisers that have gain ranged equipment cards.

So really only need to buff Shooters.

A new action (instead of Cleanse/Fight).

Only one usage per Shooter. Otherwise Shooter will just spam it any chance they get and you would need many tokens to remember.

--------------------------------

Shooters gain Explosive Breach:
Once per game. When in a Monster-free street space, instead of a Cleanse/Fight action you may breach the side of a building, allowing ranged fights between this space and one adjacent district. Place a fire token in this street space and the district.

There may be some tiles where instead of a building you may be exploding trees or other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Converted rules into a nice image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.