$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
don't the two expansion boxes (Suppressed Memories and Recurring Nightmares) come out in the Fall? So ikely two scenarios then, the Hangman Hill zombie one and the Dunwich re-Horror. Does anyone have information on anything sooner or are people just saying things they hope are true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The next two announced scenarios are those in the fall. There is no mention of any others at all. Anything else you hear is just people being hopeful or wishful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Cheesburglar wrote:
don't the two expansion boxes (Suppressed Memories and Reoccurring Memories) come out in the Fall? So likely two scenarios then... Does anyone have information on anything sooner or are people just saying things they hope are true?

This is basically 90% of what people post here regarding this game. You can almost see the hackles rising if you suggest any sort of disconnect between either those hopes or FFG's promotional material and the actual facts of the game.

Witness for example some of the umbrage that gets taken if you state that there is very limited replayability in the game. And it's usually from people who have played it far less than I have... I guess it's that wishful thinking thing. I suppose I'm the bearer of bad news crushing their expectations and, of course, they take it out on the messenger...

In a few months hopefully we'll start to see more objective commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:
don't the two expansion boxes (Suppressed Memories and Reoccurring Memories) come out in the Fall? So likely two scenarios then... Does anyone have information on anything sooner or are people just saying things they hope are true?

This is basically 90% of what people post here regarding this game. You can almost see the hackles rising if you suggest any sort of disconnect between either those hopes or FFG's promotional material and the actual facts of the game.

Witness for example some of the umbrage that gets taken if you state that there is very limited replayability in the game. And it's usually from people who have played it far less than I have... I guess it's that wishful thinking thing. I suppose I'm the bearer of bad news crushing their expectations and, of course, they take it out on the messenger...

You aren't the only one annoyed. I think the rose colored glasses will come off fairly quick when people get to their second playthrough of the last scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Cheesburglar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:

You aren't the only one annoyed. I think the rose colored glasses will come off fairly quick when people get to their second playthrough of the last scenarios.

But that might not ever happen. Most people don't game that much, it'll maybe get one play a month, and in four months there will be two new scenarios out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played scenario 1 - 4 times.
2 were the same map but different puzzles and stories.
Once was a barely similar map but pretty different outcomes and story.
The 4th time was an absolutely different map entirely but about 60% of the store from my 2nd game.

I've played scenario 2 - twice. Map fairly similar, story completely different.

Played scenario 3 only once.

Played scenario 4 twice and the map was identical but the way it played out was TOTALLY different.

I think people will be fine with the replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:
The 4th time was an absolutely different map entirely but about 60% of the store from my 2nd game.

Played scenario 4 twice and the map was identical but the way it played out was TOTALLY different.

Thanks for your feelings/report.

I think it really depends on what the group looks for when they replay a game. I replay EH and AH all the time and they have no story other than the emergent one from the encounters. Because MoM 2E has such a STRONG story already, people don't have to exercise the sense that the story can be created by the experiences/choices you make.

And I fall somewhere in the middle. I had a very fun time replaying both scenarios 1 & 3 but wished I didn't know how to solve everything or what I was looking for before it was mentioned in the story. The interaction between players really made the experiences wildly different in the end, but I really want to see them push the app to the limit when it comes to expressions of a scenario and it's variety.

The good news is that the scenarios they release can only get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I guess I’m coming from the same place as you Soak. Really love EH and have spent most weekends solidly playing it with my better half over the last year and we’re nowhere near tired of it. I hadn’t experienced 1E but jumped at 2E because of the 2 player co-op angle. We’ve now finished Scenario #1 twice, and once each of #3 & #4 (#2 bugged out so couldn’t complete) and I just can’t imagine revisiting these stories over and over - the scenarios/stories will feel played out by the second play imho, third at a push. That’ll wind up with a generous 12 plays for a £90 game which feels really a bit stingy.
On the other hand, those initial playthroughs were really great - so I do have hope for the future of MoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Flying Bird wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:

I mean... What did you do for 1e then? It's exactly the same deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Deano2099 wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:

But that might not ever happen. Most people don't game that much, it'll maybe get one play a month, and in four months there will be two new scenarios out.

Hell. At that pace you can replay the first scenario and it'll feel all new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
vincentdante wrote:

Same in that it's limited replay, or the same amount of limited replay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
thearkhammonk wrote:

Interesting, I didn't thin this was even possible in the app as it works now. You seem to be the only one reporting this. Do you mean a completely different outcome or *story*? I've played it three times with exactly the same thing happening. Would you mind explaining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Deano2099 wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:

Hell. At that pace you can replay the first scenario and it'll feel all new.

Yup, probably will do! I probably game about one evening a week, which is average I'd have thought? If not above average? But there are a lot of games in rotation, and just picked up Scythe and Defenders of the Last Stand, and Seafall is out soon. If this is going to be the only game you buy all year, or you want something you can play every night for months on end then it's clearly not for you.

Point I'm trying to get across is that those people are in the minority. Doesn't mean I'm not all for new content, the more the better, but there's no rush, y'know. The contents of the base game aren't going to "go off" within the next six months. If we only get two new scenarios this year and have to wait until 2017 for more, that's fine too. There's other stuff to play while we wait for new scenarios, and if I know one thing from buying FFG games, it's that expansions are coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

Point I'm trying to get across is that those people are in the minority. Doesn't mean I'm not all for new content, the more the better, but there's no rush, y'know.

Quite so. But minorities can be noisy. There are a couple of people determined to be unhappy about replayability (and they keep popping up in various threads... no agenda, though, I'm sure). And a good few saying they are happy with it.

It's certainly a problem, is my guess, if you're gaming 4 times a week for 4 hours at a go. For the rest of us mere mortals with other stuff to do, I agree with you: it'll wait for some new content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soakman wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

I think it really depends on what the group looks for when they replay a game. I replay EH and AH all the time and they have no story other than the emergent one from the encounters. Because MoM 2E has such a STRONG story already, people don't have to exercise the sense that the story can be created by the experiences/choices you make.

And I fall somewhere in the middle. I had a very fun time replaying both scenarios 1 & 3 but wished I didn't know how to solve everything or what I was looking for before it was mentioned in the story. The interaction between players really made the experiences wildly different in the end, but I really want to see them push the app to the limit when it comes to expressions of a scenario and it's variety.

I love Arkham and Eldritch, but those are completely different beasts in terms of what sorts of storytelling they encapsulate. In Eldritch, you're completely telling your own tale since (other than the Prelude cards) there isn't a particular story being told. It's up to the players to fill in the gaps and sew together a story from the Great Old One, the places they travel, the mysteries they solve, the rumors that pop up, and of course, the encounters they have with various monsters, gates, and locations. The player is in the writer's chair and if a gaming group decides to play the game 100% mechanically and ignore the story, they can do so, since the narrative doesn't hinge the game together.

The Mansions scenarios are about telling a specific story. They have a certain characters, a certain setting, an opening, a build-up, narrative points that happen during the course of the scenario, a climax, and a conclusion. Now, there is some variability (an impressive amount, considering how static the stories are meant to be), but players that come in expecting each game to be 100% different with branching paths and multiple endings are asking for a little too much in my opinion. Hell, modern day video games haven't even accomplished this to the truest sense. At that point, you're asking a game to be something it was never intended to be.

No play through of a scenario is going to be as good as the first play through. Unless you invent some sort of short-term memory erasing machine, that will always be true. But, a lot of the fun comes from the fact that (a) you may not beat these scenarios on the first try (b) there is enough variety with the random maps/puzzles/items that the games can certainly feel different in-between plays and (c) playing the game and introducing it to different groups of people will change how you see the scenarios.

If Eldritch is more of your story telling speed, then that's awesome. That's why Eldritch still exists. I don't think the designers wanted MoM 2nd to replace Eldritch. Mansions offers a much more detailed, honed in story. I think the variability and randomness is a nice bonus, but I think it was always meant to be more direct.

That being said, who knows what future scenarios will bring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheesburglar wrote:
vincentdante wrote:

It's limited replay value since it only had 3 scenarios worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dexter Ward
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be super cool if they would implement the mini expansions from 1e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
BreadRising wrote:
soakman wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

I love Arkham and Eldritch, but those are completely different beasts in terms of what sorts of storytelling they encapsulate. In Eldritch, you're completely telling your own tale since (other than the Prelude cards) there isn't a particular story being told. It's up to the players to fill in the gaps and sew together a story from the Great Old One, the places they travel, the mysteries they solve, the rumors that pop up, and of course, the encounters they have with various monsters, gates, and locations. The player is in the writer's chair and if a gaming group decides to play the game 100% mechanically and ignore the story, they can do so, since the narrative doesn't hinge the game together.

The Mansions scenarios are about telling a specific story. They have a certain characters, a certain setting, an opening, a build-up, narrative points that happen during the course of the scenario, a climax, and a conclusion. Now, there is some variability (an impressive amount, considering how static the stories are meant to be), but players that come in expecting each game to be 100% different with branching paths and multiple endings are asking for a little too much in my opinion. Hell, modern day video games haven't even accomplished this to the truest sense. At that point, you're asking a game to be something it was never intended to be.

No play through of a scenario is going to be as good as the first play through. Unless you invent some sort of short-term memory erasing machine, that will always be true. But, a lot of the fun comes from the fact that (a) you may not beat these scenarios on the first try (b) there is enough variety with the random maps/puzzles/items that the games can certainly feel different in-between plays and (c) playing the game and introducing it to different groups of people will change how you see the scenarios.

If Eldritch is more of your story telling speed, then that's awesome. That's why Eldritch still exists. I don't think the designers wanted MoM 2nd to replace Eldritch. Mansions offers a much more detailed, honed in story. I think the variability and randomness is a nice bonus, but I think it was always meant to be more direct.

That being said, who knows what future scenarios will bring!

If I could fave comments on this site instead of just giving a like, I would do so with this comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
vincentdante wrote:
Cheesburglar wrote:
vincentdante wrote:

It's limited replay value since it only had 3 scenarios worth playing.

3 scenarios x 3 investigative clue chains = 9 plays in the box versus 4 in 2e?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesburglar wrote:

3 scenarios x 3 investigative clue chains = 9 plays in the box versus 4 in 2e?

As I think has been noted in several of these threads, many people (myself included) don't find the artificial clue hunting in 1e to be all that replayable.

But if you find no replay value in 2e and go strictly by scenario count, then this is not a game you should buy or keep bothering with.

Basically it's about the journey, not the destination, to use a cliche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.