Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing the first scenario I found that my Android tablet was getting an almost empty battery charge. So as it was getting late (I was doing a lot of rule checking so the scenario was taking ages) I decided to save the game, recharge the device and resume the game tomorrow. Now, I can leave the game in situ but it might mean that I end up sharing the table space with breakfast, which might not be the best idea, so I am thinking of physically stowing the game away. This prompted me to wonder what the best mechanism for doing this might be.

Obviously some things are tracked by the app, so restoring those aspects (tile placement, on-tile tokens etc.) are pretty straightforward. However, there are other aspects that aren't automatically obvious when restoring.

1)Players hand of cards + clue tokens.
2)Card decks with discard piles (BTW I assume discarded damage and sanity cards are kept seperate from the main decks).
3)Position of investigators and monsters on the board.

Decks are pretty easy they can just be put away somewhere maintaining the current card order.

My idea for maintaining the players cards and tokens is to put each individuals cards and tokens together in an individual baggie. It would be important to ensure that any flipped cards are maintained in the correct orientation.

Finally to record the investigators and monsters, and optionally the state of each players hand, I plan to take a picture of the game state on my tablet/phone, which I can use to rebuild the correct game state.

What do people think? Have I forgotten anything? Do you use some other method to save the state of the physical components if you have ever done this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just take several photographs of the board and player state.

Also, discarded damage and sanity cards are immediately shuffled back into their decks. (RRG pg 8 "Discard")

EDIT: As for damage / horror players currently have I would first photograph them in their correct orientation and then flip face up all the face down ones and snap another photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should make an insert for the box similar to T.I.M.E Stories'... it does a great "save state" of a game in progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what we did, pretty much as you described...

1) Bag each investigator's cards/tokens separately as you suggest (face-up/down Horror & Damage are the main things to take care with, so just have a procedure you remember)

2) The order of the card decks doesn't really matter. Most of them are face-up & alphabetical (so you can find the card you need when instructed by the app), with the exception of the Spells (pick a random one out of the set of 5 when instructed) and Damage/Horror (shuffled each time you discard anyway). So just pack them away & maybe give the Damage & Horror decks a shuffle when you resume the game if you're worried you may have accidentally revealed the position of any cards.

3) Take some photos of the board, in particular the position of the components that aren't tracked in the app (because you could recreate the room layout from the app anyway): investigators, barricades, fire/darkness, monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maybe a small bag pr person?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just bagged each players items separately and took pictures of the board and how each players stuff was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.